Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


ZINGARI-RICHMOND v. PIRATES, The return match between the above clubs was played at Carisbrook on Saturday before a meagre attendance of the public. The heavy rain which had fallen made the ground exceedingly spongy, and dead against any fast hack play. It will bo remembered that the Blacks had defeated the Colors by 2 points to 1, and hardly one who was present on Saturday expected the ZingariRichmond to administer a beating to the Pirates, The respective teams were constituted as follow: Zinoari - Richmond. Full-back, Speight; threequarters—M'Farlone, Wintrop, M'Artbur; halves— Vrootor, Bred rick ; forwards-Campbell, Edwards, Rallingeliaw, Esqullanc (2), Peterson, Price, Budge, Du 1,0.

Piratus -Full-back, Hutchison ; three-quarters— Macdonald, Lang. Orbcll; halves-Fraser, Howison ; forwards—Morris (2), Slides, Milne, Stronach, Kirkcaldy, M'Larea (2), Farquharsoo. Umpires Messrs Park (Zlngarl-Richmond) and Lang (Pirates). Referee: Ur A. Wedderepoan.

The Colors kicked off, and the leather being cleanly taken and well returned up the field, play was taken to the visitors’ quarters. Several scrums—loose and tight alternately—ensued, until the redoubtable Mox-ris came through with the ball at his toe, and was nearing the Zingari-Richmond’s goal-line when the Colors’ full-back, with a well-judged kick, sent the ball into touch near the halfway flag. The Colors’ forwards then broke through from the line-out and carried the ball down to the Pirates’ line; but the Blacks answered this rush with a fine charge, which was checked by the opposing backs, and play centred at the halfway line. Scrum followed scrum, all of them being of a loose character, but neither side gained any material advantage. At last the Colors’ forwards, who were rather better at the dribbling game, broke away, and with a big rush ran the leather over the line, where Proctor scored. M‘Arthur took the kick, but the ball fell short. The Blacks now warmed up, and their opponents had a remarkably bad quarter of an hour, Macdonald, Arthur Morris, and Lang giving a lot of trouble. Smart collariug and an obstinate defence tired out the Blacks at last, and a forward rush changed the scene to their twenty-five. From a loose rush Orbell came away beautifully, and, slipping through the backs, was soon travelling fast towards the Colors’ goal, with Arthur Morris backing up, and Brodrick in hot pursuit. Speight intervened, and, amidst applause, brought Orbell to earth. The ball, however, had been transferred to Mortis, and that player ran for all he was worth for the goal-line, but Brodrick was on his heels, and the Pirate forward was hurled into touch-ln-goal, and half-time was called with the score standing : ZingariRichmond, 1 point; Pirates, nil. Upon the teams changing ends, play of a fast and even description ensued for some time, until Wintrop, getting the ball kicked out to him, dribbled it past Macdonald, and centred it for Macfarlane. This player kicked it hard, and, chasing it at top speed, ran over the line and scored before Hutchison could intervene. Edwards took the place, but only a poster resulted, and once again play went to midfield. Vacillating play ensued until the whistle blew in the Pirates’ twenty-five for some infringement by the defenders, Brodrick decided to place, and Macfarlane and Dunn lined out in front of goal. The ball went high, and fell by the posts, and before the Pirates could realise the situation Macfarlane, who had spurted from the twenty-five line, dropped on the ball and scored another try. Edwards was again unsuccessful, and the Pirates took the ball down the field with a rush r.nd all but scored. Only a few minutes remained, and the Blacks, with the Morris brothers in the van, strove hard to equalise matters. Lang went down the field at top speed, and with a flying shot at goal just missed scoring a goal for the Pirates. Luckily for the Colors, the ball went a trifle to the left, and time was called, leaving the Zingari-Rich-mond victors by 3 points to nil, Lang, Howison, Brodrick, and M'Arthur played a sterling game; but Speight, as full back, was the best of the crowd, playing a safe and plucky game. The forwards on both sides seemed a very even, hardworking lot; but Arthur Morris played about the fastest and best game, his backing-up being excellent. UNION v. UNIVERSITY

was played at Tahuna Park, which was in very good condition, notwithstanding the heavy rains. As was generally anticipated the Union Club experienced no difficulty in asserting their superiority over the wearers if the light blue, the score atoiK of time being : —Union, 8 points ; University, 3 points. The following teams lined out shortly after three o’clock :

Union. Fu’l • back, Dryden; three - quarters— Thomas, Beadle, Porteona; halves-Davis, Croxford ; forwards—Tattersall, M'Kinlay, O’Onrman, Wright, U‘Farlaa«(2), Forsyth, Hutchinson, Gordon. Univkrsity.—Full-back, Held; three-quarters— Lovegrove, A. and J. MTlroy ; halvis—Cook, Paterson forwards—Torrance, Menzies, Pearce, Fitchctt, Walt, Wat ers, Simmers, Fitzgerald, Campbell

Wright winning the toss, played with the wind at his back, and Cook kicked off for the ’Varsity. The Union soon penned their opponents in their quarters, and Gordon got over the line, but the kick at goal did not improve the score. The University kicked out, but were soon forced back, and the Union on several occasions narrowly missed scoring. Cook, who was playing a good defensive game, relieved his side By a good punt into touch. From a dribbling rush Hutchinson made a good pass to Thomas, who was enabled to score, but the kick at goal was again a failure. The Union still kept the ’Varsity on the defensive, and Porteous soon scored between the posts. Thomas took the kick, and put it over the bar, but the ball having touched a ’Varsity man no goal was allowed. Beadle got possession of the ball, and after a short run passed to Thomas, who scored without much difficulty, Davis took the place, and kicked an unmistakeable goal. The ’Varsity kicked off from the centre, and after exchanging kicks a scrum was formed in the centre, being followed by a dribbling rush headed by Morgan and Campbell, who carried the ball close to the Union line, where it went into touch. The Union worked the ball back to the centre, and some give-and-take play ensued until half-time was called.

On changing ends it was thought the ’Varsity would make a better stand, as they had the wind in their favor, but the play of the Union was too good to allow much scoring to be done by their opponents. Wright kicked off for the Union, and after a little slow play the Union forwards, headed by M’Farlane, Forsyth, and Tattersall, got away, and were only stopped by the fullback falling on the ball. From a loose scrum Porteons picked np and ran in. The kick at goal did not improve the score. The ’Varsity men making strenuous efforts to score were not unsuccessful, and Morgan got over the line, Lovegrove took the kick, and from a difficult angle placed a goal. Score : Union, 7 points; University, 3 points. The Union now livened up to their work, and after a splendid rush Forsyth crossed the line, but was collared before he could put the ball on the ground. Then play not worthy of much notice followed up to the time when Beadle crossed the line end scored try No. G. The desired goal was not obtained, and time was called in a little while, leaving the Union victorious by one goal and five tries to one goal. The ’Varsity undoubtedly played a good uphill game, Cook and Morgan being about their best men. Among the Union backs Davis and Thomas were the best. The forwards all played a sterling game, and It would be invidious to particularise as to their respective merits. The game, on the whole, was a most enjoyable one, and was played in the best possible spirit.

OTAGO v. HAWKE’S BAY. The hon. secretary of the Otago Rugby Football Union has received a telegram stating that a Hawke’s Bay team will visit Dunedin and meet a representative team of the province this season, probably about the 10th August. This is the date fixed for the match between Otago and the Native team, but no doubt satisfactory arrangements can be made with the Hawke’s Bay Union to have the match with their team played upon some other date in August, MAORIS v. NEWCASTLE. NEWCASTLE, July 6, The Native team met Newcastle district yesterday in a football match under Association rules, and were defeated by six goals to two goals.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

FOOTBALL., Issue 7953, 8 July 1889

Word Count

FOOTBALL. Issue 7953, 8 July 1889

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.