Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


THE HOSPITAL MATCHES, The following concludes our report of the football tournament which was played at Carisbrook on Saturday afternoon ALHAMBRA v. DUNEDIN, Alhambra.— Back, Foster ; three-quartere-Noel, Roalieaux; half, Crawford; forwards M'Kenzie, Rohertaon, M'Laughlin. Ddnbdin -Back, Mill; halves—Turton, Turnbull; forwarda-Hunter, Harper, Driver, Stephenson. Messrs Martin and Jack umpired; Mr A. Y. Smith acted as referee.

The Dunedin players rushed the ball to the Alhambra’s quarters, and after some fast play Harper scored, Noel just getting up too late to save a score. No goal resulted. After the kick-out Hunter and Stephenson put in some good work, Foster being unable to return the ball, and Hunter scored the second try for Dunedin. A goal resulting from the place-kick, the score was thus: Dunedin 4 points, Alhambra nil. The Alhambra then got on a good rush, and nearly scored, and some interesting play ensued in midfield, Turton, Hunter, Stephenson, Crawford, Restieaux, and M'Kenzie working hard for their respective sides. Turnbull then made a good run, which was more than returned by Noel, who sprinted up the field in splendid style. Dunedin were kept on the defensive until half-time. In the second spell ,§tephenspn came away with a splendid dribble, which was stopped by Crawford, the Alhambra players livening up considerably, Stephenson and Tqrnbull then indulged in some effective passing, Turnbull getting a mark in Alhambra's nuarters, The kick was a good one, but lacked distance. Restieaux then got away, but Mill collared him and then stopped Noel —to whom Restieaux passed—from getting clear. Play was, however, taken to midfield, hut Dunedin gained considerable ground by a free kick being awarded them for off-side play on Alhambra’s part, Crawford, M'Kenzie, and Robertson indulged ip some effective passing, which was returned by Harper and Turnbull, and the game thus ended in a victory f|or the Duuediil by 4 points to nil. The next game was

UNION v. CAVERSHAM (Juniors). Union.— Buck, W. Thomas; halves Porteous, Beadle ; forwards—Thomas, M'Farlane (2), Wright. Cavursuau. Back, Clarke; halves Andrews, Cunningham; forwards—Jefferson, Briggs, Gillies, Hanning. Messrs Briggs and Forsyth umpired; Mr J. Marchbanks acted as referee. The Caversham rushed the ball to the Union’s quarters, but the forwards of the latter club rushed the leather back, and M’Farlane scored. The place-kick at goal was a success, the score being: Union 3 points, Caversham nil. Porteous then made a splendid run, and after some fast exciting play Thomas scored for the Union. Porteous essayed the kick, but failed, although the attempt was a good one. After the kickout Briggs and Jefferson played well for Caversham, but Beadle came away, spoiling a. chance V>y passing forward, Caversham then played well together, and made things rather warm for Union, but VV. Thomas and H. Thomas relieved their side from danger.

Play was centred for some time in the second spell, Beadle putting in some good work for the Maroons. Briggs then got away, but could not do much, as the Union men tackled very quickly. Caversham, nevertheless, brought the ball to the Union’s quarters, from where M'Farlane dribbled the ball to midfield. Beadle then made a good run and scored, and the place-kick resulted in a goal being placed, the scores being: Union 7 points, Caversham nil, Caversham got on a good rush. Beadle stopped the players hut could not prevent a score being recorded. The place-kick was not successful, the Caversham being six points behind the senior club, and the scores were unaltered when time was called.

The next match played was KAIKORAI v. HIGH SCHOOL.

Kaikokai.— Bick, Thompson; three - quarters— M’lntyre, Austin; lorwatds Torrance, Duncan, Armit, Millar. Hioii School.— Back, Oran; three-quarters— Owen, Taiaroa; forwards—Montgomery, M’Brearty, Mandbl, Ucenau.

Owen, for the School, got a try, which he converted into a goal. Kaikorai then took the ball down the field, but from a pass by Cran Owen again scored, the place-kick being successful. High School 6 points, Kaikorai nil. Cran, by a clever run up the field, scored, and Owen kicked a goal. Duncan scored for Kaikorai, and Torrance kicked the goal, and Montgomery then scored another try for the School, but the kick was a failure. Pinal result: School 10 points, Kaikorai 3 points. SECOND DRAW. In the first spell between the ZingariRichmond and Pirates, who met in the second draw, Bell (Pirates) scored a trjr. Rallingshaw got across for the ZingariRichmond, but no goal was kicked. In the second spell Rallingshaw again scored, and Edwards placed a goal. Zingari-Kichmond 4 points, Pirates 1. Morris scored for the Pirates, and Macdonald placed a fine goal, thus equalising the score. Shortly afterwards M'Beath scored for the Pirates, and Macdonald placed another goal; the Pirates thus winning by 7 points to 4. Dunedin met the Union Club, and defeated them by 3 points to nil. Turnbull, Hunter, and Harper scored for the Blues, none of the place-kicks being successful. Mill, Turnbull, and Harper (Dunedin), Thomas, Porteous, and M'Farlane (Union), all played hard games. The High School should have had a bye, but it was arranged that they should meet the Zingari-Richmond, whom they defeated by 6 points to 2. Owen and Montgomery obtained tries for the School, which M'Brearty and Montgomery converted into goals. THIRD DRAW. The Pirates, Dunedin, and High School Clubs being left in the final, the bye fell to the second-named team, the School meeting the Pirates and defeating them by 7 points to 5. Owen (two tries) and Heenan scored, and Montgomery kicked tho two goals. For the Pirates A. W. Morris, Macdonald, and Bell registered tries, from only one of which Macdonald succeeded in placing goals. The Dunedin Club then played a scratch team, and defeated them by 4 points to nil, Stephenson potting a goal and Hunter scoring a try. FINAL DRAW. The Dunedin and High School teams played off for the final, and after an exciting game the Dunedin Club won by 4 points to 3. Owen made matters lively for the Blues for some time, and nearly scored, but Stephenson and Driver took the play to lers dangerous ground by smart runs. The School forwards then rallied, and, keeping well on tho ball, took it to Dunedin’s territory, where it remained until Hunter, Harper, and Mill transferred play to midfield. The same players carried the leather over the School line, but the ball was kicked dead. The Blues kept up the pressure, and Stephenson scored, Turnbull registering the major point. Turnbull then made a slashing run, and scored, but the place-kick was a failure. In tho second spell Cran scored a try for the School, and Montgomery safely negotiated tho desired goal. The game was toughly fought to tho end of the spell, the scores being unaltered, and the Dunedin Club thus won the championship. ASSOCIATION. On Saturday next, on tho Caledonian Ground, a match will he played between a team selected by Mr F. Harper from Rugby Union players and an eleven representing the DunedinandSuburban Association Clubs. To enable the Selection Committee of tho latter to pick the team for this match a trial game was played on Saturday on the Caledonian Ground between teams of Probables and Improbables, which the former won by eight goals to one. The latter were overmatched from the start, but some good individual play was witnessed on their side, notably by Pountley (who scored their goal), W. Carver, Douglas, J. Laing, Goughian, and G. Ross. For the winners, Salmond, J. Morris, the two M'Millans, P. Ross, Pollock, and A. Carver played well. The goals were kicked by the following:— P. Ross (3), A. Carver (2), Anderson, D, and G. M'Millan (1 each). After the conclusion of the match the following team was chosen to play against Mr Harper’s team next Saturday :—J. and W. Morris and P. Rosa (Thistle); Moncrieff (Northern); Cleland, A., Carver, and Gibbs (Southern) j Pollock, Salmond, D. and G. M'Millan (Wakari). As Mr Harper’s team will include several old Association players and clever dribblers, a fast and tough match may reasonably be anticipated.

As a result of Saturday’s tournament, close on L2O will be handed over to the Dunedin Hospital authorities. The Auckland representative team who recently visited the South played on Saturday a team chosen from the various clubs in Auckland, and defeated them by 16 points to 2.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

FOOTBALL., Issue 8025, 30 September 1889

Word Count

FOOTBALL. Issue 8025, 30 September 1889

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.