HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL CLUB.
A very pleasing little ceremony took place at the Girls’ High School yesterday afternoon, the occasion being the presentation by the girls of a new banner to the Boys' High School football team. The affair came off in the large hall of the Girls’ School, in which all the pupils and teachers were assembled, and on the boys’ team entering the hall they were received with great clapping of hands. Mr A. Wilson, M.A., Rector of the Girls’ School, in making the presentation on behalf of his scholars, said he hoped the recipients would take it as an evidence of the interest that the Girls’ School took in the sports of their brother school. It was intended that the presentation should be ynadn by Dr Stuart, chairman of the Board of Governors, but the reverend doctor' had apparently been detained by some unavoidable engagement, and therefore the agreeable duty devolved on him (the speaker). Dr Belcher, Rector of the Boys’ School, to have been present, but he had sent a note intimating that pressure of duties kept mm away. The flag was not to be looked on as a mere dumb thing—it had a voice
and meaning, It meant that the scholars of the Girls’ School took an interest in the Boys’ outdoor sports—that they looked with pride on their successes in the field, and more especially in the football field; it meant that although the gills were not altogether satisfied when the Boys’ team allowed themselves to be beaten, they felt sure that they had done their beat to win; and it meant that the girls extended their sympathy with them in their hour of defeat.—(Great applause.) Their match of Saturday week against St. Patrick’s College was a hard-fought one, and only went against the Dunedin boys by bad fortune just at its close. The Christchurch boys would soon be pitted against them, and he hoped that the High School boys would make a good stand against them and maintain the renown of their school. — (Loud applause.) He had much pleasure in handing the banner to Mr M'Brearty, captain of the team. Mr M'Brkaktv, in acknowledging the gift, expressed the gratification of the members of his team at the great kindness shown them by the scholars of the Girls’ High School, and at the honor conferred on them. The team might be relied on to do their best for the honor of the banner and of the school, and although they had so far this season been somewhat unfortunate, it should be borne in mind that they were at present limited in age and in number. However, in all their matches the donors of the colors might feel assured that the team would play in such a manner that if beaten they would at least not be disgraced.— (Loud applause.) The speaker concluded by calling on his team to give three cheers for the scholars of the Girls’ High School, which were given with real heartiness, and were followed by three more for Mr Wilson and his assistant teachers.
The banner, which is a very handsome one, is of heavy white silk, with a blue border, and the football team’s monogram worked in blue in the centre.'
Permanent link to this item
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL CLUB., Evening Star, Issue 7949, 3 July 1889
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL CLUB. Evening Star, Issue 7949, 3 July 1889
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.