The Rev. Mr Waters, the new incumbent at St. Peter's, Wellington, arrived yesterday from London.
When the Alameda left San Francisco there were no less than five ships loading or already sailed with wheat for Australia j a rough estimate of value of the combined cargoes being 250,000d01. The Native Lands Court, sitting at Tokau, has passed Joshua Jones's title to the lease of Mokau. About 1,000 acres were cut out of the lease, leaving about 30,000 acres in Jones's block.
Mr David Young was yesterday elected to represent Ravensbourne Ward in the West Harbor Borough Council. He obtained forty votes, as against nineteen obtained by his opponent, Mr Carl Moller. A correspondent of the ' New Zealand Herald' states that a large number of Maoris passed through Cambridge on Friday, on their way to attend a meeting to be held by Tawhaio. During their stay in the town several of them got drunk, the result being that scenes were enacted that were a disgrace to the place. An inqueßt was hold by Mr Coroner Carew at the Seacliff Asylum on Saturday on the body of a patient named Norman Macleod, who died in that institution the previous day. From the evidence it appeared that deceased, who was a laborer by occupation asd thirty-three years of age, was admitted to the asylum on May 5,1880, and that his death was caused by apoplexy. A verdict in accordance with the evidence was returned.
Two men named O'Brien and Lenahan were charged at Napier yesterday with an assault on Dr Moore. It is understood that six men were concerned, but two were, for some reason, shielded. Another two, who did not admit taking part in the assault, gave evidence of such a conclusive nature that the Magistrate consented to exercise his summary jurisdiction and not commit them for trial. The prisoners pleaded guilty, and they were each sentenced to a month's hard labor. The Press comment strongly on the inadequacy of the sentence,
It is understood that T. h> White, whose eccentric conduct during his recent bankruptcy proceedings at Auckland has excited some comment, is missing. On Thursday morning last he left his residence, Richmond road, Apparently with the intention of going to his creditors' meeting, but from that hour he has not been seen by any of the members of his family, who know nothing of what has become of him. In a letter to Mr J. Abbot, one of his creditors, White states that he is entirely without funds, and that his conduct .has been bad and foolish. He asserts that sums of money whioh he borrowed prior to his bankruptcy have been squandered by himself in oallous selfish indulgence.
Mr Jtt9tice Williams will not reach I/unedin until to-morrow night. The Hon. T. Fergus left Wellington this afternoon, in older to address his constituents at Queenstown. The Rotomahana, with the San Francisco mail, did not catch the express train at Lyttelton this morning. The mail will arrive in Dunediu about four o'clock tomorrow morning.
The report which was published by the 'Palmerston Times,' and copied into our columns on Saturday, that it was intended to close the Waikouaiti branch of the Bank of New Zealand, ia officially denied. An inquiry is being held at Auckland by Lieutenant-colonel Shepherd in respect to the allegation that a lieutenant of volunteers was in uniform when he recently served a writ upon J. C. Frith. We understand that the dispute in reference to St. John's, Roslyn, is in a fair way to be amicably settled. The pastor has expressed. his willingness to resign at the end of the year, contingent on his claim for salary being satisfactorily adjusted. The vestry are meeting with all encouragement in their efforts to bring about a settlement. The Acclimatisation Societies' Conference concluded its labor at Chriatchurch last evening. It was decided thut the Canterbury Society draw up_ trout fishing regulations to be sent to kindred societies with a view of securing similarity in the regulations throughout the colony; that the trout fishing season should be from October 1 to March 31; that native and imported game should be sold only from May 1 to June 30; that a clause be introduced into the Animals' Protection Act permitting the Governor to make regulations for shooting and selling native and imported game ; that in view of the rapid extinction of native game in both Islands a license fee of 10s should be imposed for shooting native and imported game; that deer and antelope be excepted in all cases where imported game are dealt with ; that the minimum penalty for illegally shooting and taking deer be L 5; that the resolutions passed should be forwarded to the Government; that the Acclimatisation Societies be requested to appoint delegates to meet in Wellington during the session of Parliament to watch over their interests.
The Invercargill papers record the death, at the age of seventy one years, of Mr Thomas Trumble, one of the pioneers of the Southland district. J3e arrived in Dmiedin on tho second trip of the ship Mariner, in Augußt, 1850, and as an original settler under the New Zealand Company was allotted town and suburban sections. Hb settled on the latter, situated at Kuri Bush, until March, 1856, when he took up the Otiria Run, between Clinton and Mataura, at that time the advanced outpost of settlement. In time he made a considerable portion of the property freehold, with whioh he never parted. In 1866 he removed permanently to Invercargill for the sake of the educational advantage it offered for his family. The deceased leaves a widow and a grown-up family of two sons and seven daughters. Two boys pre-deceased him, one having been drowned in the Oreti many years ago near his Winton estate. Mr Trumble was what is teiroed a strong politician, and was a firm supporter of the late Mr James Macandrew. He took part in the management of some local matters, having been for a time a member of the Invercargill District Road Board. He was an euthuhiastic Mason, and a score of years ago held tho office of treasurer of the Southern Cross Lodge. On the 6th hist. Mr William Alexander Gordon Macpherson, M.A. (Edinburgh), was received into the fold of the Roman Catholic Church at Reef ton by the Rev. Fathers Rolland and Ginaty. Mr Macpherson, who has been residing at Boatmaus for more than a year past, and who is engaged in preparing a work for tho press, uaßfurnTsiieutJ:3-*-I=ssgahas Times' with the following particulars, which he is anxious should go forth correctly i—- " After the death of the relict of his uncle, the late Captain Charles Macpherson, of Pitchern and Kincraig, Invernessshire, on May 18, 1875, in the High Court of Chancery, with the consent of his chief and trustee, the lato Cluny Macpherson, of Cluny Castle (chief of the Clan Chattan), he adopted tho surname of his maternal ancestor (the Macpherson of Pitchern); was ordained deacon in Lent, 1875, and priest in Lent of the following year, by the late Archbishop (Tait) of Canterbury ; served for about two years as curate of Lynsted, Kent, besides several curacies in England, and was for about eighteen months assistant to the late Canon Leigwin, and afterwards curate in charge of St. Andrew's Church, Isle of Cumbrao, N. 8., before leaving for New Zealand." The gentleman who supplies this lengthy if not interesting pedigree is, we fancy, very well known about North Otago.
A notice to members of Lodge St John Kilwinning, 5.0., appears in this issue. Dr de Zoucho delivers a lecture in connection with the Anderson Bay Mutual Improvement Society tomorrow evening. "
The ordinary meeting of the Loyal Valley Lodge, M.U.1.6.0.F., was held in Kirk's Hall on Monday evening, N.G. Bro. Beo presiding. Bro. Tompkins, of the Loyal Prince of Wales Lodge, and P.G. Bro, Wilkins, of the Loyal Dunedin Lodge, replied to the second toast. One new member was proposed, A service of bong (' Biddy') was given in the Oaversham Hall last evening to a large audience. Solos, duets, and quartets were renJered in a most effective manner by the Misses Clark (2), Tily (2), Milb'gan (2), and M'lnd o, Messrs Diokson, Bell, Battson, and J 0. Todd. The choir Wis under the leadership of Mr J. Oarpenter; Mr A., Todd was organist, and Mr Gain gave the oonncotive readings. The proceeds were for the purpose of purohasiDg an organ for the Baptist Indian in ! s«oa. The Penny Readings commenced in tho Mission Hall, Walker street, are growing in popularity every week. Commencing with an attendance of seventy-five, it has grown till last night there were 125 persons presentmostly adults. The people in the district teem to appreoiate the meetings very highly. The programmes consist of readings, recitation?, singing, and instrumental music, The meetings on Sunday night, the Sunday sohool, and the weekly singing clasi are also well attended, while there is a steady Btream of patrons to the reading room, so that the hall is now in very active use.
Permanent link to this item
Evening Star, Evening Star, Issue 7918, 28 May 1889
Evening Star Evening Star, Issue 7918, 28 May 1889
Using This Item
Allied Press Ltd is the copyright owner for the Evening Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Allied Press Ltd. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.