Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


[From Our Melbourne Correspondent.!

Melbourne, May 16 DR FlOli'.S CASE.

Dr Figg, of Williamstown, was yesterday committed for trial on a charge of having performed an illegal operation on a woman named Margaret Deitrioh. The evidence given by the informant at the preliminary investigation of the charge was to the effect that she was a widow, residing at 18 Andrew street, Windsor, where she kept a boardinghouse for gentlemen. On the 9th of April last she saw Dr Figg at his residence, Williamstown, at some time in the evening. She told him what she thought of her conditioc She was excited and nervous at the time. She said she could not afford to pay much, and spoke about L 5. She thought that Dr Figg said that would do, or something like that. She had L 6 when she left home, and had none when she got back. She could not be certain what she did with it. She cither gave the money to Dr Figg or lost it. Dr Figg gave her something to smell. It smelt like 3 peppermint. Z)r Davenport brought her a bottle of medicine to smell, and she told him that what Dr Figg made her smell was like that. After smelling what Dr Figg presented to her, she fell into a kind of doze. When she woke she was very sick, and had violent pains. Dr Figg told her to call again on Friday. She then left, but had great difficulty in walking to the railway station. She could not have been long in an unconscious condition, for she got home by the last train. She was in great agony all the way home, and was obliged to lie down in the train. She went by tram from Spencer street to Flindors street, and from Prahran station she drove home in a hansom cab. Mr Smith, one of her lodgers, attended to her that night. She had no pains before she visited Dr Figg. _ She remained in great agony all the night, and the next day there was a good deal of hemorrhage, which continued during the next night. On Thursday forenoon a nurse named Jane Bedford attended witness, and on the 3ame day Dr Davenport attended her. Afterwards she was also attended by Drs Rankin and Power and two others. On tho Hth iust. sho was visited by Detective 1 ; sergeant Ward and Detective Sexton, and she made a statement in their presence. On the following day Dr Figg was brought into her room in the presence of the detectives and some others. She identified him as the person whohadattendedherat Williamstown. A written statement was read out in the presence of Dr Figg. She had been three weeks in bed and only a few days out. Cross-examined by Mr Purves : The witness said she had never had any children. When Dr Figg came he did not say, pointing to Dr Davenport : " Don't mind this young man ; he has made a mistake in this case." She did not hear Dr Divenport say to Dr Figg that Bhe was in artkulo mortis. She saw Detective Ward hold up his hand to stop a conversation between herself and Dr Figg. Sho kissed Dr Figg's hand, and he then kissed her and said: "My girl you will be all right." Dr Figg said to her : "My dear, I do not want to worry you, but you said yesterday in your statement to the police officer that you gave me L 6. Now you know that you did not give me any money." She replied : " Well, doctor, I had L 6 about me, and I do not know what I did with it, my head was so muddled. I must have lost it." She said to him when sho saw him first, that sho had not spent 5s on her dres3 for some months, and was very poor. He did not say that he would not take anything from her. She said to him at her bedside that she was confused, and did not know what she told the detectives. Sho arrived at Williamstown between nine and ten o'clock, and left again by the last train. She did not speak to anyone after she left Dr Figg's house, except to ask the way to the station,

She scarcely knew what happened after she left Dr Figg's house. A ROUOH game or football. The match which was played by the North Melbourne and St. Kilda Football Clubs on Saturday last was characterised by a good deal of rough play. One of the players, named Graham, who had been playing finely for St. Kilda, waß carried in with his back rather badly injured. Twice during the match blows were struck, and at the close of the game a loss of temper on the part of Christian and Farley, two opposing players, seemed likely to end in a free fight, as the crowd rushed the ground, and several of the players on both sides were surrounded by excited throngs. A free kick having been given aga'nst Christian, this player, instead of handing the ball to Farley, who was to take the kick, threw it violently in his face, Farley at once retaliating by striking at his opponent. They were separated before any damage was done, but tho feelings of the crowd were so wrought upon by the incident that at one time a single blow would have piecipitated a serious riot. Several players were escorted off the ground by the police, who fortuuately, were present in some strength. PERSONAL. Lady Robinson, the wife of His Excellency the Acting-Governor, arrived in Melbourne last week by the Orient Company's R.M.S. Oroya, from London. Dr Barry, Bishop of Sydney and Primate of Australia, is a pasaeuger by the R.M.S. Orient, which has sailed for Dr Barry has been compelled to make his return to the Old Country, ai the Australian climate disagrees with his wife. The people of Melbourne took advantage of the Bishop's stay here en route for Adelaide to honor him with a farewell meeting at the Town Hall on Thursday evening. There was a large and representative attendance, and much regret was expressed that circumstances should have arben to occasion the Bishop's departure from a land where his efforts have been so well appreciated. Dr Barry, like the late Bishop of Melbourne (Dr Moorhouse), was a liberalminded churchman, and exercised much influence outside of his own denomination. Australians are therefore very loath to part with him ; but it is some satisfaction to them to think that he must take a prominent position at Home, and that the knowledge which he possesses of the colonies may bo exercised in their favor.

Mr F. H. Solomon, a pianist who has been associated with many Australian provincial shows, has received a stroke of luck by his father's death in England, a fortune of L 25.000 having been left to him. For some time his father was engaged in business in Melbourne. MUSICAL. At the Melbourne popular concert last week Herr Benno Scherek was the solo pianist, playing a scherzo and minuet by Judassohn, and Chopin's bolero, op. 19; taking part also in a trio by Rubinstein. The stringed instrumentalists at the concert were Messrs Weston, Klein, Zerbini, and Liebe; and Madame Christian contributed the vocal items.

The greater portion of Wagner's opera 'Tannhiiuser' was performed by the Melbourne Liedertafel at the Melbourne Town Hull last e\ening, and the concert of the society was therefore of a specially interesting character. The principals were Madame Boema (Elizabeth), Miss Sara Lewis (Venus), Mr Armes Beaumont (Tannhiiuser), and Mr A. H. Gee (Wolfram). The concert attracted an audience which completely filled the hall, and proved very successful.

The cowcovta wliick are being given by the late members of the Centennial Exhibition orchestra, under the conductorsbip of Mr Julius Ilerz, are not being attended in the manner that might bo expected, considering the enthusiasm which wa3 manifested in regard to similar concerts during the progress of the Exhibition. At the entertainment, which was given last Saturday afternoon, the works performed were Overture to ' Sakuntala' (Carl Goldmark), ' Scandinavian Symphony' (Cowen), overture * Oberon' (Weber) and ' Marcho Hongroise' from • Damnation de Faust '(Berlioz). The overture to ' Sakuutala' was the novelty of the day,

beinq given for the first time in Australia. It isinteresting to note that since the departure of Mr F. H. Owen his compositions are being subjected to some freer criticism than before. Regarding the performance of the ' .Scandinavian Symphony' the critic of the 'Argus' writes:—" The rehearing of the work, when no longer under the influence of the immediate presence of Mr Cowen, did not serve to strengthen former impressions as to the high merits of the symphony. As heard on Saturday last, the first movement seernwl an over development of a not very striking subject ; the excellent orchestral treatment and musicianly skill in working failed to carry off a certain poorness of conception. ... As regards the question ol local color, the programme somowhat begs the point in its annotations, and the use of certain forms of harmonisation and of particular rhythmic figures, after all, constitute but the outward form of any work ; for the actual Scandinavian spirit let the student examine the works of Greig or the rhapsodies of Svendscn." GENERAL.

An inquiry was commenced last week into the circumstances of the fire which destroyed the Bijou Theatre on the evening of Easter Monday. The evidence of a number of persons who were in tiie theatre shortly before the fire occurred was taken, and minute inauhies were made as to the working of the" limelight, gas, and electric light, but nothing was elicited tending to throw auy light on the origin of the fire. All the witnesses agreed that an explosion was heard immediately before the fire was discovered. Evidence was given that several of the firemen were intoxicated, and that there appeared to be an utter want of organisation amongst them, the consequence of whicli was that a great deal of unnecessary destruction of property took place. William Henry Agg was committed for trial at the Melbourne City Court last week on a charge of embezzling L9l 3s 2d from the Crown Law Department, in which he was employed an accountant. From the evidence given it appeared that when the Audit Commissioners examined the accused's accounts they discovered a deficiency ofL9l. The accused was brought beforo the secretary (Mr Harriman), and asked if he had countersigned the cheques produced and entered them in his petty cash-book. The accused said he did not appear to have done so, and that he did not think there was anything wrong. On the 29th of April he wrote to the secretary stating that ho could explain the deficiency on the following day. Next day the accused gave himself up to Detectivesergeant Duncan. The accused had been in the service for twenty-four years, and always bore an excellent character. The vouchers showed that all the money of the department for the past twelve months had passed through Mr Agg's hands. These vouchors represented a sum of about L 72.000. On the 30th ult. L4O 83 4d was due to the accused for salary, and the department still retained that money. If on the 30th ult. the accused had refunded the amount of the deficiency, and given a reasonable explanation, witness believed that no criminal action would have been taken. A day or two later the deficiency was tendered in gold by the accused's attorney. If the Government had chosen to dispense with the accused's services, he would have been entitled to compensation based on his salary, A daring and skilful robbery was perpetrated at Adelaide at midnight on Friday last. The shop of Mr Sawtell, optician and jeweller, Rundle street, was broken into, and a large quantity of jewellery abstracted. Hector Hamilton, a football player, was returning home, and when passing Sawtell's shop found several articles of jewellery on the footpath. He informed the police of the occurrence. It was found that the sliding shutters had been forced open, and the bottom of the glass window broken, and the jewellery taken. There were stains of blood on the pavement, and pieces of glass lay scattered about in all directions. A policeman patrols Rundle street, but at the time he was some distance off. A couple of cabmen stated that they saw three men running at a furious pace in the direction of North terrace, where they hailed a cab, and were then iapidly driven away. The burglars timed their operations very nicely. On Friday night no lamps were

alight, and the whole street was in darkness, black clouds obscuring the moon. The mcu worked hurriedly, for they literally grabbed what they could get. Many articles were left he: ped up in the utmost confusion. The thieves ,ef: .i iifteen-guinea opal set and a ten-guinea brooch which were right in their way. ________

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

OUR AUSTRALIAN LETTER., Issue 7914, 23 May 1889

Word Count

OUR AUSTRALIAN LETTER. Issue 7914, 23 May 1889

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.