An important function in connection with Freemasonry in the South Island took place in the hall, Moray place, last night—viz., the installation of Bro, James Gore as R.W.D.6.M. of New Zealand South, S.C.— when over 200 brethren of the different constitutions were present. P.P.G.M. Bro. Fyke acted as installing officer, and performed the duties connected therewith in an able manner. After the ceremony of installation the R.W.D.6.M. invested the D.D.6.M. (Bro. L. Court) and S.D.G.M. (Bro. W. Nees); and the D.G.M. of Otago and Southland, EC., performed a like office for the remaining officers of D.G.L. as follows S.W., Bro, W. Jeffrey (Lodge St. Andrew); J.W., Bro. C. Macandrew (Celtic); S.D., Bro. MTherson (Celtic); J.D., Bro. W. N. Basstian (Otago Kilwinning) ; secretary, Bro. H. Neill (Otago Kilwinning); treasurer, Bro. Cberris (St. Andrew); chaplain, Bro. Barratt; D;C., Bro. Colder (St. Andrew); organist, Bro. F. W. Bayley (Celtic); Bible bearer, Bro. J.TM'Landress (Celtic); sword bearer, Bro, W. Hooper (Celtic); 1.G., Bro. Nugent (Bt. Andrew); stewards—Bros. Sinclair, R. G. Anderson, T. S. Jeffrey, D. Murray, G. C. Jeffrey, F. Taylor, H. L. Nnchel (Westland), W. Beo' (Oamaru), R. Brco and H. Feldwigk (Southland), and W. Falconer (Blenheim). The D.G.S.W., E.G, Bro, Sir R. Stout, then delivered an address on Masonry, exhorting the brethren to preserve the tenets of Masonry pure and unsullied, so that they might be handed over to their successors as they had received them. Prayer having been offered by the chaplain, the D.G. Lodge was then closed. The following lodges were represented D. of N.Z, South, S.C.; D.G.L. of Otago and Southland, £.C.; Grand Lodge of South Australia; Hiram, 2,008, E.G. ; St. John Kilwinning, 667, S.C. ; St. Andrew, 432, S.C.; St. Patrick’s, 468, J.C.; Abercorn, E.C.; Robert Burns, 604, S.C.; St. John (Invercargill), 610, S.C. ; Southern Cross, E.C.; Otago, 844, E.C.; Celtic, 477, S. ; Port Chalmers Marine, 942, E.G. ; Dunedin, 931, E.C.; Cargill Kilwinning, 632, S.C.; and Clutha, 460, S.C. A choir, under the leadership of Bro. Barth (W. M. Lodge Otago), contributed the music incidental to the ceremony; and Bro. Williams acted as D.G.D.C. A smoke concert was afterwards held in the Choral Hall, at which a large number of local and visiting brethren attended. The Dunedin Orchestral Society contributed several selections, and Messrs H. B, Smith and Densem sustained the vocal portion of the programme.
Permanent link to this item
MASONIC., Evening Star, Issue 8030, 5 October 1889
MASONIC. Evening Star, Issue 8030, 5 October 1889
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.