Permanent link to this item
COMMERCIAL., Issue 10465, 8 November 1897
The amount of revenue collected at the Customb mse on '• '■!- -dcarod-for consumption to-dav w £1,109 18s lid. What is said to be the largest sura ever paid for duty at one time in the world’s history was handed, in the form of a cheque for £50,513 Us sd, to the Customs authorities at London on September 27, by Lipton. This huge payment represented a clearance of 1,300 tons of teas. THE LABOR MARKET. Mr Skene reports that November opens with bright sunshine and good cheer for farmers and sheep men. Ploughmen and boys and lads fit for the country are iu demand. Stations are slowly wakening up; dairies are la full swing. Wages satisfactory. GRAIN AND PRODUCE REPORT, Messrs Donald Reid and Co. report that prices ruled as under at their auction sale to-day Oats.—Competition was weak, and nearly all prime feed lots were passed in. Medium to good sold at Is 8d to Is 9d; inferior. Is fid to Is 7d per bushel (sacks extra). Wheat.—Wc submitted several lots of fowl wheat, which were well competed for, and sold at—for whole wheat 3s 3d to 3s sd; broken, 2s 3d to 3s lid per bushel (sacks in). Potatoes.—The supply forward is quite out of proportion to the demand, and even at the reduced prices current sales are difficult to effect. Best Derwents sold at 35s to 40s; medium to good, 25s to 30s per ton (sacks in). Chaff.—The demand is confined to primequality, and even for this class the inquiry is limited. Best oaten sheaf sold at £3 5s to £3 10s; medium to good, £2 los to £3 per ton (bags extra). Messrs Dalgety and Co., Limited, report having held their usual weekly auction sale. There was a poor attendance of buyers. Oats.—There was a belter inquiry during the week for good bright samples. We offered several lots to-day, and quote : Prime miUing, Is lOd to Is lid ; medium, Is 8d to Is Old ; inferior, Is 6d to Is 7d. Wheat.—We only offered a few lots of fowl feed, which sold from 3s 3d to 3s 7d. Potatoes.—The demand for these is practically nil. We quote; Prime Northerns, to £2; prime Southerns, £llss to £ll7s fid. Chaff.—The market rates are on a par with those ruling at last week’s sales. We quote: Prime well-cut chaff, £3 7s 6d to £3los ; medium, £2 15s to £3 2s fid; inferior, £2 to £2los. MOSGIEL WOOLLEN COMPANY, LIMITED. The following is the report of the directors to be submitted at the twenty-fourth annual general meeting of shareholders in the Mosgiel Woollen Factory Company, Limited, on the 16th inst. “The demand for the company’s woollen goods for the past year has been satisfactory-. The profit and loss account shows a balance of £7,87 T Is, from which the 4 per cent, interim dividend paid in May has to be deducted, leaving the sum of £4,937 Is now to be dealt with. From this sum the duetto's recommend the payment of a further dividend of 4 per cent., making 8 per cent, for the year, amounting to £5,880, and carrying forward the balance of £1,E97 Is to the new profit and loss account. The directors are advised that it is desirable to have the memorandum and articles of association, which have been in existence since 1873, altered and amended so as to make them more workable and in accordance with modern practice. The retiring directors are Messrs E. E. Cargill and H. F. Hardy, both of whom are eligible, and offer themselves for reelection. The auditors—Messrs W. Hislo’p and A. Bartleman—also retire, but are eligible for re-election.” MINING NOTES. The Reefton Mining Alpine Extended produced 420z of amalgam from 310 tons—a clean-up.
COMMERCIAL., Issue 10465, 8 November 1897
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.
These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.
Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.
Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.
Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.
Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.
Print, save, zoom in and more.
If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.
The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.