Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


AUCKLAND V. OTAGO. The boisterous weather which last night (prevailed proved a blessing in disguise, the rain that fell putting the Carisbrook Ground in splendid condition for the match against Auckland, which was played this afternoon. The visit to Dunedin of an Auckland representative football team has for some time been looked forward to with pleasure, and St was therefore not surprising that a large number of spectators assembled to witness the fifth match between the two provinces. In 1875, at Dunedin, Otago won by 9$ points to $ point (the “half’’-point system of eooring being then in vogue); in 1877, at Auckland, the game ended in a draw, neither side registering a score; and in 1883, at Dunedin, the game resulted in a similar manner, after a hard-fought match. In 1887 the Otago representatives were defeated at Auckland by 5 points to nil, so that victory had rested with each province once, while honors were divided in two matches, thus making the match this afternoon tho conqueror; and in consequence great interest was taken in the sttuggle by the public, Since the arrival of the Auckland team betting lias been indulged in pretty freely by the sporting public of Dunedin, but little more than even money could be obtained, although a few enthusiasts accommodated others with wagers at three to one, draw excluded. The visitors, since their arrival, had indulged in practising kicking, sprinting, passing, and scrummaging, and had taken care of themselves, so that they were iu good condition, While the local men also were in splendid -nick. The teams were driven out to the ground in drags, and soon stripped, cheering -each other lustily as they took the field. Tho visitors were dressed in blue and white uniforms, which gave many a very heavy appearance ; but the position and weights of the respective teams were as under :

AUCKLAND. OTAGO. PtfLL'IUCK. FULLBACK. »t lb sft lb Lask .. .. 12 9 Thomas .. ..12 13 TURBB-(|UARTBRS. THRBE-QUARTBRS. Jervis .. ~11 0 Lynch .. 13 5 Warbriok .. .. 12 2 hni „ 9 11 Masefield .. .. 11 6 Davie .. _ 12 7 li ALVES. UALVBS. Elliott .. .. 13 0 Keogh .. 12 0 Braund .. .. 10 0 liostieaux .. .. 12 0 Bees .. ..1010 FORWARDS. FORWARDS. O'Connor .. .. 13 10 D. Torrance .. 12 6 Wells .. .. 13 2 Duncan .. .. 12 0 PoNnd .. ..12 a Stephenson,. .. 12 0 Heffernan .. ..12 10 Tattersall .. .. 12 7 M'Keiuie _ .. 12 6 Sonntag .. 14 12 Murray .. ..11 4 M'Farlane .. .. 11 10 Hobson .. ~ 11 3 Isaacs .. .. 12 3 Maynard .. .. 13 0 Montgomery ..14 0 Kallingshaw .. 12 8 AVKRAQB WEIOUT. AVBRABS WBIOUT. Backs .. .. It 7 Backs .. . 12 1 Forwards .. .. 12 7 Forwards .. .. 12 ft Team .. .. 12 1 Team .. .. 12 0 OFFICIALS. Umpires—Messrs F. D. Clayton (Auckland) and E. E Morrison (Otago). Referee—Mr J. Marohbanka. Torrance captained the Blues, and Wells the Colors. The Auckland players looked a fast, sturdy lot, and were not much behind the Otago men in weight, the team picked being about as heavy as the Selection Committee could choose from the number— 1 about twenty-three—of players at (heir disposal. The Otago centre three-quarter took considerable weight away from the : backs, but the remaining players were a pretty even lot. A rather stiff south-west breeze was blowing, and of course had some effect on the passing, but apart from this the weather was splendid, albeit a trifle warm for players. Otago won the toss, and O’Connor kicked off, but tho ball was brought back and a scrum was formed in mid-field. Fast loose 1 play ensued, the ball being kept loose by Auckland, until Davie kicked into touch near Auckland’s twenty-five. The ball was well taken and put down quickly, and Auckland got on a good rush Maynard, Rees, and M’Kenzie being 1 prominent—but Isaacs rnshed the ball, and immediately afterwards Lang made a kneekick, the ball, however, being kept in midfield. Stephenson hesitated for a moment, and the visitors were down on him like a 1 shot, and, coming round quickly, looked < like getting away ; but the Otago men ' rallied promptly, and the leather was kept in mid-field. Some uninteresting scrums took place until Jervis got away, but he slipped just as Keogh rushed him. Elliott made a good kick, which was well returned by Davie, and the Blues following ( up well the ball appeared in Auckland’s twenty five. Lang, Davie, and Restieaux indulged} in some good passing, which < placed Auckland on the defensive, and some ‘ neat kicking was done by Auckland, , the Blues still keeping them on the defensive. Braund obtained a mark, ] and kicked well into touch, where , some fast forward play was taking place when the whistle blew. A packed scrum ; collapsed, and after it was re-formed Reea , came away with a short run, O’Connor taking the running up by a smart dribble. As the ball came into the Blues’ quarters Davie obtained a mark, but little ground was gained, Jervis at last getting in a kick, which, being followed up well by Hobson, spoilt Davie’s return. The ball was gradually drawing near Otago’s line, when, the forwards kicking hard, Otago hod a narrow shave, but the danger was averted by the hall going into touch. Just then a rush of the forwards ’ took tho leather to tho Blues’ line, and ( after a tight and exciting scrum a free kick was obtained by Thomas, whicli took the play to less dangerous ground. 1 Warbrick then got away, and when tackled . passed to Masefield, who was knocked into ‘ touch, Keogh immediately afterwards getting in a good kick. O’Connor then got over the line, but Thomas managed to save his side. When the crowd separated O’Connor was seen to be lying on tho ground, but he received after a short respite. After tho kiok-out the Otago men rushed tho ball to near Auckland’s territory, Keogh receiving ( more than the usual amount of attention. The Auckland forwards got on j a good rush, which centred play, and j then got a free kick for off-side , play. Warbrick took the kick, which, , however, resulted in the local men | being forced down for the second time. , Masefield and Lynch then indulged in some , good kicking, and following up well gave j Otago some trouble. Then the local men ] rallied, and some exciting play ensued, the ( Blues attempting to get on a dribbling rush, which was nipped in the bud by the ; fast play of the Auckland backs and ! the good following up of their forwards. ] The Blues then got away, and Duncan, Mont- , gomery, and Torrance put in some good ; work. The Auckland men returned the ball ( in good style, but Lynch put in a good kick, ( which stopped the rush of the Auck- , land men. Poland then put in some , splendid work, and Jervis and Davie indulged in some good kicking, the local men j being brought back some distance. Although the Blues’ forwards tried to get away, their . efforts were of no avail, and Rees passed to Warbrick, who ran in amidst applause. The try was disallowed for hand-balling, but the referee’s decision was questioned by many. Just after the scrum Warbrick obtained a mark, and made a short kick right into Rallingshaw’s hands, which did not gain much ground for Otago. The Blues got on a good dribbling rush, and took the ball to the centre of the ground, where Jervis passed to Warbriok. The ball was considered dead, and the scrom was again formed in mid-field until the Auckland forwards got on a splendid rush, which Lang stopped with a nice left-foot punt. Then the Bines returned with a splendid rush, Stephenson, Duncan, and Rallingshaw being the most prominent, but Braund, Lnsk, and “ Snowy ” Heffernan staved off tho attacks of the forwards. Then Lynch came away with a splendid run, but Lusk tackled him in a game fashion, swinging him into touch near the corner flag. M'Kenzie, Maynard, and O'Connor came away with a splendid dribble, and gained great applause for the excellent manner in which they kept on the ball, but just as the Bines re turned the rush Warbriok stepped in and spoilt the local men’s little game. The backs of the Auckland team collared extremely well at this stage, and prevented the Otago forwards from getting away, Braund especially being übiquitous and kicking in splendid style. The Blues then got on a good rush, which was stopped by Warbrick. Elliott then made a splendid run, eluding Keogh, Restieaux, and the three-quarters, but lost the ball as Davie ohftiffea him. Btoood rushed the leather.

but it went into touch near the centre of the field. The Auckland men screwed the scrum after the line out, and Rees looked like getting away, but the Otago men came away cleanly and transferred the play to the Auckland twenty-five. Some uninteresting scrum work was then indulged in, until the Blues got on a rush, but in their eagerness threw forward, and the ball was brought back. Warbriok then came away with a nice run, winding up with a kick which he followed up, and spoilt Davie’s return. Thomas punted down the field, however, and the play was taken to mid-field, where Masefield came away with a splendid run, after which Otago got a free kick. Torrance took the kick, which was stopped by O’Connor, and Hobson and Heffernan, following from the kick, appeared near the ball, but another free kick by Otago stopped their little game. The ball was well rushed from the scrum, and play was transferred to the Blues’ quarters, where the ball was being worked when half-time was called.

Torrance started the second spell, and after some scrum work the Blues’ ball went into touch near the twenty-five flag. Rees got away, but Keogh collared him splendidly, and the Colors then got away, Elliott putting in a serviceable run, which was the means of placing Otago on the_ defensive, Otogo worked hard on their lines to repel the attacks of the Auckland backs, and succeeded in clearing their lines after a hard struggle. Lynch, Restieaux, Stephenson, and Duncan (Otago), Masefield, O’Connor, Heffernan, and Braund (Auckland) worked hard for their respective sides, until Isaacs picked up smartly and passed to Keogh, who punted splendidly down the field. Masefield got away in good style, but Montgomery grassed him in excellent fashion. Then Warbrick and Masefield again got clear and made a gcod run, but their efforts were nullified by the good play of the Ottgo men. The Blues got on a good rush, which took nlay to the Auckland quarters, where Lang suddenly picked up, and sent the ball across the bar, amidst loud and continued applause. Score : Otago 3 points, Auckland nil. Auckland, nothing daunted, played a good game, and worked hard to score, but could not do so, the Otago men playing with good combination. Keogh then came away with a splendid run, and looked like scoring, but he could not succeed in getting across, although ho was near it —“very near it,” The ball was kept in the visiting teams’ quarters, where some fast work was indulged in, but gradually play was centred, the ball going into touch. Davie then came away with a strong run, winding up with a serviceable kick; but tho Aucklanders rallied and stopped their rushes. Restieaux started with a kick, which Lusk essayed to return with-a run and a kick, but Lang stopped the kick, but failed to obtain the ball. Exciting play then ensued near Otago’s line, Mansfield putting in some splendid work, running and fending well. The Blues stopped the rush and took play to the centre of the field, where play ensued for some time. Near the end of tho spell Auckland obtained a try, and the place-kick being successful, the game ended in a draw.

The Auckland team were yesterday afternoon taken in tho steamer Plucky for a trip to the Heads. The voyage down the harbor was an enjoyable one, and upon the Heads being reached those who made the trip disembarked and inspected the mole. Upon the return journey of tho Plucky the following toasts were honored:—“ The Auckland Team,” proposed by Mr J. H. Morrison and acknowledged by Mr Wells; “The Otago Rugby Football Union,” proposed by Mr Wells and acknowledged by Dr Coughtrey ; “ The Harbor Board,” proposed by Mr R. Chisholm; “The Press,” proposed hy Mr C. Z. Clayton and acknowledged by representatives of the Auckland and Dunedin papers. In the evening tho visitors were the guests of the Otago Rugby Union at the performance by Mr Bland Holt’s company of the drama ‘ New Babylon.’ They were also invited to the Savage Club, but Mr Wells (captain of the team) apologised for their absence owing to a prior engagement.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

FOOTBALL., Issue 8008, 10 September 1889

Word Count

FOOTBALL. Issue 8008, 10 September 1889

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.