It was mentioned in this journal some time back that an opposition line of trams was to be started here by Mr W. A. Young, of Wellington, who was the first proprietor ot vehicles for passenger traffic to commence what is known as the “penny section” system, which means that the passenger is charged a rate proportionate with the distance travelled. Yesterday the first of these trams—called the Palace Car, and monofactored by Cobb and Go.—commenced to run on the lines of the Dunedin and Suburban Tramway Company, and to day a further addition was made to tbe number. During wet weather the oars, which are drawn by three horses, can be closed up, while in summer the tarpaulins which hang from the sides con be rolled up and fastened to the roof. The vehicles, the wheels of which have been manufactured to fit the tram lines in general use throughout the colony, run very smoothly, and are lighter than the average cats. At present tbe line of route is restricted to between Cargill’s Monument and the Water of Leith.
Permanent link to this item
OPPOSITION TRAMS., Evening Star, Issue 7956, 11 July 1889
OPPOSITION TRAMS. Evening Star, Issue 7956, 11 July 1889
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.