OPENING OF NEW CHURCH, KAITANGATA.
The new church at Kaitangata was 1 taken possession of and opened for the purposes of public worship on Sabbath last. Dr Stuart officiated both morning and evening, and gave also a children's service in : the afternoon. Dr Stuart ■ came out in his best style, and preached two admirable sermons to large and appreciative audiences. The collections " during the day amounted to the handsome sum of-LSG Is, which, considering the district, -was most liberal. The * weather was all that could be- desired, - and neighbouring districts showed their sympathy and interest by their presence. -It may not be uninteresting to many to '-mention -how from very small begin* ! nings the congregation has now attained ■-'a -place of worship, at once worthy of ■the purpose" to which it is devoted, and Hvhich -serves as an -ornament to the ■'township. 'In the year 1858, Mr Bannerman began services, in the barn at -Gask,-which were 'continued there, the elders resolvingto keep up" the meetings on the Sabbaths 'the minister could not ;b'e ; present.' In 1 861 the Session took steps to endeavour ' to obtain fuller ministerial supply, and as a necessary ■ ; consequence Jthe necessity of building a church at once came on hands. Shortly V'sker. the settlement of Eev. J. -Kirkland Ssm- the charge' in 1863., a church was
opened, which at the time was substantial a i d cuhimodious, and which has which has done service to the present day. It was opened with a debt of Ll5O, which expired in a decrepid old age four years ago. Owing to the prosperity of the country at large, and. the full share of" that prosperity in this district, the question arose what to do with the house of worship — whether to repair and enlarge, or whether to build a new house in harmony with the progress oi the country?" When the matter was submitted to the Christian libe rality ot the people, a new church was, resolved upon. Messrs Mason and Wales were applied to for specifications, and a new life and hope awakened in every bosom. A contract was entered into, and notwithstanding some delay and self-sacrifice, the new church stands a visible monument of the Christian liberality and piety of those who love and delight in divine worship. It isexceedingly gratifying to learn that many have done nobly. Ladies have put matting on the floor, carpeted the | platform, supplied lamps to the church, provided upholstery to the platform ; while other members of the congregation have put the grounds in order, superintended their fencing, and thereafter contributed their quota of true thanksgiving in encouraging the bmldigg committee with a sum on Sabbath that will do much to relieve present necessities. The debt will not be a formidable sum, nor is' there the slightest danger of the same being of long standing. There is one thing the Committee regret, and that is, that a church bell, the liberal gift of Mrs Darling, could not be made available for fhe day's service, The architect will have it swung ere long, that; it may be heard on the Sabbaths as a proclamation to everyone, " Let us go up into the house of our God."
Permanent link to this item
OPENING OF NEW CHURCH, KAITANGATA., Clutha Leader, Volume IV, Issue 171, 19 October 1877
OPENING OF NEW CHURCH, KAITANGATA. Clutha Leader, Volume IV, Issue 171, 19 October 1877
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.