The Hon. T. Fergus, who arrives from Queenstown by to-night's express, will confer with the Executive Committee regarding the Exhibition Fine Art Gallery, so as to allow the construction of the building to be proceeded with without any possible delay. Arrangements in connection with the photographic department have been made with Mr De Maus, photographer, of Port Chalmers, to whom has been allotted the sole right of taking the photographs, which will be placed on the back of the members' and choir tickets, etc. It has aleo been arranged that a studio for tho above purpose shall be erected as soon as possible on the ground, and it is anticipated that within a fortnight everything in that connection will be in working order. We mentioned some time back that Sir James Hector would forward a Maori house for exhibition. Inquiries as to particulars having been instituted, wo now learn that it is not a Maori house which Sir James intends to send over. A photograph and full particulars of the structure having been received by M. Joubert, manager of the Exhibition, we to-day inspected the photo, etc., and found that what it was intended to send over was a carved porch of a famous Maori storehouse patrAa, called "Te Takinga." It was built out of a war canoe which waß drawn from Maketu, (on the coast) inland to Rotorua Lake, a distance of thirty miles, by Hongi Hika, the great Ngapuhi warrior, when he attacked Mokoia Island, in Rotorua Lake in the year 1822. The main figure on the doorway is carved to represent Pikiao, the ancestor of the Ngatipikiao tribe; the tikotlko, or small figure which surmounts the top, is cal!ed Te Takinga, the son of Pikiao. The legs or supports were taken from the grave of the noted chief To Rangihaiatin, the fighting general of To Ruaparaha, in the New Zealand war of 1845.
Mr D. Harria Hastings, secretary to the Exhibition, addressed a public meeting at Nelson on Saturday night, and received numerous offers of exhibits. The Bishop of Nelson will send pictures if desired.
Permanent link to this item
EXHIBITION NOTES., Evening Star, Issue 7923, 3 June 1889
EXHIBITION NOTES. Evening Star, Issue 7923, 3 June 1889
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.