A NEW CHURCH.
The Presbyterian congregation of South Dunedin are in a fair way to realise the wishes that have animated them to special effort during the past three years. They have long wanted a new building in which to worship, but were unwilling to commence the work until they saw their way clear to get the building without an encumbering debt. The congregation have now LSOO to their credit, and with the Synod grant this will suffice to pay the expense of building. Financial matters being thus happily arranged, Mr J. A, Burnside has drawn up plans, and the tender of Messrs Crawford and Watson has been accepted for the construction, which will be set about without delay. The proposal is to build on the old site ; the present building to be shifted back and enlarged so as to be suitable for a schoolroom. From particulars kindly supplied by the architect, we gather that the building is to be of brick, on concrete foundations, with a slate roof. The dimensions are 62ft x 53ft. But for the odd Oft by which tho depth exceeds tho width, the structure would be in the exact shape of a Greek cross. Accommodation will at present be provided for 400 sittings, but the plans are drawn with a view to further extension, so that 300 or 400 more sitters may be provided for. Entrance is gained by two porches, one on each front corner. The side seats are to be at an angle, thus taking away the stiff appearance which would be presented by the seats being at right angles to each other. Ample room is given to the choir and the preacher’s platform, and at tho back there is a panelled screen about 10ft in height, which will be a considerable ornament to the interior. Two ante-rooms, each Oft x 6ft, are to be built at the back, one at each corner. Over the screen before-mentioned there is a circular window of Bft diameter. The interior will be finished with dado and plaster, and the ceiling is to be of red pine in diagonal lines, which will have a bold effect, and the walls and ceiling are to be adorned with a neat perforated cornice. The height from the floor to the ceiling measures 27ft, tut an octagonal spirelet (used also for purposes of ventilation) will give an extra height of 32ft. There are to be three windows on each side —a centre one Bft wide and the others much narrower, but all of tho same height, 18ft. These windows have pointed heads with ornamental tracery work at the top, and are fitted with cathedral glass. As to the exterior, the copings and facings are to be in Portland cement, the rest in pointed brickwork. Mr Burnside’s plans show a neat and at the same time elegant building, which, when finished, will be an adornment to the neighborhood.
Permanent link to this item
A NEW CHURCH., Evening Star, Issue 7922, 1 June 1889
A NEW CHURCH. Evening Star, Issue 7922, 1 June 1889
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.