Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


•The Premier returned from the South this morning. Archbishop Redwood was a passenger by the steamer Penguin, which arrived from Nelson and Picton last night. The Minister for Mines and Justice {Hon J. M'Gowan) returned to Wellington from the North last night. Mr. H. G. Hayward, of West's Pictures and the Brescians, leaves for Syduey, en route for England, at the end of* the month. ? The Mayor of Adelaide (Mr. T. Bruce) .Mid Mrs. Bruce are at present in Wellington. They are staying at the Grand Hotel. The Chief Justice jSir Robert Stout) uas gone to Rotorua.: acd will afterwards deal with Supremo Court business In Auckland. The Official Assignee (Mr. J. Ashcroft) is inspecting the various branch offices in the northern part of his district. He will be back in Wellington next Tuesday. Mr. A. B. Clark, a member of the present Hutt Borough Council, is mentioned as a candidate for tho Hutt Mayoralty afc the next election a few months hence. Superintendent Hugo, of the Wellington Fire Brigade, returned yesterday from Hanmer Springs, where he had been spending a short holiday for the benefit ef his health. Mr. T. W. M'Donald, Mayor of Lower Hutt, returned from a visit to Christchurch yesterday. It is understood that Mr. M'Donald is a probable candidate for the new Suburbs seat. Lady Plunket and the Hon. Kathleen Plunket, who are about to return to the Old Country, paid a visit to the Home for the Aged Needy yesterday, and said good-bye to the inmates of the institution. The names of Drs. J. S. Elliott and A. W. Izard, of St. John Ambulance Association, have been forwarded by the Wellington committee to the Chief Secretary in England, in order that they may be submitted to the Central Executive for election as life members cf St. John Ambulance Association. Mr. John Fuller, junr., who has been managing the Dunedin circuit of Messrs. Fuller and Sons' theatrical business, intends leaving for England at the end of this month, with his wife, for a six I months' holiday. During his absence Mr. G. Hoskins will take over the management at Dunedin. Miss Putnam, organi3t at the Basilica, j Hill-street, and Miss B. Putnam, will leave by fhe Mbnowai to-morrow on a holiday* visit to Australia. While in 6ydn.ey Miss B. Putnam will devote her attention to the latest methods and styles of fancy dancing, in connection with which she has met with much success In Wellington and elsewhere. Mr. Frank Milner, M.A., late of Nel-i ion, and recently appointed rector of the Waitaki High School, was yesterday married to Miss Florence Violet George, eldest daughter of Mr. W. Harrison George, at the residence of the bride's parents, "Hillsborough," Kelbnrne. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. J. J. 'North, and the bride was given away by her father. The Misses Miriam and Vera Pegg, and Miss •Molly George \cousins) and Miss Belle George (sister of the bride) acted as bridesmaids, and Mr. A. C. Macginnity, a Nelson College chum of the bridegroom, was best man. Mr. Edward Hunter, of the New Zealand Submarine Mining Corps, Port Chalmers (son of Mr. W. Hunte- of Havelock), was married at St. Joseph's Church, Buckle-street, yesterday, to Miss Elizabeth Black, eldest daughter of Mr. Denis Black, of Kent-terrace. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Father O'Shea. The bride, who was given away by her father, was attended by her two sisters. Mr. Thomas Hunter, brother of the bridegroom, was best man, and Mr. J. Black, tho bride's brother, acted as groomsman. Mr. and Mrs. Hunter left by the Wainui for Nelson and the West Coast last night. The guests were entertained in the New Century Hall in the evening by the parents of the bride. Acting on the advice of his doctor, Captain Wynyard, of the English cricket team, who was injured in the match at Wellington last week, has decided to return to England immediately. He has booked his passage by the steamer Corintflic. Captain Wynyard's injury consisted of a broken sinew behind the knee, which carried away with it some of the nerves, the result being that he will be confined to bis bed for at least sis weeks, and it will be some time after that before he can use the limb without risk of permanent injury. As to playing cricket it irould be impossible for many months. Under the circumstances, as he could be of no further use to the team, he hag decided he might as well put in his period of enforced retirement in the steamer's cabin and return to England. Mr. De Trafiford will now captain the team. Captain Wynyard is sure the member* of the team are a much better batting eleven than they have yet shown themselves, and is, of course, bitterly disappointed at crossing 12,000 miles merely to be laid aside. He speaks in high terms of the way in which the visitors have been treated, and the golden opinions they have formed of the country.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

PERSONAL MATTERS., Evening Post, Volume LXXIII, Issue 3, 4 January 1907

Word Count

PERSONAL MATTERS. Evening Post, Volume LXXIII, Issue 3, 4 January 1907