Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


The Prime Minister states that it has been arranged that the High Commissioner (the Hon. T. Mackenzie) is to have the term of his appointment extended. Mr. J. C. Cooper, managing director of the Wellington lfarrriprs 1 Meat Com* pany, vill leave for a visit to Australia on Thursday. Advice has been received by Mr. F. Meyer, of Brooklyn, that his eon, Tpr, Win. J. Meyer, who was reported wounded at the Dardanelles, is progressing favourably. Messrs. O. R. Bendall, general manager in New Zealand of the Royal Ex» change Assurance Co., S. Spragg, of the Hansard staff, and J. B. Clarkson, returned to Wellington from Sydney by the Moeraki to-day. At the nn"i».,ily meeting of the Wellington Haiuu oh-sers' Union last night Mr. W. S. Ingram, president, was presented with an enlarged framed photo of the executive as a mark of appreciation of his services to the union. Mr. H. T. Ellinsham. of Horo°ka. a member of the Wellington Land Board, met with a nasty accident on Saturday. He was splitting post's when the axe slipped, and ho received a severe cub on his leg. He will probably be laid, aside for j-ome time. Mr. Will. Lawßon. formerly of Wellington, who lias x beeli engaged in journalism in Sydytiey for some time past, returned by the Moeraki this morning, in order to take up a position on the literary start' of the New Zealand Herald, Auckland. He is accompanied by Mrs. LaWßon. Mr. George E. Richardson (son of the late lion. E. TUchardson), locomotive engineer for the Wellington-Napier-New Plymouth section of the New Zealand Railways, is under notice to transfer to Christchurch, having been promoted to the position of locomotive engineer at Addington, in charge of Hurunui-Bluff scotion. Copt. C. P. Rogers, Retired List, ten> porarily employed on the N.Z.S.C. and in command of No. 7 Group, Napier, having been retired from his appointment, Major T. H. Ringland. Reserve, 9th (Hawkes Bay) Regiment, has been temporarily employed on the N.Z.S.C. lie was appointed commander of No. 7 Group, Napier, with effect from the lot inst. The employees of Messrs. Whitcombe and Tombs' printing department met yesterday evening to make a presentation of a safety razor ahd a set of military brushes to Mr. Chas. Coutesea, who is leaving for service at the front. Mr. A. Hill, in handing the gifts to Mr. Contessa, made appropriate reference to his response to the call of duty and wished him a safe return. Mr. John Augustus Mason, whose death occurred last week at the age of 84 years, came to New Zealand by the ship Indian Queen in the early 50's and settled at the Hutt. He was for eleven years lieutenant in the Hutt Rifle Volunteers, which later merged into the Heretaunga Mounted Rifles. He wae for many yeai'B an enthusiastic cricketer. In later years ho lived a rotired life, although strong and hearty to the last. He was once intimately connected with church lifo and a member of the choir in the local Anglican Church. Deceased was twice married. Twelve grandsons of the first marriage were among tho*o present at the funeral. The death occurred last week of Mr. Beville B. E. Layard, of Pungarehu. Mr. Layard was the son of the late Captain J. Boville Layard, of the 22nd Madras Native Infantry, and was born on 3rd June, 1845, at Russell Conda, East India. After receiving his education in England, he emigrated to America, spending many years of Ins oavly manhood in the Southern States. He arrived in New Zealand in the late 70' s, whan he joined the Armed Constabulary, in which ho filled the position of dispenser for some years. Ho was stationed with the Force at Mareland Hill, New Plymouth, where he was in charge of the Military Hospital. Afterwards ho was tian&ferreri to Pukcaruhe, and subsequently to Opunake When the Force was disbanded he took up land at Pungarehu, where he died. During tho early days of his sojourn at Pungnrehu lw earned the golden opinions of settlors on the coast, to whom he was able to rendo? valuable assistance in cases of accident, sickness, etc., his hospital training standing him in good stead at a time* when it was extremely dlfficn't to gel a doctor. "Although he novor took the prominent part in the politics ot the country that bis undoubted talents warranted," Baid Sir Charles BoNven, Speaker of the Legislative Council, when speaking of the late Eon. E. C. J. Stevens, "he was a man whosq opinion was always valued, and to whose fitntctttenln the House always listened with attention. Mr. Stevens wan too buty to give hit! wholu time to politics, bat his carefully-eonmdered opinion was Rought very frequently. Mr. Rtovotis did very wtlunMe work on tho Board of Governors of the Canterbury Agricultural College, to which he devoted a great deal of his timn and thought. He was nn enthusiastic and a closer gardener, and his knowledge of hoi (.'culture was deeper than is usually found amongst ninaleur gardeners. In a quiet manner he has done « great dual for Canterbury and for New Zealand, and the country has lost a valued citizen." The Lytteltou Times, in the course of its tribute to Mr. dtevens. said: — "The deceased's life covered a long span of usefulness, of labour quietly pel lorn ed in local and geneial politics in t! directions that he thought, wisest in 11 public interest. The fact that Ml. Stevene was the father of the Public Trust Oflioe woiild aione earn him a place o£ honour in tho history oJ New Zealand's public men."

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

PERSONAL MATTERS, Evening Post, Volume LXXXIX, Issue 134, 8 June 1915

Word Count

PERSONAL MATTERS Evening Post, Volume LXXXIX, Issue 134, 8 June 1915