Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image

BANK OF NEW ZEALAND

SOME STRUCTURAL ALTERATIONS Plans for important alterations to the Bank of New Zealand have been drawn and tenders will shortly be called for the work. The triangular block at the corner of Lambton-quay and Custom-house-quay is 'to have another story added. This will make the building four floors. The existing upper floors generally will be rearranged, but it is in the banking chamber that radical improvements will be effected. In the first place a great light donle, 20ft in diameter, will be constructed, passing through ail floors, made to give light from above, supplementary to the light already received from the windows on each side of the bank. The branch staff will be accommodated in the centre of the floor, and the public will have access to the tellers, ledgers, and other departments by corridors running parallel with Lamb-ton-quay and Customhouse-quay. The staff of the branch will be more concentrated by this arrangement than it is at present. Access to the upper floors will be by means of electric lifts, one at the Lambton-quay side and one at the Customhouse-quay side. Tho main entrance at the apex of the triangle will remain unchanged^ Each angle of the building will be finished off with a dome, which will add gi'eatly to its appearance when viewed from the street. The alterations will be carried on as much as possible without interference with the Eublic and the staff. The plans have een prepared by the firm of Thos. Turnbull and Son, FF.R.1.8.A., which also designed the recently completed Te Aro branch of the bank. The alterations have become imperative by reason of the bank's expanding business.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/EP19150513.2.13

Bibliographic details

Evening Post, Evening Post, Volume LXXXIX, Issue 112, 13 May 1915

Word Count
277

BANK OF NEW ZEALAND Evening Post, Volume LXXXIX, Issue 112, 13 May 1915

Working