A NEW CHURCH
FOE ISLAND BAT
OLD TOWN HALL CONVERTED
The old Island Bay Town Hall, or Quality Theatre, Humber street, a landmark well known to the, older residents of Island Bay, as the scene of many social events in the growth of the district, is no longer a place of entertainment. Extensive structural air terationa to its interior, effected during the past four months, have placed, the Catholics of Island Bay in possession of a beautiful new church.—"Tlis Church of the Holy Name of Jesus.": Built in 1909, by the late Mr. E. Keene, on his return from a world tour fl to serve the purpose of a town hall for the district, tlie hall was opened in December of that year by the then. Mayor of "Wellington, the late Mr. T. W. Hislop. For more than a decada the halt served the purpose for whickit was built, but with the growth of the district and the erection of new halls the attention of the people was diverted from what was once their only; place for associating ■ together. ; PURCHASED TEN TEAKS AGO. Ten years ago the late x Venerabla Archdeacon Devoy, S.M., then parish priest of Island Bay, with an jjye to the future, purchased the hall with tha intention of making it into a church. He . also. purchased the land at the back of the hall and this waß later made into two tennis courts for th« St. Francis Tennis Club. The fulfilment of the late archdeacon's wishes was commenced in July; of last year, when Archbishop O'Shear approved of the request of the parish: priest the Bey. Father Moloney, S.M.,' to proceed with the necessary alterations for the new church. -.-..- The- opening of the new church was' marked by a week's mission for the men of the parish, preached by the Bedemptorist Fathers. . : ' The Bey. Father Collins, C.SS.E., in his opening remarks congratulated tha congregation on their beautiful new. church. It was, he said, gratifying to learn that the whole of, the structural alteration work had been carried; out voluntarily. This in itself had necessitated a number of men devoting most of their spare time for three months. . - ■ • This mission, which in the opinion of the parish priest, was the finest ever held in the Bay, closed with a general Communion of the men of the .parish. PRESENTATIONS TO NEW CHURCH. The first presentation to the new church was that of a beautiful statue of "The Blessed Virgin," 6ft 6in in height, given.by the Italians of Island Bay v . A similar "statue of ,"The Sacred Heart of Jesus" was presented by the children of the parish. Several private donations to make up the amount required were readily forthcoming. A set of sanctuary chimes was presented by the Island Bay branch of the Hibernian Society. Oh Sunday,. 29th November,.fifty, children were confirmed in the' new_ church by\ Archbishop O 'Shea. Before confirmation the Archbishop blessed the •statue ,of "The Blessed Virgin,'^ presented by the Italians. v Christmas Eve saw the new churcK packed for the celebration of "Midnight Mass." This High Mass was sung by the Eev. Father. Moloney. The choir'was assisted by' Mrs. Casserly (Miss Teresa M'Enroe), in the singing of the "Mass of St. John the Baptist* and the "Adeste Fideles." . Services are still teing held iM, both, the old and the new church. '
Permanent link to this item
A NEW CHURCH, Evening Post, Volume CXIII, Issue 7, 9 January 1932
A NEW CHURCH Evening Post, Volume CXIII, Issue 7, 9 January 1932
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Evening Post. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.