Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


ALHAMBRA v, TAIERI. The above clubs did well in agreeing to play their return match on a neutral ground, and by their action the attendance at the Caledonian Ground on Saturday was considerably ln.rg»r than it would have hern had the match taken place at the Alhomb-a’a ground ;• r, Upoho, The previous match, played at .Vlosgiel, was won after a lough struggle by tin*- local men, the some at the end of the game being ; Taieri 3 points, Aihanib--,; nil. Bol:o einhs kept wei! to'.'•hi-! i* ! hr.m,>:■ sc;.«"ui, mid it m.iy Afiiamha to defeat Vti-ii ! eisc order <•( i-heir positions hriniv. t.!io match. Both eluhn were awaie ot this, and in consequence played strong teams—a fast, exciting game being the result. The teams, with A. Gibson captaining the visitors, and Maclaughlin doing similar duty for Alhambra, were constituted as follow : Taibri.— Full-back, Scott; threc-quarters-Mackie, Elder, Oliver ; halves—Murdoch and Sfevenson ; forwards—Allan (3), Gibson (3), Davidson, Maun, and Matbeson. Alhambra. Full-back, Foster ; three-quarters— Noel, D.iwuea, Crawsbaw; halves—Restieaux, Crawford ; forwards Murphy, Ternent, Strong, M’Kenzie, Donaldson, Robertson, Johnston, Weitzel. Ollicials : Messrs S. M. Park (Alhambra) and A. Y. Smith (Taieri), umpires; Mr W. Wyiuks, referee. There was a alight breeze blowing down the field, and Maclaugblin, winning the toss, took advantage of this, Gibson kicking off from the harbor end. The ball was well taken and returned by Poster, and the Alhambra forwards keeping well together looked as though they were going to pen Taieri in their twenty-fives, ivlatheson and Davidson, closely followed by the Allan and Gibson contingent, came away with a serviceable dribbling rush, which Noel stopped in a plucky manner, starting off for a sprint. He lost the ball, but Strong took up the running in good style, and the ball was in the visitors’ territory, when an oldfashioned, tight, and seemingly interminable scrum took place. At last the forwards, evidently having had enough of it, mutually allowed the scrum to break up, and the ball was kicked into touch by Crawford. Scott, Elder, Murdoch, and Stevenson (Taieri), Noel, Downes, Crawford, and Restieaux (Alhambra) then indulged in some give-and-take play until Noel, seizing hia opportunity, was away, but he was shoved into touch near tho corner flag, and the Taieri forwards, by a splendid combined rush, cleared their lines. Crawford was passing to Downes when Stevenson intercepted, and was soon careering towards Alhambra’s line with the ball. Foster did not allow him to score, however, although it was a narrow shave. The respective backs indulged in a little marking to relieve the monotony of their play, and Restieaux settled matters by charging Scott before he could take his kick, the ball having bounced off another of the Taieri backs. Then some splendid passing was shown by the Alhambra backs, and at last Noel, taking a pass from Downes neatly, scored near the corner (lag amidst loud applause Restieaux attempted to kick the goal, but failed, owing to the difficult angle. Score •• Alhambra 1 point, Taieri nil. From the kick-off Taieri gave Albambra some trouble, until Strong, Murphy, and Ternent came through a serum in splendid style, keeping well on the ball. The last mentioned dribbled right up to the posts, where for some inexplicable cause he suddenly stopped, and Scott easily forced. Taieri now made strenuous efforts to cross the local players’ line, but tho defence was really good, and Taieri were soon placed on the defensive. Some more passing occurred between the Alhambra backs, the result being that Noel again scored near the corner flag. Tho kick was a most difficult one, but Restieaux astonished everyone by sending the bail across the bar, the score standing: Alhambra 4 points, Taieri nil. Downes at this stage retired hurt, and the Alhambra played only fourteen men to the end of the game. Taieri now showed some of their accustomed form, and by fast forward play and smart tackling gradually worked the leather to Alhambra’s quarters, and were in n dangerous position when tho whistle blew for au infringement. This was “ hard lines” for the visitors, who, however, gamely struggled to score, tho forwards especially playing a good game, although they subsequently fell off considerably. J. Allan passed to A. Gibson, and the latter passed to H. Allan, who lost hia chance by another infringement. Stevenson, however, was watching his chance, and dodged across tho line. Elder was entrusted with tho kick, but failed to place a goal. From the kickout some vacillating play ensued, in which Noel, Restieaux, Crawford, Johnston, Weitzel (Alhambra), Murdoch, Stevenson, Davidson, A. Gibson, and Oliver (Taieri) were conspicuous, but at last Murdoch scored for Taieri. The place-kick did not enhance the score, which at half-time stood : Alhambra 4 points, Taieri, 1 point. The second spell was remarkable for the stubborn nature of the play shown by both trams. The ball was quickly rushed to the Taieri’s goal line, when Scott forced down to prevent another score. Then tho Alhambra men had to fight hard to prevent a score being made, and for a long time play was confined to neutral ground. There is really no necessity to describe the spell, as it was combined effort and not individual play that made the game during the latter half such a hard-fought one. From one twenty-five flag to the other the ball travelled, but directly an opportunity of scoring presented itself a rush by tho defending side would take the leather to midfield. Noel, Restieaux, and Crawford worked hard for Alhambra, while Murdoch, Oliver, and Stevenson showed up conspicuously for Taieri. At last the latter made a supreme effort to equalise the score, and after a brilliant rush by the forwards Davidson dropped over the line as Noel rushed him. There was some disputing as to whether the player and ball had gone into touch-in-goal or not; but the officials allowed the try, although not a few declared that Davidson had rolled intotouch-in-goal before he touched down behind the line. Expectations ran high amongst the Taieri supporters as preparations were made for the kick, but the ball went wide, and the score thus stood: Alhambra 4 points, Taieri 3 points. Time was then called, and as the spectators left the ground the opinion generally expressed was: “A stubborn game, but the best team won.” The Taieri backs played a sterling game, but the forwards licked that dash which should have been displayed at the innumerable opportunities which occurred throughout the game, Alharr.brg, frequently shoved them back in the serums, and noticing this Craw, ford was wise in keeping the ball from coming out when their back team had been weakened. The forward play throughout was never brilliant—on several occasions it was distinctly mediocre—the players being determined to prevent their lines from being crossed, and playing in a wild and “bullocking” manner, when by keeping cool and playing easily they could have shifted the scene of battle to less dangerous ground. Of the visitors Murdoch, Elder, Stevenson (hacks), and A. Gibson, H. Allan, W. Gibson, Davidson, and Matheson (forwards) were the best, playing consistently from start to finish. Noel was far and away the best of the backs, doing an immense amount of work, while his runs were really brilliant. He was ably seconded by Downes (during the short time he played), G. Restieaux, and Crawford. Foster at full-back did his work well, but he was not brilliant as a three-quarter. The best forward on the ground was Johnston, who worked like a Trojan during the game. Strong, Ternent (who only made one mistake during the game), Weitzel, and Donaldson were the pick of the forwards. The decisions of the officials were received in an amicable manner, there being little or no disputing. Scrum. UNION v. UNIVERSITY. This jjnatch, which was played at the Northern Ground, was won by the Union by 14 points to nit, Wright kicked off for tho Maroons, and the Blues failing to return, Gordon crossed the line. No goal resulting, Cook kicked out, but tho Maroon forwards soon carried the ball near the ’Varsity line, and from a throw-in Croxford got possession and crossed the line. The placekick, however, did not enhance the score. After the kick out some give-and-tike play ensued, until from a serum the ball was heeled out and transferred to Porteous, who cleverly dodged through some of his opponents and potted a splendid goal. Cook kicked off for the Blues, but the ball was

gradually worked back to their line, when some excellent passing amongst the Red forwards enabled Porteous to get the ball, and running clean through the opposing backs touched down between the posts, He took the kick himself, and succeeded in registering the major point. Half time was now called, the score being Union 8 points to nil. Lovogrove kicked off for the Dines, who seemed to play with a little more combination, and gave tho Reds some trouble before they managed to clear their lines. The Red for ward-:, however, were not to be denied, and after indulging in some good passing Gordon scored behind the p,<sts, Porteous in; a in sending the ball over tlm hai. Soon a'ler tins .U'Farlane, from a ncu pass by Kciidi'!, crossed the Une, Int; the kick atgoJ was a failure. The Reds Still kept up the attack, and Porteous crossed the lino, but the kick at goal did not enhance the score. Just on the call of time Thomas secured the leather, and, getting through his men in fine style, touched down between the posts. Porteous was entrusted with the kick, but the Blues were on it before he had a chance to kick, and the game resulted as stated above. KAIKORAI v. MONTECILLO. The above clubs met on Saturday at tho latter’s ground for their return match this season. From the kick-off it was at once seen that the Kaikorai team were the superior, as the Monteoillo were playing on the defensive nearly the whole game. The inclusion of Keogh in the Kaikorai Club’s ranks greatly helped them, especially in their back play. They adopted the method of playing three half-backs, which proved an undoubted success. The passing by both Kaikorai forwards and backs completely disconcerted their opponents. Through the agency of Isaacs and M‘Naughton the Montecillo at times cleared their lines, but this was only momentary. W. Millar, Duncan, and A. Millar (forwards) played in first-class form for the Kaikorai. Armit, Keogh, and MMntyro, as halves, passed to one another beautifully ; J. Davie also played in good form. For the Monteoillo, Morley and Bolton (backs) played best, and Isaacs, M‘Naughton, and Beck (forwards). The game resulted in a win for the Kaikorai by two goals and eight tries (14 points) to nil. Tries were secured by W. Millar (2), Keogh (3), M'lutyre (2), Duncan (1), Armit (1), Davie (1). W. Thompson placed two goals. Mr J. Marchbanks acted as referee. HAWKE’S BAY v. WELLINGTON. Over 2,000 persons attended at Newtown Park on Saturday afternoon to witness the football match between Hawke’s Bay and Wellington. The game, which resulted in favor of the local team by three goals and three tries (12 points) to nil, was one-sided and uninteresting throughout. Sain (back) and Stuart (forward) supplanted Dixon and Sullivan in the local team, as it was found at the last moment that tho latter were unable to play. Immediately after the kick-off the visitors* territory was invaded, and owing to the high kick ot one of their team Fraser obtained a mark just outside tho twenty-five-yard flag, though directly in front of tho goal posts. The ball was placed for Collins, who put it well between the posts amidst great cheering. For a few minutes the leather remained in neutral ground, but then the Wellington forwards, who had much the best of the serums, carried the ball well into their opponents’ twenty-five. Collins, the local three-quarter, making a neat pass to Frazer, the latter got in near the corner flag. M‘lntyre made a grand but unsuccessful kick at goal. Score : Wellington 4 points, visitors nil. Soon after this M‘lntyre, Reich, Johnson, and Cockroft headed a fine rush, Reich passing to M'intyre. Ho got within a yard or two of the Hawke’s Bay line, where he was collared ; but handing the ball to Cockroft, tho latter fell across tho line alongside the posts. Nicholls, the local skipper, took the kick and scored the major point. Lowry, calling on his men, headed a fine rush, and for a time the Wellington line was in danger. Thompson at three-quarters having mulled the ball, the visitors obtained a free kick in Wellington’s twenty-five, but no score resulted, the ball going into touch. Moorhouse relieved the Wellington goal, and for the remainder of the spell the visitors were acting on tho defensive, but owing to tho fine play of Lowry and Taku and Le Quesne no further score was registered. Immediately after the game was resumed, Hawke’s Bay were again compelled to act on tho defensive, and Thompson (of Wellington) had the ball passed to him when in front of the goal, but the leather did not rise off the ground. Reich then scored for the local team, and Collins took the kick, but failed to increase the score. Moore (a local forward) touched down between the posts. Nicholls kicked an easy goal. Score,; Wellington 11 points, Hawke’s Hay nil. From this out the local men had tho best of the game, and a few minutes before no side was called Sim carried the ball over the line, when Moorhouse fell on it. M'intyre was entrusted with the place, but the ball went wide. Several of the Hawke’s Bay forwards showed a disposition to loaf, and this threw extra work on the backs, who, although running well, were “very weak in collaring. Lo Quesne and Lowry removed danger on several occasions, but they were badly supported in their rushes. The local men played with better combination than against Wairarapa last Thursday, but at times their passing was very wild. Johnson, Cockroft, Reich, and M'intyre were the pick of the forwards, while Thompson as three - quarter was shoulders above anyone on the ground. Sim also played a fine game as three-quarter. MAORIS v. CANTERBURY. The Canterbury team received a severe beating from the Natives on Saturday after, noon, the latter scoring eleven tries, from which two goals were kicked, making the score 15 points to nil. There was a large attendance of spectators, despite a cold wind. So far as play itself went the game was not at all one-sided, but tho powerful attacking force brought to bear by tho Natives in the shape of fleet running, marvellous dodging, and accurate passing wan more than the local backs could resist. At times the Canterbury team had soma good chances of scoring, and had there been any system about their play they might have registered a point or two. It was evident on Saturday that they had a strong desire to score as many tries as they possibly could, and but for the fine tackling of Donnelly, Hobbs, and Wilson, they would have secured about twice as many as they did. These three backs showed sterling defence, and Hobbs was cheered time after time for his grand collaring. The attempts of Cresswell and M'Lean, the heavy-weight backs, were generally so feeble that Hobbs was compelled to out across the ground and tackle the man they had let by. Hia play throughout the afternoon was of a first class order. The Canterbury forwards played a very good game except in one respect, and an unusual one for them ; their rushes were of a very poor description, due to overrunning the ball in a manner hitherto unknown in the annals of Canterbury football. They simply could not dribble, but on the touch and following up and collaring their form was not at all bad. The tries gained by the Natives were tho outcome in the majority of cases of combined play and splendid running. Elliott scored a couple of tries in the first ten minutes by running clean round the local three-quarters. Arthur Warbrick, Taare, Maynard, and Ellison played a splendid forward game, and Elliott, Tabby Wynyard, and Gage did an immense amount of work at tho back. W. Warbrick (full-back) made a couple of grand runs, the first ot which ended over the goal line, while tho second was only stopped just short of it. He was enthusiastically cheered for his display of pace and dodging. The tries were gained by Elliott (3), Gage (3), and F. Warbrick, Arthur Warbrick, W. Warbrick, Maynard, and H. Wynyard one each. Ellison kicked one of the goals and F. Warbrick the other. OTHER MATCHES. The Port Chalmers First played a second fifteen of the Pirates Club at Port Chalmers, but as the latter team included Macdonald in place of one of the regular three-quarter-backs who was unable to take part in the match, the Port Chalmers captain refused to acknowledge it as other than a mixed fifteen. The Pirates won by 3 points to 2, For the winning team all the backs and F. Stronach, Ashcroft, and M'Beath showed

good form, while Ritchie, Bauchop, Davidson, and Matson ployed well for Port. The Union and University Seconds met on Saturday at Tallinn. Park, the game resulting in a win for the former by S points to 3. Heriot won their match with Newington by 6 points. Scores ; Heriot one potted goal and one place kick, Newington nil. The annual fixture, Findlay and Co. (Limited) v. Thomson, Bridger ami Co., was played on Saturday last. After a wellfought battle the game resulted in a win for the former by 3 points to 1 point. Caversham v. Tnieri Second was played at Mosgiel on Saturday, and resulted in a win for the former by one goal (3 point:;) to nil. The Caversham, will) the sun and wind in their favor, kept the Taieri on the defensive the greater part of the first spell, but were not able to score, owing to the good defence of the Tnieri backs. In the second spell the Taieri penned their opponents in their twenty-lives; and Prain, after a splendid run, crossed the line, and a maul ensued, which the Caversham man won. On the kick-out the Taieri quickly placed the Caversham on the defensive, and would have scored but for their reckless passing. Just before time, by good play on the part of the Caversham, Cunningham crossed the line and touched down near the posts. The kick was entrusted to Andrews, who placed a neat goal. Hanning, Clark, Andrews, and Cunningham, for the Caversham, and Smeaton, Campbell, Prain, Christie, and Renwick, for the Taieri, played well. ASSOCIATION RULES. The Northern v. Southern match on Saturday was not by any means a first-class exhibition of the game. Both clubs started play with ten men only, but at half-time the Northern team was brought up to its full complement by Grant, who proved himself a valuable addition to his side. With the wind in their favor in the first half they had managed to score one goal from the foot of Stevenson, whilst their opponents had registered three by the aid of Browning, D. Laing, and Rennison (the Northeners’ fullback). After changing ends the Southern managed to add two more goals—both good shots by A. Carver—and the game thus resulted in a win for the Southern Club by five goals to one. For the winners J. Laing, Nicolson, Smith (in goal), and A. Carver were prominent, and Browning’s screw' kicking was very clever; whilst for the Northeners Rennison, Pountley, Grant, the boys Walker (in goal), and M‘Lsod w r ere best. A match has been arranged with the Maori team at Newtown Park to-morrow afternoon. An Auckland telegram states that the following have been selected to represent Auckland in the football match against the Natives :—R. B. Lusk, Breen, Jarvis, R. Masefield, Herold, Braund, Rees, O’Connor, Wells, J. Lecky, M'Kenzie, Heffernan, Murray, Poland, and Read. Our Wellington correspondent wires ; “Owing to the strong feeling that has grown up amongst the public that the Native footballers ought not to he allowed to leave Wellington without giving a display of their powers, the local union has been induced to offer Mr Scott the whole of the takings, less expenses, for a match at Newtown Park to-morrow afternoon, and the offer has been accepted. It is said that as a result of what recently transpired in connection with the parleying with the Native team the City Council will revoke the permission granted for the basin reserve for the match Wellington v. Auckland.”

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

FOOTBALL., Issue 7989, 19 August 1889

Word Count

FOOTBALL. Issue 7989, 19 August 1889

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.