Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


The late William Gibson was one of our oldest settlers, having arrived in Hunediu in 1848 by the ship Blundell. He was born in East Lothian in ISOS, so at the time of Lis death he bad reached the ripe old ago of eighty-one years. Upon arrival he settled in Dunedin, remaining there for about two years, when he made up his mind to go further afield aud went to the Taieri. His first employment was shepherding, he accepting an engagement with Mr N. J. B. M‘Gregor, of North Taieri. He was hard-working, industrious and frugal, and determined to secure his own laud and house, This he succeeded in accomplishing, and be purchased the farm at North Taieri now known as Silvermains, where he resided until within about twelve months of his death, when, owing to his strength failing, he was removed to the residence of his son, Mr Robert Gibson. Though weak aud helpless, physically, he retained his mental faculties almost to the last, and was always able to chat and joke with his'grandchildren, some of whom are the well-known footballers, of whose feats tho old man was proud. He had no fancy for public duties, and the only public position that he ever held was that of a member of a road board. He was noted for his integrity, and William Gibson's word was his bond. There was no occasion for “ black and white” with him ; had he been more particular in that respect it would sometimes have been more to his advantage. —‘ Taieri Advocate.’ The late Mrs Thomas Cuddie was born in Ayrshire, in 1823, and in that town she was married In 1844. She came to New Zealand with her husband, the late Mr Thomas Cuddle, in April, 1848, arriving in the Philip Laing. They lived at Port Chalmers for some time, and then removed to Anderson Bay. In 1856 Mr Cuddie took up land at Saddle Hill, and since then the family have resided in the Taieri, Since her arrival in Otago, aa a young woman, Mrs Cuddie had her full share of care and trouble. A young son died at Port Chalmers ; next her eldest son, a promising young man who was being educated for the ministry, was taken away ; six months after (in 1871) the grave closed over her husband ; and after only a short illness her youngest son John was taken to God’s acre. For many years past her life was principally spent in ministering aid to the sick and distressed. . . . As the time of her end drew nigh she was calm and peaceful; she had, the said, always wished that she should be taken home upon a Sabbath, and she now saw that her wish was to be gratified. The moat of her family were around her, and the Word that she loved so well was read aloud to her. When the voice of au affectionate son trembled in his reading, calmly and collectedly would she complete the passage from memory. And thus passed away a good, Christian woman.— ‘lbid.’

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

OBITUARY., Evening Star, Issue 7931, 12 June 1889

Word Count

OBITUARY. Evening Star, Issue 7931, 12 June 1889