Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


We have been shown the plan of the alterations and additions proposed to be made to the Princess’s Theatre by the new proprietors of that property, which, when completed, will make our local home of the drama the most comfortable and commodious in New Zealand. In the auditorium it is proposed to alter the pit and stalls so that a better view of the stage will be obtainable from every part of the floor, and the front rows of seats will be set apart as reserved orchestra stalls. The dress circle will be raised and_ the seating rearranged, extra accommodation being provided, and above this a family circle will be erected, the dome being raised for that purpose. The present proscenium will be considerably enlarged, and extra space provided on the stage by the removal of all the dressing rooms, etc.. Behind the stage, a green room, dressing rooms, workshop, store room, lavatories, etc., will be erected. The entrances to the lower parts of the house will be directly from wide corridors past the new hotel to be erected on the site of the present Provincial Hotel, and through an extensive promenade and fernery, etc., which will displace the Saleyards (the tenancy for which has been terminated), while access will be given to the different circles by two wide staircases ending in an extensive landing at the back of the seats. The seating capacity of the theatre wil) be increased by more than a third, and ample E revision will be made lor rendering the uilding fireproof and giving extra means of exit in case of panio during a performance,

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

PRINCESS’S THEATRE IMPROVEMENTS., Evening Star, Issue 7910, 18 May 1889

Word Count

PRINCESS’S THEATRE IMPROVEMENTS. Evening Star, Issue 7910, 18 May 1889