Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


. The Right Hon. W. F. Massey will leave on Sunday night for Auckland in drder to take part in several important functions in his own electorate. , The Hon. W. H. Herries left for Cambridge last night. 1 The Minister for Public Works (Hon. W. Fraser) will open the Waihou bridge, Thames Rivef, next Wednesday. ' Mr. R. L. Jellicoe has been appointed Deputy-Registrar of Marriages, Births, and Deaths for the Greytown district. The Rev H. T. Stealey, of Levin, is an inmate of a hospital in Wellington, where he is to undergo an operation. Captain D. J. Watson, secretary of the Merchant Service Guild, left for Auckland yesterday on official business. Mr, Lloyd Jones, of the firm of H. L Jones and Son, Wanganui, left for San Francisco by the Moana yesterday. He intends to tour the United States. Mr. R. Fletcher, Chairman of the Wellington Harbour Board, has announced that he will not contest the position at the next election, although he will be a candidate for a seat on the board. Lieutenant-Colonel C. M. Gibbon, Chief of the General Staff, left for the South Island last night, and will inspect the camp of the Ist Canterbury Regiment at Balceam' to-day. He will be in .Wellington again to-morrow morning. On the Occasion of their severing their connection with the New Theatre, Mr. and Mrs. Charles MacMahon were presented by the staff with small mementoes, as a testimony to the cordial relations that have always existed between them. . Mr. MacMahon was presented with a gold-mounted fountain pen, and Mrs. MacMahon with a substantial autograph hook, bearing the inscription, ' Our pennies are few, but our love and esteem are Legion." The death is reported by the Mataura Ensign of one of the earliest settlers of the Tuturau district, Mr. A. M. Shanks. The late Mr. Shanks was born at Glasgow in 1844. He left for New Zealand with his parents in tho year 1849, arriving at Port Chalmers by the ship Kelso. He took a keen interest in horticulture and was a prominent exhibitor at both the Mataura and Wyndham Shows. He was a director of the Tuturau Dairy Factory and a member of the School Committee, Dr. Louis Barnett, of Dunedin, who was born and educated in Wellington, and who, as stated in The Post recently, l/jtends to go to the front in Europe, Jtfll leave Wellington for Sydney by the JVloerald to-night. As the Orsova, by fVjiich he will travel from Australia to lipndon, goes via the Suez Canal, it is Ih\ Barnett's intention to pay a flying wait to the New Zealand troops should <hey still be in Egypt. He purposes shortly after reaching London to leave f<>r France, where he will be attached & a base hospital. Under these circum#&nces he may not be able to represent the New Zealand branch of the British Medical Association at its meeting in London in July. j ?!Mr. Francis Arkwright, formerly a ittember of the New Zealand Legislative Gtouncil, passed away on Ist March at Bournemouth, England. The cause of difatb was pneumonia. The late Mr. 4rkwright was born in Derbyshire in 1&46, and represented East Derbyshire in*- the House of Commons from 1874 to ls├čo. The following year he came to ijtew Zealand, and took tip his residence a& Marton, Rangitikei. In 1890 he contested the Rangitikei seat against the late Mr. D. H. Macarthur, and was defeated by 35 votes. In 1895 he was appointed to the Legislative Council by the Seddon Government, and reappointed in 1902, but, having taken up his residence in England, he resigned in July, 1906.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

PERSONAL MATTERS, Evening Post, Volume LXXXIX, Issue 64, 5 March 1915

Word Count

PERSONAL MATTERS Evening Post, Volume LXXXIX, Issue 64, 5 March 1915