Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.



The match Dunedin v. Kaikorai was played on the Caledonian Ground on Saturday in the presence of a large number of spectators, and resulted in a win for the latter by 4 points to 1. The following were the teamß: Di'nkdin (Blue?.—Backs—Harvey, Lynch, Taiaroa, Turnbull, Austin, Johnston ; .forwurdß Carter, Driver, Hunter, Martin, Mill, Power, Sonntag, Stephenson, Turton.

Kaikorai (Colors). Backs—C. Davie, J. Davie, Oloffey, W. Thompson, D. Thompson, JM'lntyre ; forwards—Armit, Torrance, Jones, M'Arthnr, W. Millar, A. Millar, Duncan, Ballantyne, Whalen.

As both teams marched on to the ground it was seen that the Blues were'somewhat heavier than their opponents. The Colors, however, looked in good condition. ' Martin won thte toss, and elected to play with the wind. Torrance kisked off, and the ball was returned into touch, near the half-way flag. A smart rush by the BlueH took the ball to the Colors' territory, where Taiaroa potted, and the Colors were forced down. Lynch shortly afterwards potted, but the ball went wide. Thompson (Colors) got away, but was beautifully collared by TurubuU when getting dangerous. Thompson (2), M'lntyre, Torrance, Davie, M'Arthur, Duncan, and Millar were making desperate efforts to score, but the defensive play of the Blues—Lynch, Martin, and Johnston especially—was too good. The Colors worked the leather back again, however, and kept pegging away at the Blueß' lines until Johnston, who was playing splendidly, relieved his side by making a grand dribble into the enemy's territory, Claffey, by a good kick, sending the ball back into the Blues' twenty-five. Now ensued probably the best piece of passing ever seen in Dunedin, the ball being taken by the Blues the entire length of the field through all the Kaikorai team with one grand passing rush. Martin obtained possession near his goal-line, and ran past the twenty-five flag, where he delivered safely to Hunter, the ball then passing through the hands of Turton, Johnston, Stephenson, Carter, and Mill, the last-named scoring the coveted try. The kick at goal was a failure. The game was now confined chiefly to Kaikorai territory, and was well up the field at half-time.

Hunter kicked off in the second spell, and the play ensued near the middle of the ground. The play now became fast and furious, the ball travelling up and down the field with great rapidity. The forwards on both sides were playing grandly, rush being met with rush, and the collaring was certainty itself. The Colors' backs were playing well, and not losing many chances to harass their opponents. The Blues' territory was now invaded,, and Thompson, M'Arthur, Davie, Millar, Duncan, and Torrance made big attempts to score ; but the quick, sure collaring of Lynch, Johnston, Turnbull, Martin, Power, Driver, and Mill was too good. A fine rush by tne Kaikorai forwards took the ball to the Blues' territory. The Colors here obtained a free kick thrbugh Hunter lying too long on the ball. Torrance took the kick, and with his usual certainty placed a grand goal. Shortly afterwards D. Thompson, by a smart run, obtained a try. Time was called shortly afterwards. The game thus ended in a win for the Kaikorai by 4 points to }. The game, as is always the case when these teams meet, was played in the best possible spirit, and goes to prove that two teams can play a hard unflinching game without any roughness. Both teams are undoubtedly good, the forwards on Saturday playing' on the ball with a consistency and dash which left little to be desired. The officials were : Umpires—Messrs Wedderspoon[(Kaikorai) and E. J, Austin (Dunedin); referee, Mr W. Wyinks; and their decisions were accepted without a murmur,

•yST. PATRICK'S COLLEGE v. HIGH •>., .. . , . <•.<■ school. • ■ >

At the conclusion of the match between the> Otftgo University and Canterbury College, the Firßt Eifteens of the St. Patrick's College (Wellington) and' High School tried conclusions. • The representative teams were constituted as f6llow.s:— • -■"■■■■ Hiaii Schooi. Full-baok, N. Owen; three-quarter* —J. Owen, Stephenson, Talaroa; halves —, Crsn, Fitohett; forwards—Morrison, Montgomery, Bundle, M'Brearty. (oaptaln), MandbJ, Heenan, Herd, Butemeat, Ucodonald. ~ . ~, ,

St. Patrick's College —Full-back, Sheedy ; three-quatter-backß-O'Dwyer, M'MaUon.Tringham; halfbacks—Kennedy, O'Sbea ; forwardß—Mahoney (captain), Cooney, Burke, Fay, Uaydon, W. Houldswortb, H. Houldeworth, Kearney, and Malonc.

The ball was set in motion by Mahoney, the College (blue and white) playing from the pavilion end, and was returned into touch about the centre of the ground. The first scrums were carried by the visitors, but with several loose rushes the School team (blue) worked the ball into their opponents' territory. The ball was secured by Kennedy in front of the goal, and ho adopted the dangerous plan, in sueh a position, of ?n:irkinu, He trot his I;id., however, int.* t.Msv-li, and ti.e play I'.il Si.rue linn- thereal'Lt-r Wlr: I'mifined to (ii'::(,r,tl i.f-r/iii'iry. Shi.iilv al'U-nv.irdu (VXhi'd. i;ot hKiurti.y i>.vvii.\ ami 1 lie.'iutiituiy to M',V)u,!so!i, who, evidently possussed ol good spei-tl, iua clean round the School backs and obtained a try, Tringham was entrusted with the kick at goal, but failed. Montgomery's kick-out waß a poor one, and the ball was marked about 30yds in front of the School's goal by H. Houldsworth, who placed the ball for Malone, Again the attempt at goal failed, the ball falling into the hands of Fitchett, who returned it to O'Dwyer. The latter mulled it, and the School forwards charged him down and carried the leather on to the full-back, who saved his side well. The play, which was very fast, oscillated for some time between the two quarter-distance flags. M'Mahon i obtained the ball, and carried it as far as ' the line, where he was tackled, and a maul ensued between him and Morrison, the latter eventually rolling the Collegian back into the field of play. A run by Burke, followed by some good play by Kearney, took the ball past the half-distance flag, but their efforts were nullified by some fast dribbling by the School forwards. Play of a give-and-take nature ensued until half time, the score then standing—St. Patrick's College, 1 point; High School, nil. In the second spell Kearney obtained possession, and had a clear field before him, but he proved rather slow, and was overhauled, the ball being eventually kicked into touch in the School quarters. Cran worked his way back past the centre, and the School forwards carried the ball on into the visitors' quarters, where Macdonald obtained it and fell over the line with it. This score, which equalised matters, was loudly cheered, but M'Brearty failed to kick the desired goal. After some give - and - take play, Montgomery and Macdonald were conspicuous in transferring play to within a few yards of the College line, but a penalty kick awarded to the visitors enabled them to clear their quarters. O'Dwyer, the fast man of the College team, then secured the ball, and the Collegians, keeping tha ball going, the home team were again forced down. M'Mahon secured the ball in the School twenty-five, and with a fine screw kick sent the ball flying clean between the School's posts. The School umpire and the referee were not in a position to see whether a goal had been kicked or not, and both declined to give a decision, but the College umpire unhesitatingly declared for a goal, and there can be no doubt that a goal it was. There was no further play, and the match was consequently won by the visiting team by 4 points to 1. Messrs Hodgkins (College) and A. Y. Smith (School) officiated as umpires, Mr J. H. Chapman as referee. The match Pacific First v. Port Chalmers First, which was played at Tahuna Park, resulted in a win, after a well-contested game, for the former by one try to nil. The Port, winning the toss, elected to play with the wind, Watson kicking off for the Pacific. The ball being well returned, play centred in the Pacific's twenty-five, from which it was soon taken by some good dribbling rushes by the local forwards, and it was only by the good play of the Port's backs that the Pacific were kept from scoring. From a scrum Price and Butler got away in grand style, dribbling the ball from the halfway flag, and Butler was enabled to score first blood for the Pacific. Sullivan took the kick, but failed to place a goal. In the second spell the Pacific, with the wind at their backs, were expected to make matters a little warmer for the Port, but the Port forwards playing up well soon had their opponents op the defensive. The Pacific got across the Port's line twice, but the tries were disallowed. Play after this was very even, and time was called with the score standing as stated above. The Southern Second won the match against the Alpine First by 0 points to 1 point. At Christchurch on Saturday the matches were played in incessant rain. Sydenham defeated West Christchurch by 5 points to 3, while East Christchurch had much the better of their game with Addington, though they scored only two tries. The Junior Cup match of the season between Sydenham and Merivale seconds was won by Merivale by 4 points to nil.


fßv Eleotbio Telegraph.— Copyright.] [Per Press Association, i SYDNEY. Jvne22.

Splendid weather was experienced for the return match between the New Zealand Native team and the New S mth Wales representatives. There was a very large attendance. In the first spell the local men, who played magnificently, had all the best of the game, and scored 5 points to New Zealand nil. In the second spell, however, the Maoris warmed up, and before many minutes elapsed W. Warbrick, W. and G. Wynyard, and Anderson each had a try to their credit. G. Williams converted two tries into goals, the score then being—New Zealand, 16 ; New South Wales, 5. From this point out the local team had the best of the play, and though they struggled hard to retrieve their lost laurels, could only add 7 points to the fscore when time was called, thereßult being—New Zealand, 16 points; New South Wales, 12.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

FOOTBALL., Issue 7941, 24 June 1889

Word Count

FOOTBALL. Issue 7941, 24 June 1889

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.