JOHN IUSLOP, LL.D. [B* TELEGRAPH— I'RESS ASSOCIATION.] DUNKDIN, This Day. Mr. Hislop, father of the Hon. T. W. Hisiop, died at 1 o'clock this rooming, aged 83 years. Tho Education Board to-day placed on record its deep sorrow at tho death of Mr. Hisiop, und appreciation of the great services rendered bj' him to the cause of education in Otago iv particular, and the colony in general. w_— - j Tho late Mr. Hisiop was born in December, 1821, at Pentland, in the parish of Lasswodo, Midlothian, and spent his boyhood aud youth at Morningsidu, ih the suburbs of Edinburgh. In 1855 the Provincial Government of Otago authoxjtied its Homo agents to engage several competent teachers for the public schools übout to be established in the province. Mr. llistop was one of those 20 engaged, and with his wife tutd family ho arrived At Port Chalmeis by the ship Strathmore on 2nd October, 1856. He vita a I once appointed by tho Government lo tho newly established public schooj at East Taieri, where ho t*ught for over four years, besides giving valuable assistance in the management of public business. In 1861 he was appointed Secretary to the Education Board and Inspector of Scliools, and for a. number of years his duties -were of a very arduous character ; consequent on the rough nature of the coußtry over which he had to travel. Wiien tho Otago University was founded in 1869 Mr. Hialop consented to act as its titsb Secretary and Registrar, in which his eerriccs voro of vory great value. Mr. Hisiop was also concerned, -with the Lite Mr. Branigan, in organising and supervising tho Caverehiiin Industrial School, and v:ajs a member of this Committee of the Beiievolent Institution. Ho was for a number of yean superintendent enumerator for Otago. It was Mr. HWop, too, who in 1870 drafted a Colonial Education Bill, bit the opposition to some clauses of the Bill was 00 strong that it was not carried through the Honso of Representatives that kcb»ion. When the provinces were abolished, however, in 1876, a Bill of a temporary character was drafted by Mt. Hisiop, and was passed by Parliament. During tho recess of 1876-77 tho Hon. C. 0. Roircn, Minister for Education, drafted an Education Bill after ii consultation with Mr. Hisiop. That Bill was paused by the General Assembly, and is still in force. Mr. Hi«lop was then appointed Secretary to the newly-formed Education Department. For some years he had held the position of Grandmaster of Freemasons, connected with the Masonic Lodges in New Zealand, holding under the Scottish Constitution, which onice he resigned before leaving Dunedin for Wellington. Mr. Hialop entered on lus^ duties as Secretary for Education in January, 1878, and about the same time he ■was elected a Fellow of tho Royal Society of Edinburgh. In 1882, when the Department had been brought into good working order, Mr. Hisiop went Home on a year's leave of absence, and during that them the Senate of) ]£din,burgh j University conferred upon him the honorary degree of Wi.D. In 1886 he retired Iron* the public eervice, »nd again resided in Dunedin. HON. J. B. A. ACLAND. OHRISTCHURCH, This Day. Tho Hon. J. B. A. Aoland, ox-M.L.C, died here yesterday, aged 81 years. He arrived in Canterbury in 1854 by tho ship Royal Stuart, and in the following year, in conjunction with tho lato Mr. C. J- Tripp (father of Mr. L. Tripp, of Wellington), took up 250,000 acres of pastoral lunds, including Mounts Peel, Possession, and Somers, and tho Orari Gorge stations. Ho was culled to the Legislative Council in 1865, and resigned in June, 1899. He was Chairman of (ho Mount Peel Road Board 'since it* inception in 1870, and from 1873 to 1878 wus a member of tho Board of Governors of Canterbury Collog.). H<> was married in 1860 to Miss Harper, eldest daughter of the late Bishop Harper. AIRS. J. H. BETHxAf.. Tho announcement of tho death of Mrs. J. 11. Bethuno, a respected resident for sixty-four years, will bo received with regret. The deceased lady had been in failing health for v considerable period, but it was not until Tuesday last, when she wa» seized with a paralytic stroke, that her condition became critical. She never regained consciousness, and at 3 o'clock this morning she passed away at tho fnmrt- residence on Wellington-ter-race. The lato Mrs. Bethnne was the fifth daughter of the la!,e Mr. George Hunter, first Mayor of Wellington, and was born near Lpjndon seventy -seven years ago. In February, 1840, she arrived from London in the ship Duke of Roxburgh, with her parents, being then a girl of fourteen years. The family brought out with them a dwelling-house in sections, and it> was erected at Pctone, where the ea-rly settlers first took up their residence. Later on tho house was removed to tho Bite in Lower Dixon-sfcreet, near St. John's Church, on the site now occupied
by Captain Moorhouse'a lesidcnco, and thore Mis. Bethune livod until her marringo in Mm cli, 1857. The deceased lady hdd never Iwoii* out of Wellington einco her in rival. For a pioat muiiy years sho wns a K-guliu- attendant at .St. Peter's Chinch Shu possessed a lovablo nature, and delighted in doing garni for others. Mis. liothune, wlu»>e hu.sband died in 1894, is survived by four sons (Mossis. Hector, Jolm Henry, Walter, and Ailhur Belhune). Mr. Roht. Hunter, of the firm of Hethunc and Hunter, Lloyd's ugenlit in Wellington, is her brother.
Permanent link to this item
OBITUARY., Evening Post, Volume LXVII, Issue 118, 19 May 1904
OBITUARY. Evening Post, Volume LXVII, Issue 118, 19 May 1904
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Evening Post. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.