TO THE PROJECTORS OF STEAM COMPANIES.
Thk following items, which we (Daily Southern Cnoss) take from a Boston paper, will perhaps be found serviceable to gentlemen in this colony and Australia who are interested in the promotion of steam navigation iv these seas :—: — Boston, June 9, 1866.—^ince the close of the rebellion nearly three hundred national vessels have been disposed of by public and private sale, but, notwithstanding this large reductiou, there still remain at the various naval stations a considerable number of vessels which, however well fitted to perform the duties required of them during the war, are now almost useless for naval purposes. Efforts are now being made by the Navy Department to sell a number of these vessels by private bargain, as it is supposed that higher prices can be obtained in that way than at a public sale. If the vessels fail to realize a sufficient price in this way it is believed that the Navy Department will cause the greater portion of the unserviceable vessels now laid up at the naval stations of Portsmouth, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington, and Baltimore to be brought to New York and sold at public auction to the highest bidder. The following are the vessels for which bids are now solicited, and, as some of them have borne a conspicuous part in the naval operations of the late war, we append a short sketch of each :— 'Sagamore.'— Screw steamer, 507 tons burden. Built at Boston in the early part of 1861 by Messrs. A. and G-. Sampson. Machinery constructed at the Atlantic Works in Boston. The ' Sagamore ' is one of the class known as "ninety-day gunboats," and shortly after her completion was ordered to the West Gulf Squadron, where she remained until about a month ago, when she was ordered to Philadelphia to be sold. During her stay in the Gulf the * Sagamore ' participated in the engagements which resulted in the capture of Apalachicola, Smyrna, and other places on the Florida coast, beside capturing or destroying thirty-seven blockade runners. ' Althsea.'— Screw tug, 72 tons. Purchased in the early part of 1863 and fitted for service by Messrs. Secor and Co., of Jersey City. The ' Althaea ' was attached to the naval station at Pensecola until last January, when she was ordered to Philadelphia to be laid up in ordinary. 'St. Louis.'—^ailing sloop, 700 tons. The 'St. Louis' was built at Washington in 1828, and since that time has been almost incessantly employed on foreign service. When the rebellion broke put nearly all the vessels at that time cruising in foreign waters were ordered to the United States, and for two years the ' St. Loiiis ' was the only vessel representing us in the Mediterranean. In the latter part of 1863 she was ordered to return to the United States ; and from that time until the war was ended was employed on special service and cruising in search of privateers. She is now at Philadelphia. 'James Adger.'— Paddle-wheel steamer, 1,151 tons. Purchased in 1861 at a cost of $85,000, and was shortly after assigned to duty in the West Gulf. While there she participated in a number of engagements and captured several blockade-runners, among which we may mention the ' Cornubia, 1 'Kate,' 'Hebe,' and I R. E. Lee.' She has lately been stationed at Aspinwall, KG., and arrived at New York from that place about a month ago. 'Octorara.'— Paddle-wheel steamer, 829 tons. Built at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in 1861. Engines by Neptune Iron Works of New York. The ' Octorara ' was attached to the fleet of Admiral Farraout from 1861 to 1565, and was a participant in the°engagements at New Orleans, Vicksburg, and Fort Morgan. She is now at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in good order, having been repaired. ' Tritonia.'— Screw tug, 202 tons. Purchased and fitted out at Kew York in 1864. The 'Tritonia 1 has been employed in the West Gulf Squadron as a tender until within the past month. She is now at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. ' Jasmine. '—Screw tug, 122 tons. The ' Jasmine ' was purchased in 1861, and was employed as atender at the Pensecola Navy Yard until March last, when she was sent to N ew York to be sold. •Kanawha.'— Screw steamer, 507 tons. Built at East Haddam, Conn., in 1861, by Messrs. E. G. and W. H. Goodspeed. Engines by the Pacific Iron Works of Bridgeport, Conn. The 'Kaaawha' is one of the "ninety-day gunboats" and performed valuable service in the West Gulf Squadron during the war, capturing a large number of blockaderunners. In July, 1865, she was ordered to fsew York for repairs, and is now at the Brooklyn Navy Yard in tolerable order. 'Marigold.' — Screw tug, 115 tons. Purchased in 1861, and was attached to the East Gulf Squadron as a tender until January last. She is now at the Brooklyn Navy Yard. 'John Adams.' — Sailing sloop, 700 tons. The 'John Adams ' was built in the early pai*t of the present century, and served with credit in the war of 1812. She was rebuilt at Gosport in 1831, and has since that time been employed for many years as a cruiser iv foreign waters. During her long and useful career she has visited Europe, Africa, Brazil, and the East Indies. From 1861 to the close of 1863, the ' John Adams ' was attached to the Naval Academy, but at that time she was ordered to Port Eoyal to serve as orduance vessel at that place, and remained there till the close of the rebellion. She is now at the Charlestowu Station.