Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


A well-known early settler of New Zealand, the Hon. George Frederick Richardson, died this morning at his residence, Tinakori road. Some eleven months ago, while travelling in the Wairarapa, inspecting properties for the Government, his trap me% with an accident, and he was thrown to the ground. He received injuries from which he did not thoroughly recover, and they hastened his death. He leaves a widow, three daughters (Mrs. A. Know, of Kaitawa, Misses Ethel and Fanny Richardson), and two sons (Captain H. Richardson and Mr F. Richardson). The Hon. G. F. Richardson was born in 1837, at Cheltenham, England, where he was educated. When he was fourteen years of age, he took ship for New Zealand in the Dominion, one of the second four ships that sailed to Lyttelton, and landed there in 1851. Eventually he went to Ofcago, and in 1860 joined <the Government service in Dunedin as a cadet in the Survey Office. He speedily Cjualified as a surveyor, and rose rapidly in his profession. For twenty-five years he worked in the Civil Service as one of the district surveyors of Southland. During this time he was a conspicuous figure in local government, . fir3t in the sphere of road boards, and later as a member and chairman "of the Southland County Council. In ISB4 he was elected to the HoUjSe of Representatives as member for Mataura, and was re-eleoted in 1887 and in 1890. He was Minister of Lands and Immigration from October, 1887, to January, 1891 ; Minister 'of Mines from October, 1887, to October, 1889 ; and Minister of Agriculture from October, 1889, to January, 1891, in the Atkinson Government. He lost his seat at the general election of 1893. In 1885 he retired from the Civil Service, and entered private practice as a surveyor. Subsequently he was managing director of the firm of Messrs Richardson, Reardon and Company, Wellington. He took a prominent part in the foundation of the New Zealand Surveyors' Institute and bringing the organisation up to its present high standard. He represented it at several Australasian conferences. In later years he was associated with the Land Purchase Board and the Survey Department. MR. R. L. STANFORD. Mr. R. L. Stanford, formerly Stipendiary Magistrate in Wanganui, died there this morning, states a Press Association telegram. He had been ailing for some time. The late Mr Stanford, 8.A., LL.B., was born in Buckinghamshire, England, in 1839, and married in 1864, a daughter of the Dean of Leighlin, Ireland. He was educated at Cheltenham College and Exeter College, Oxford. Arriving in New Zealand in 1864, by the ship Chili, he settled in the South. In 1883 he became a barrister and solicitor, and in 1894 was appointed to the Bench, being in turn Stipendiary Magistrate at Palmerston North, New Plymouth and Wanganui. He was a man of kindly disposition, who was well liked by a large number of friends and acquaintances. A Press Association telegram from Auckland states:— Mr. J. M. M'Lachlan, one of Auckland's oldest residents, and formerly in business as a draper in a large way, is dead. By Telegraph.— Press Association.— Copyright. LONDON, 22nd October. The death is announced of Mr." Arthur Wilsbn, head of the shipping firm of Thomas Wilson and Sons, of Hull. [Mr. Wilson was High Sheriff of Yorkshire and Sheriff of Hull. He was Master of the Holderness Foxhounds for twenty-three years.]

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

OBITUARY. THE HON. G. F. RICHARDSON., Evening Post, Volume LXXVIII, Issue 99, 23 October 1909

Word Count

OBITUARY. THE HON. G. F. RICHARDSON. Evening Post, Volume LXXVIII, Issue 99, 23 October 1909