Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


Very many of our readers will be grieved at the announcement that the illness which has prostrated Mr. George Friend, Clerk of the House of Representatives, for some months past, has terminated fatally, death occurring at his residence on Thorndonquay at 9.30 o'clock this morning. Glandular disease was the fatal illness. Mr. Friend was a native of London, where his father was for many years AccountantGeneral for India, first in the East India ; Company's service, and afterwards in the Imperial service. His earlier education was 1 received at a private school at Leatheri head, near Dorking, in Surrey, aud afterwards at King's College and the University of London, where he remained for three years and took high honours. Although entered at Trinity College, Cambridge, he did not long continue his University career, but left England in August, 1853, taking passage to New Zealand by the Hamilla Mitchell, and arriving in New Zealand shortly before the termination of the first Governorship of Sir George Grey, to whom he bad brought letters of introduction, lv the following year Mr. Friend joined the Government service in the department of Dr. Knight, the Auditor-General. After four years he was promoted to a position I under the Commissioner for Land Purchase, Sir Donald M'Leau, in whose department he worked till 1863. In that 3 r ear Mr. Friend was appoiuted Clerk Assistant to the House of Representatives, which position he retained until 1889, when he succeeded. Major Campbell as Clerk of the House. The deceased gentleman, who leaves a widow and grown-up daughter, was held in the highest respect by all those with whom he was brought into contact. He was a man of excellent principle and a most able and painstaking officer of Parliament. He was about 60 years of age. We regret to record the sudden death at Picton yesterday of Mr. John Kennedy, one of the best known hotel-keepers in the North Island. The deceased, who was 73 years of age, was last 3'ear the owner of the Kilbirnie Hotel, and at the time of his death he owned a great deal of hotel property in the Wellington provincial district. He leaves a widow. The body is to ba buried in Wanganui.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

OBITUARY. MR. GEO. FRIEND., Evening Post, Volume LVI, Issue 16, 19 July 1898

Word Count

OBITUARY. MR. GEO. FRIEND. Evening Post, Volume LVI, Issue 16, 19 July 1898