Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


High Water. To-morrow. Taiaroa Heads : 4.41 a.m., 5 3 Purt Chalmorn: 5.21 a.m., 5.43 p.m. lunedin: 6.6 a.m., C.28 p.m. ♦ Port Chalmers. ARRIVED.—August 13. Manapouri, s.s., 1,020 tons, T. Logan, from Melbourne via Uohart and the Bluff. Passengers : MesdameH Whittaker and child, Corodino and child. Bills, Rollandu, Misses Bradshaw, M'Guire, Master Bills, Messrs M'Neill, Manning, Hay, Gocding, Goodman, Patterfon, Wallace, Watson, Smith, Blair, M'Waters, Smith; and twenty-eight in the Htecrage. HAILED.- August 13 Invercarßill, s.s., 130 tons, Sundstrum, for Invercargill. Pleione, ship, 1,092 tons, Ferguson, for Wellington. The brigantiue Sarah Tile is dischargiug timber at the Rattray street wharf. The brlgantine Enterprise only requires a little cargo to fill her up. Tho ship Pleione was towed to sea this for--noon b/ the tugs Koputai and Plucky, and sailed in ballast for Wellington. Tho s.s. Tenterden, from tho New Hebrides to Sydney, brings news that the s.s. I'ijian has almost broken up on Tanna Island, neither her funnel nor masts being visible. The Bosie Welt, American ship, 1.3G4 tons, of New York, which left Newcastle for Singapore on July 3 with a cargo of coal, ran on a reef near the Fly River, New Guinea, on the 13th July. She becamo a total wreck. The captain and eleven men arrived at Thursday Island safely in the long boat, and tho mato and seven men arrived in another boat the next day. No men wore drowned. The ship was laden with 1,280 tons of coal for Singapore. She struck a sandbank twenty miles north of Bramble Cay, but the island was not sighted. When the crew left the ship there were Bft of water in the hold, and she was bumping heavily. The captain entertains no hopo of saving the vessel, which will be sold at [auction. The captain and tho mato both state that the current set in quite a different direction to what was laid down in tho nautical directions. They consider that a lighthouse at Bramble Cay would prove a great service. They mistook another island for it. They hoveto that night, but tho next day. at ten o'clock, the vessel struck, and was abandoned same evening. The captain and the crew sailed northwards on Saturday. Tho residents consider that the wrecking of this vessel, tho Kenilworth, and others during tho present year makes a strong case for tho erection of a lighthouse at Bramble Cay. Tho Manajouri arrived at 6 a.m. to-day, and after easing steam off the Port to tranship mails Bteamrd direct up to Duncdin. She left tho Bluff at 5 p. m. yesterday. From Melbourne to Hobart sho had moderate head winds, with thick, dirty weather; thence moderato easterly winds, which increased to a stiff gale, accompanied with heavy head sea, to arrival at tho Bluff, and from that port northerly winds, with thick weather, to arrival. The Elderalio will corapleto her loading for London this evening. Tho R.M.S. Aorangi will leave Wellington for Port Chalmors on Friday. During the voyago of tho ship Avenger from London to Melbourne, a tragic acoident took place. It seems that at 925 a.m. on July 21 in latitude 45|jdeg S., and longitude 120deg 50min 8., when the ship was scudding along at a twelve-knot speed in a heavy gale from W.N.W., Hugo Riohter, while loosening tho fore-royal, fell overboard. An apprentice, who was at the same timo loosening the, saw him for a few minutes astorn, and he then disappeared. Lifebuoys were thrown towards him, and this was all that could be done in the emergency. To have rcutded to, at tho rate the ship was going, would have been dangerous, and no boat could have lived in the sea which was raging all round. I his was apparent to all on board, and the crew expressed themselves as satisfied that nothing further could have been done for tho saving of life without seriously endangering other lives. Richtor was about eighteen years of age, and was well liked by his mates. It was conjectured that he must have struck something ia his descent, and had been stunned or killed. THE DIRECT STEAMERS. The Aorangi, from London via Hobart, arrived at Wellington to-day, 'at 2.30 p.m. MOVEMENTS OF THE UNION STEAM SHIP COMPANY'S FLEET. Tuesday, August 13. OamaßU. Arawata sailed 3 a.m. foi. 1 Auckland. Tijiaru. —Tekapo pails midnight for Oamaru. —Mahinapua sailed 5 p.m. for Dunedin. Lttielton. —Wairarapa arrived 7 a.m. from Wellington ; sailed Ipm. for Dunedin.— Takftpuna arrived 11 a.m. from Dutudin; sails 10 pm for Wellington.—Grafton Bails 10 p.m. for Wellington. Nelson.—Rosamond arrived 11 a.m. from Grey mouth.—Koranui arrived 1 p.m.—Penguin arrived 8 a.m. ; sails 10 p.m. for Picton. Manukau. Rotorua tailed 12 noon for Taranaki. Shipping Telegrams, Auckland, August 12. Zealandia, from Sydney, with dates to tho morning of August 7. —Southern Cross, from Wellington. Zealandia, for Sbl Francisco. Passengers : From Auckland—Mrs Montague, Colonel Carr, Major Douglas, Messrs L. A. Nathan, E. Caro, F. Lyndon, H. K. Rawcliff, T. H. Williamson, J. Hare, W. Stuart, Stillman, Broomwell; thirty steerage, and fifty-one through passengers from Sydney. Mawhera, for Greymouth. At Kaipara: Rebecca, from Sydney. Wellington, August 12.—Wairarapa, for the South. Lyttelton, Auguat 12. Mahinapua and Tekapo, for Timaru and Dvnedin.—Grafton, for Wellington.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

SHIPPING, Evening Star, Issue 7984, 13 August 1889

Word Count

SHIPPING Evening Star, Issue 7984, 13 August 1889