Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


AUCKLAND v. WELLINGTON. The match Auckland v. Wellington was played at Newtown on Saturday. There was a large attendance, about 4,000 being present; but, it being optional with those attending whether they paid or not, only L 64 was collected. The ground was very greasy, and fast men had little show of displaying their abilities, while scrums were plentiful. Lee (of tue Native team) supplanted Roberts in the Wellington team. Wellington played four three-quarter-backs and two half-backs. Messrs Clayton (Auckland) and M'Curdell (Wellington) were umpires. George Williams (of the Native team) was referee, while line umpires were appointed. Auckland had the call in the betting all the week, but with the wet day the odds shortened, and when the game commenced it was an even money chance. Nicholls kicked off, and after a scrum play appeared in Auckland quarters, where Thompson marked, but the kick at gaol was a miserable one. Scrums at Auckland's twenty-five followed, and though the visitors had two free kicks awarded them, they were of little avail, as Gage, with long kicks, returned the ball into touch in Auckland's territory. Heffernan at length headed a rush which invaded Wellington quarters, but Sim relieved his Bide by a smart run to the Auckland twenty-five, and the forwards carried the play to near the goal line, but Elliott, Rees, and M'Lean worked the ball back to neutral territory, where give-and-take play followed. An interchange of kicks between the backs saw Warbrick mull the ball, and Ellison pounced on it and carried it over the line, from which Nicholls placed an easy goal. Immediately after play was started Gage, who was showing brilliant form, made a good run and looked like scoring, when he was thrown into touch. Uninteresting play followed, and then Auckland, with a dribbling rush, carried the play to the Wellington line, where one of the Wellington backs passed to the full-back, who touched down. The ball was, however, called back by the referee, and Wellington had a merry time of it on the line, until at length the scene of play waß shifted to Auckland's twenty-five. Ellison, in his eagerness to score, took the ball off-side and gave the visitors a free kick, and put Wellington on the defensive. Play was again back to the visitors' twenty-five, but Jervis making a loDg kick, which was mulled by Lee, the ball went out of boundß in Wellington quarters. Auckland then got a free kick for off-side play by Ellison, but no score resulted. Auckland had the best of some scrums which followed, but play was brought back to their twenty-five, where Thompson marked, and Collins was entrusted with the kick, from which no score was made. The Auckland backs were now making effort after effort to get away, but the slippery ground was against them until a,v length Jervia got through, Sim, the full-back, slipping as he charged him. Jervis scored the try, but Lecky was not successful with the place Kisk, the ball striking the crossbar and bounding back into the field of play. Another couple of inches would have seen a goal for Auckland and a drawn game. In the second spell Auckland kicked off and a long Beries of scrums took place about the centre of the field, after which Wellington got the ball near Auckland's twenty-five. For the first ten minutes Wellington had all the best of the spell, but eventually Jervis drove Wellington back by a long drop. After uninteresting play Collins kicked well up the field, wnere Warbrick seoured the ball, but the Wellington forwards charging him without giving the necessary five yards a scrummage followed near th«

line. The bad passing of Auckland gave Wellington a show, which they were not slow to take advantage of. Jervis again came to the rescue. From the loose play that resulted Collins marked near the Auckland twenty-five and had a drop at goal, the result being a failure, the .ball going into touch. A rush by Auckland along the line near the Wellington twentyfive was neutralised by Collins with & long drop. Responding to the call of their supporters, Auckland made a dashing rush, and Po .and and Rees had what seemed to be a certain score before them, but wild passing saved Wellington, and the ball was again in neutral territory. From this time until the finish tho game was uninteresting, except that M'lntyre, of the local team, and Masefield, of the visitors, made good runs, but no score resulted. At 5.5 p.m. the referee's whistle sounded, leaving Wellington victors by 3 points (a goal from a try) to 1 point. For Auckland Jervis, Rees, Braund, Jeffries, Lecky, and Heffernan were most to tho fore, but all worked well. Gage, Sim, Thompson, Ellison, M'lntyre, ana Johnston played a hard game for the local team. TARANAKI v. WANGANW. The match between Taranaki and Wanganui came off on Saturday in the presence of a large number of spectators. The Taranaki team averaged a ttone heavier than the local team. Taranaki were favorites, and no one looked for more than a draw for the local team, so that the result of the game—a win for Wanganui by 9 points to 4—was a complete surprise. Taranaki had all the best of the first spell, and scored 4 points to nothing. In the second spell the local team making the play loose completely turned the tal'les on the visitors—scoring three goals, of which one was potted. The game therefore resulted in a win for Wanganui by 9 points (three goals) to 4 points (a £oal sind a try). The game was one of the hardest fought played in Wanganui. COMBINED TEAM V. OTAGO.

In this match, played at Carisbrook on Saturday, Montgomery started the game, and the Blues' forwards following the ball smartly were on it before their opponents could return it. Thomas obtained possession, and made a good run before he was collared by Restieaux. Cran then passed to Lang, vt ho made off at a rapid pace and got over a good deal of ground, but it was all regained by a kick by Keogh. Play was near the Blues' twenty-five line when a serum was formed, from whictyLangsecured theballand passed to Thomas, who made a good pot at goal, but it went wide of the posts. After the kick out Davie showed up well, making a splendid run before he was collared. Then Owen, J. Torrance, Sonntag, and Montgomery dribbled the ball down the field, and when within thirty yards of the Colors' goal-line Owen got clean away, and was over the line in a twinkling. He took the kick himself, but did not improve the score. Blues 1 point, Colors nil. For some time play was in the centre, and was uninterestiug until Keogh dashed away ; but he was knocked into touch. M'lntyre passed to Restieaux, who was successful in getting over the Blues' line ; but Thomas was on top of him, and after a maul, lasting for several minutes, a scrum was formed five yards from the goal-posts. Rallingshaw was mainly instrumental in clearing the lines, and the Blues carried the ball to midfield, where Noel secured it and started on a sprint, but Lang collared him well. RobertSou, Millar, D. Torrance, and Ternent helped to take the play into the Blues' territory, near the quarter flag ; but Crawford shifted it back to the centre of the field. Noel was once more making off, but he was grassed heavily by Thomas without gaining many yards. Crawford obtained a free kick and placed the ball for Torrance, but no score was made. Thomas ran well down the ground, but Noel tackled him and brought him to grass. Then Keogh and Davie showed some really scientific play in passing, and carried the ball into the Blues' territory, but Noel became possessed of it, and made a short, dodgy run. The Blues' forwards carrying everything before them, Noel stepped in and cleverly got over the line near the corner flag. The kick at goal fell short. Half-time was called with each side having a point to their credit. M'lntyre secured a mark, and Torrance took a kick at goal, but it was not successful, and a scrum was formed in the Colors' territory. The forwards then rushed the ball down the field to within ten yards of the Blues' goal posts. At last Montgomery passed to Lang, who threw to Owen, and a lot of ground was gained ; but Noel once more showed up with a sprint, which was stopped by Thomas. The Blues' forwards then secured the ball, and Esquilant succeeded in getting behind the poßts. Thomas took the kick, but was not successful, and the score stood : Blues 2 points, Colors 1 point. After the ball was again set in motion & scrum was formed near the Colors' quarter-flag, and Cran dribbled the ball over the line and scored another try. Montgomery took the kick, but it was fruitless. Scores : Blues 3 points, Colors 1 point. Davie kicked out, but the ball struck Montgomery and bounded back, and without the least opposition—the Colors having overrun the ball in following up the kick—Montgomery got the leather and registered the fourth try. Thomas took the kick, but failed; the scores—Blues 4 points, Colors 1 point—being unaltered when "no side" was called.

OTHER MATCHES. Firft Church Young Men's Association v. St. Andrew's Church Young Men's Association was played on Montecillo, and after a well-contested game resulted in a win for the St. Andrew's team by 5 points (one goal and two tries) to 3 points (one goal). Pacific First v. Taieri (mixed), which was played on the latter's ground, resulted in a win for the Pacific by 8 points to 3. For the Taieri, Elder, Stevenson, and Milksop played well, as did Butler, Brooks, Hurrell, Hambleton, Sullivan, and King for the Pacific. The match Palmerston v. Maniototo County was played at Palmerston on Saturday afternoon. Just before the game commenced, rain began to fall and continued throughout the match, making matters rather unpleasant, and the ground and ball very slippy, so that a scientific contest was out of the question. The visitors showed a want of combination as the game progressed. The game was played in two spells of 35min each, and resulted in a win for the home team by four tries and one goal (7 points) to nil. Messrs Smeaton and Clements held the flags, and Mr Crosby Morris (of Dunedin) the whistle, but they were not troubled much, as the game was contested in the best spirit throughout, although infringements of the rules were frequent. The visitors were entertained by the Palmerston Club at a dinner and smoke concert in the evening. A return match will probably be played. A Christchurch telegram states that the probable fifteen to play against Otago defeated an eighteen on Saturday afternoon by seven goals and five tries to a goal and a try. The winners showed greatly improved form. The Rev. Mr Hoatson will post the final selection on Tuesday. ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL. The trial game Probables v. Thirteen Im probables was played on the Asylum Ground on Saturday, and resulted in a draw, both sides scoring two goals. The scorers for the Probables were Gardner and Pollock; whilst for the Thirteen Pountley was successful once, and the other score was registered by the Probables' goalkeeper in a peculiar manner, the ball twisting out of his hand and going between the posts as he was in the act of throwing it out. For the Improbablea, Grigg (in goal), J. Morris and Lambeth (back), A. and W. Carver and Pountley (forward) played well. After the close of the game the Selection Committee met and ohose the following team co represent the four combined Dunedin clubs in their match against Kaitangata next Saturday :W. Morris (Thistle), goal; Candlish (Northern) and Gibbs (Southern), backs ; Moncrieff (Northern) and Salmond (Wakari), half-backs ; Pollock (Wakari) and Cleland (Southern), right wing; G. M'Millan (Wakari) and A. Carver (Southern), centre; Gardner (Wakari) and Robb (Thistle), left wing.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

FOOTBALL, Issue 8013, 16 September 1889

Word Count

FOOTBALL Issue 8013, 16 September 1889

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.