Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


George Sinclair, aged about seventy years, living by himself at Mount Cargill, was found. dead on the floor of bis house on Friday evening. Dtcuastd had been in had health for some years past, and had partly lo3t tho power of speech through.cancer of the tongue, from which he is supposed to hivo ultimately died. He was iu very indigent circumstances, and subsialedmainly on the charity of neighbors and a few shillings a week he received from the Benevolent Institution Trustees. He was last seen alive on iriday morning by a girl named Argue, who left ' a bottle of milk and some other articles of food by his bedside. In tho evening tho girl's brother called at deceased's house, and on looking through a window ho saw him lyiug dead on the floor. Sergeant Gecrin and Constable Lawrence removed the body to the morgue at Port Chalmers. Deceased's wife is said to reside at Maori Hill. The coroner was to hold an inquest on the body this afternoon.

James Pollock, a married man, thirtynine years of age, employed as surfaceman by the Morninglon Tramway Company, met with a most serious accident early on Saturday evening. He bad come out of the billiard room in Watson's Hotel, and was about to go home for.his tea, when, meeting a child of Mr James Watson on the first floor landing, he asked her if Bhe would like to see him slide down the bannisters. Thereupon he placed his right leg upon the banistpr, and almost simultaneously grasped with his right hand for the railing along the landing, the presumption being that feeling that ho had overbalanced he attempted to save himself by securing a hold upon the railing. In this, however, ho was unsuccessful, and the unfortunate man fell headlong down the well of the stairway, a distance of 16ft, to the tiled floor beneath, striking it with his forehead.' Assistance was at once obtained, and Dr Martin, who war passing at the time, was called in. It was found that Pollock had sustained a fracture of the skull, and he wa3 re-moved to the hospital in the ambulance waggon. On inquiry at the institution this afternoon we were informed that Pollock was doiao- as well as could be expected. The doctors will probably operate on his skull to-morrow I morning.

Robert Jack, aged twenty-four, died at Palmerston op Saturday morning. Dr Neale states that death was due to influeczi, accelerated by incompetent nursing. An inquest will be held on the body. David Gillies, engineer at the Walton Park coal mine, fell down the shaft this morning while going to repair the pump. There is very little hope of him being found alive, as there is supposed to bo 20ft of water in the shaft.

* North Otago Times' says that two youths had an eventful experience on Saturday afternoon. They ventured outside the harbor in a dingey, and were either overtaken by the qualms of mal de mer or were carried by the force of the wind and sea along the coast. They turned towards the shore and ventured to land through the surf pear the Woollen Factory. The undertaking was a hazardous one, but it was accomplished. The boat was upset in the surf, and the two youths were thrown into the water, but so near in shore that they were able to obtain a footing, and scrambled up the beach.

Margaret Thelwall died suddenly at Gis borne from natural .causes.

WELLINGTON, October 18. A young man named James Nelson had his skull fractured by the branch of a tree falling on him at Parkville, near Eketahuha. There is but slight hope of his recovery. HAWERA. October 18.

A married woman named Catherine Brien was found on Saturday evening in a fit. She never rallied, and died on Sunday morning. At the inquest the medical evidence showed ,that she was suffering from a form of Bright's disease, which caused the fit and. contributed to the fatal result. A verdict was returned accordingly. TIMARU, October 18

A woman named Cairns, aged sixty-four, living alone in a cottage, was found dead by her daughter on visiting her yesterday. She seemed to have died while saying her prayers before getting into bed on Saturday night, as she was on her knees with her beads in her hand.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

ACCIDENTS AND FATALITIES., Issue 10447, 18 October 1897

Word Count

ACCIDENTS AND FATALITIES. Issue 10447, 18 October 1897

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.