Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.

PUBLIC WORKS STATEMENT.

HARBOURS. I is order to improve the entrance at "Westport, an extension of the training-ii.-ill was put in hand during the year, rwia dredging was steadily proceeded with. The funds for this work are piovldcd out of the general revenue for ihij harbour, which in itself is largely licpendent on the output of coaL Uni .-minutely, towards the end of the period this coal output dropped very i-ousiderably, and in the interests i.r harbour finance it has been necestemporarilv to stop work on the Dredging has, however, been proceeded with whenever possible, and ihe regular services have been well maintained. The position of Karamea is, I regret io say. very unsatisfactory. The aftermath of the severe earthquake experienced in 1929 i 3 still apparent, and is, I am afraid, likely to be so for many \ cars. Large quantities of shattered material from the bade country have been deposited in the river, which _ is rising and generally making navigation difficult, and increasing the flood menace over a considerable area of the district. The construction of the main train-ing-wall has been proceeded with, a tempornry wharf in a more suitable position is being erected, and endeavours are being made so to train. i lie river as to improve the channel ;.ad make the best of the position as it exists. v The contract for the construction o£ a breakwater at Waikokopu has been proceeded with, and although work was held up for some little time it is anticipated that it should be finally completed within the next few months. The improvement in loading conditions sit the wharf is becoming increasingly nnparent as the work goes on. in addition to these main harbour works, a considerable number of wharves and small harbour _ improvements have been carried out in various parts of the Dominion with funds provided either in whole or in part by the Government. LIGHTHOUSES. The policy of gradually improving and extending the various aids to navigation around the coast of New Zealand has been steadily proceeded with. Arrangements have been made to provide a new flashing light at East Head, near Le Bon's Bay, on Akaroa Peninsula, and it is anticipated that this work will be completed by Christmas time. At Baring Head the necessary land has been acquired and provision made for the v transfer of the existing lighthouse at Pencarrow to this locality. When the transfer has been effected an up-to-date flashing light will be provided in place of the old fixed light now in operation, and the necessary housing? for fog-signal keepers, and possibly a radio direction-finder, will be provided. A contract has been let for the construction of the access road and bridge. A .new automatic flashing apparatus lias been ordered for Godley Head lighthouse, which will supplant the fixed light at present in use. Whenever possible, these old fixed lights are being converted to flashing operation, sinco the growth of population adjacent to many of these lights and the more general use of electric lights renders it sometimes difficult for a shipmaster to distinguish between a lighthouse and what may be purely a domestic installation or even a motor-ear. A new crane is being provided for the Brothers lighthouse, and the station ..generally overhauled. At Kahurangi a new lens has been installed to take the place of the old lens, which was seriously damaged by the earthquake of June 17th, 1929, and the tower itself has been repaired. A new and powerful diaphone fogsignal has been installed at Taiaroa Heads. It has been housed in a reinforced concrete building, and is a thoroughly up-to-date and efficient installation. A radio telephone has been established at Portland Island, and general maintenance and repair work has been carried out at the various stations.

IRRIGATION AND WATER SUPPLY. During 'the year the existing schemes ■were maintained in good order. All lands requiring rater liave been served, and the season has been fairly successful, as the water-supply has been good, and the distribution of water has been subject to very little interruption. The schemes in operation on a trading basis are Ardgour, Bengerburn, Earnscleugh, Galloway, Hawkdun, Ida Valley, Last Chance, Manuherikia, Tarras, and Teviot. The total area irrigated under all Government schemes was 42,672 acres, as against 41,895 aerps last year, the number of irrigators being 408. The Poolburn Dam has been completed and has commenced storing water for next season's supply, and this will . supplement the Manorburn Dam supply for th.e Ida Valley scheme, and obviate the necessity for pumping from the Manuherikia river.

ROAD CONSTRUCTION. During the past financial year construction and improvement of roads throughout the Dominion were actively prosecuted, and many settlers who previously had little or no access to their properties have had their position in this respect considerably improved. The opening-up of mew lands for settlement has also been responsible for increased roadiug activity, and several largo areas are now being opened up. A total sum of £2,233,42 8 has been expended on the construction of roaJs and main highways, as against £2,158,056 for the preceding year. Eoads other than main highways accounted for £1,475,522 of this sum, and main hignways £757,906, compared with £1,060,908 and £1,097,148 for 1929-30. The actual increase in expenditure on roads other than main highways during the year is, therefore, £414,614, the increase being principally due to the iecessity of providing work for the unemployed. As a result of the duration of the present depression and the need for providing'relief for unemployed, roads throughout the Dominion which, under normal conditions, would be looked upon as of sufficiently high standard to meet present-day requirements, have been further improved in width, grade, and alignment. Many, roads have been trimmed up in preparation for metalling, and in some instances in isolated district's, owing to special circumstances, metalling has actually been done by the Government." It is essential, however, that the hitherto followed principle, in accordance with which local bodies finance a portion of the cost' of metalling, should continue, to be followed, and only thoso localities which warrant exceptional treatment will re-, eeive special Government assistance. On-February 3rd, 1931, the Dominion ■was visited by a : dL nitrous earthquake,

which played havoc with many Toads and bridges in the Hawke's Bay, Wairoa, Dannevirke, and surrounding districts. Such widespread destruction as resulted is almost unprecedented in the history of New Zealand roads, and the reconstruction in the damaged area has placed, and is placing, a heavy burden upon the areas affected in particular, and upon the Dominion in general. Government assistance towards the cost of . reconstruction of roads other than main highways has received consideration in connexion with the Estimates submitted to the House. The restoration of the main highways has been vigorously carired out. "What has already been done in the matter of reconstruction has been done well, and the gratitude of the public has been expressed through the Press on many occasions. With regard to maintenance, it has not been possible to assist local bodies to the same extent as in the past. It must be recognised that the present financial • position has had a distinct bearing upon this work, the general policy being to expend, the funds available on- major works suitable for unemployment relief, thus assisting local bodies in their construction programmes and allowing local body funds to be utilised in the maintenance of completed works. PUBLIC BUILDINGS. General Departmental Buildings. The balance of purchase-money for the new offices of the High Commissioner for New Zealand in London (£77,500) was paid during the year. In Christchurch new offices were erected on the top of the Government Buildings for accommodating the officers of the Scientific and Industrial Research Department. . At Greymouth the explosives magazine was extended. ■ . The total net expenditure under this vote was £100,927. Courthouses. The new Courthouses at Upper Hutt, Papakura, Maungaturoto, _ and •which were practically finished tne end of the previous financial year, were completed and officially opened early in the year. A Courthouse at Hamilton erected during the year and is now in use. The grounds have still to be laid out. Additions were also made to the Courthouse at Rotorua, and will provide for requirements for many years to come. The net expenditure under the vote was £19,572. Prison Buildings and "Works. The expenditure on prison buildings and works was further reduced during the year, the total net expenditure being £2504. A summary is given hereunder of the classes of work on which last year s capital expenditure was made; the previous years figures also being quoted:

Police Stations. The expenditure on police stations for the year amounted to £B3GO out of an allocation of £IO,OOO. New police stations to replace buildings which had become beyond repair were erected at Cromwell, Culverden, Milton, and Palmerston South. A contract was let for the building of a police station at Te Araroa, and the work is now in hand. Post and Telegraph Buildings. Satisfactory progress continues to be made in the execution of the Post and Telegraph Department's buildings programme. • A building was erected at Mount Crawford (Wellington), for the accommodation of the New Zealand receiving station of the trans-Tasman radio-tele-phone service. Increased or improved accommodation for Departmental purposes has been provided at the following places: — Christchurch, Gore, Greymouth, Hokitika, Huntly (garage), Kaikohe, Kaitaia. Nelson, Newton (Auckland), Papatoetoe, Wairoa (garage), Wellington (workshops), Whangarci. The following works are in progress: C'ourtenay place (Wellington East), new post office building; High street, Christchurch, new post' office building; Lower Hutt, automatic telephone exchange; Masterton, additions and alterations; Palmerston (Otago), new post office building; Euatoria, new post office and residence; Upper Symond street (Auckland), new post office building; TJrenui, new post office buidling; Waitara, new post office building; Westport, new chief post office building. The foundations for the new chief post office building at Dunedin have been completed. Plans and specifications for the erection of the building have been prepared, and tenders have been called, closing in January next. The earthquake of February 3rd, 1931, caused extensive damage to post office buildings in the Hawke's Bay district. The new chief post office at Napier, which was completed and open|ed for business on July 28th, 1930, ! withstood the shock, but was subsequently gutted-by the fire which followed. The post office at Port Aliuriri was badly damaged by the shake, and afterwards burned. At Hastings the clock tower collaosed. and the old portion ot the post office building, which carried the tower, had to be demolished. The Wairoa post office was badly damaged, and the clock tower collapsed. The net capital expenditure for the year amounted to £138,670.

Mental Hospitals. : The net capital- expenditure for tltv year 011 mental hospitals amounted to £134,140. The following is a summary showing the position of some of the institutions at the end of the year:— Porirua—A surgery has been provided for A ward, female division; the electrical change-over to the 230 voitage was completed in several buildings and residences; the reservoir was completed, the dam-face being concreted to full height. Several alterations j were made to various buildings and renovations carried put as. required during the year. Nelson and Stoke —Three villas commenced the previous year were completed, furnished, and occupied. The equipment for the new bakery was installed; the Imhoffe septic tank was completed, and all drainage connected thereto. The new reservoir for water supply foi Stoke is nearing completion. Contour plans of York property havo been prepared. Sunnyside—A new villa, in wood, was erected, and will accommodate fiftyfour male patients.

Templeton —A fire scr\*ice was installed for Villas Nos. 2 and 3, and extensive drainage work carried out at Villas Nos. 1 and 2. Hokitika —A large villa, in wood, to accomodate forty-eight female patients, was completed and furnished during the year. A pumping plant was fitted up and laundry machinery installed. New farm buildings in wood and iron on concrete foundations were erected. Seacliff —All necessary machinery and appliances were installed in the new laundry and kitchen block. The old kitchen,block was altered and rearranged; new service roads and paths were formed, and additional lavatories provided. . Waitati —A new villa for female patients was completed and furnished, and a new access road was formed. Health and Hospital Institutions. The chief works under this heading were the completion of additions to the nurses' home, erection of the porters' lodge, and a new laundry and fuel shed at Otaki Sanatorium. Additions have also been made to St. Helens Hospitals at Gisborne and "Wellington, and a new nurses' home has been completed at Invercargill. An additional grant was made to the Nelson Hospital Board for repairs to Nelson Hospital, damaged by the earthquake of 1929. Provision is being made this year for the erection of a building for the Raukawa Children's Health Camp, the site for which has been generously given to the Government by Mr Byron Brown. When completed it will provido a health camp for selected children. The net capital expenditure under this vote amounted to £.17,338 for the year. * Agricultural Buildings. The amount expended last year on capital works was £1509. Additions to the Wallaceville Laboratory were completed, and an observation shed in brick has been erected. Education. The sum of £500,000 was estimated to cover the cost of the erection of school buildings, additions, sites, and teachers residences during the year under review, the actual expenditure being £501,344. Of this amount £203,292 was spent on primary schools, the larger works being additional accommodation at Brooklyn, Wellington; Southbridge, Canterbury; and new schools at_ Russell street, Palmerston North; Picton; Eketahuna, and Miramar Central, Wellington. Additions have been made ta the Technical Schools at Auckland, Hamilton, Hawera, Wellington, and Invercargill; also to the Hastings School, Rongotai Boys' College, and Wellington East Girls' College. Several large works are in progress at primarv and secondary schools, and hos tel accommodation is being provided at the Wanganui Technical School, Nelson Boys' College, and New Plymouth Boys High School. The main building for the Massey Agricultural College ts nearing completion. The recent earthquake in Hawlte s Bay damaged a large number of the schools in the district, some of which have had to be demolished, and are being replaced as rapidly as possible. The Education Purposes Loans Act, 1919 has been repealed by.the 1931 Finance Act (No. 2), which also abolished the Education Loans Account. Amounts required for the erection of school buildings will now bo paid out of the Public Works Fund as appropriated by Parliament for the purpose. The following table shows for the year ended March 31st, 1931, the amount expended on new building 3, additions, sites, and teachers' residences:

TOURIST AND HEALTH RESORTS. The net capital expenditure for the year was £60,288, as against' £20,547 for the previous year. The principal works undertaken wore in Rotorua. The Ward (formerly Pavilion) Bath building was reconstructed, and extensive additions were made to tho electrical plant, the trans-mission-lines were extended, and reconstruction of the Blue Baths is now in hand. Improvements have been made to the reserves and the formation of a ninehole golf course has been completed. Additions to Glade House, Te Anau, have been erected, and hot water service and drying-rooms are in course of erection at Quintin Huts, in the same locality. TELEGRAPH EXTENSION The expenditure for the financial year in extending and improving the telephone, telegraph, and wireless facilities throughout the Dominion amounted to £419,756, as against £594,383 for the yc.'f ended March 31st, 1930- Owing to the limitation of funds, it has not been possible to carry out such a large amount of work in extending telegraph and telephone systems as has been the case in previous years. Although the greatest possible use has been made of the amount available, the reduced oxtent of developmental work will, no doubt, be felt when the Dominion returns to normal and the demand for communication service is restored. A summary of the more important works. upon which capital expenditure was incurred during the year is as follows: The installation of a considerable amount of carrier-current equipment, the erection of new metallic circuits between Katikati and Waihi, Ngatea and Waitakaruru, Tauranga and Matamata (main toll route to east coast), Whakatane and Te Teko, and Te Kuiti and Tc Anga; the laying of submarine telephone cable across Auckland Harbour and in the Marlborough Sounds; the opening of new exchanges at Colville, Te Anga, and Waiotira; the conversion to automatic working of the Birkenhead Exchange area; the installation in ten automatic exchanges and nineteen magneto exchanges of additional switching equipment; ■ the establishing, of sixty-six new public call offices (coin-in-the-slot telephones); the laying of 25 miles of underground cable-ducts; the laying or erecting of 102 miles of leadcovered cable containing 1896 miles of wire for subscribers' circuits; the erection of 837 miles of pole line, and 6781 miles of open aerial wire for telephone exchange subscribers' circuits; and the I connexion of 12,779 new subscribers' stations. long-Distance Telephones. Tho development of long-distanco telephone communication within the Dominion, which has been a feature of the Government's policy in recent years,

was advanced a further stage during the year by the opening for commercial traffic of the undermentioned additional carrier-current telephone toll systems: Auckland-Whangarei—One single-chan-nel system; Auckland-Tauranga—One single-channel system; Auckland-Napier —One single-channel system; NapierGisborne —Two single-channel systems; Napier-Palmerston North—One* additional single-channel system; New Ply-mouth-Wanganui—One single-channel system; Wellington-Napier—One singlechannel system; Wellington-Palmerston North —One additional single-channel system; Wellington-New Plymouth— One single-channel system; WellingtonBlenheim —One single-channel system; Nelson-Blenheim —One single-channel system; Seddon-Christchurcli—One additional single-channel system; Christ-church-Greymouth—One single-channel system; Dunedin-Invercargill—One single-channel system. The installation of the additional carrier-current systems, besides effecting a substantial improvement in the speech efficiency, stability, and reliability of the network of long-distance tele-phone-lines throughout the Dominion, has improved the service generally by relieving the congestion of traffic between certain of the larger centres, thus appreciably reducing the delays on longdistance toll communications. The facilities now provided enable practically all the important centres to obtain reliable telephonic communication at all hours. The efficiency of the network of longdistance telephone communication in the South Island was further enhanced by the installation at Timaru of voicefrequency amplifiers. By means of this additional equipment, two high-grade telephone circuits have been made available between Christchurch and Wellington, which, together with the additional carrier equipment, has resulted in a marked improvement in the volume, clarity, and reliability of the long-dis-tance conversations over the various circuits with which the equipment is connected. The development of the local telephone exchange systems throughout the Dominion has not been so great 1 as in some other years. The number of new connexions installed was 12,779, which is nearly as many as were installed during the previous year, but, as the number of relinquishments of service was greater, the net increase in subscribers has fallen off to some extent. In view of the prejudicial effects likely to be felt from the general depression now existing, the developmental work in connexion°with local exchange systems has been curtailed to some extent. At Wellington Radio a 16o£t steel lattice mast has been erected. The higher mast and aerials have considerably improved the range of the mediumwave transmitters. A directional transmitting array of the horizontal doublet tvpe, with reflector of similar design, has been erected for the New ZealandAustralian radio-telephone service, which was obtained by the additionof a 5 k.w. modulating unit to the existing k.w. short-wave continuous-wave transmitter. A second array has been provided for the Pacific Islands radiotelegraph service, with a considerable improvement in reliability. The change of voltage in the Wellington City power-supply system necessitated the complete replacement of the electrical wiring and the substitution of all direct current motors by alternating current type. To minimise the risk of an entire interruption to the power supply, provision has been made for the supply to bo obtained over alternative routes and foi emergency service to be given trom a storage battery source. DEFENCE DEPARTMENT The net capital expenditure for the year under ''Contingent Defence" was £13,812, as £46,7GG for the previous year. The restricted .vote has meant that the expenditure and work carried out have been reduced to a minimum, and absolute immediate essentials only, gone on with.

I The mobilisation bases and training | camps at Waikato, Trentham, and BUrnliam have been maintained in good order. , Various improvements to lortincatiens, drill halls, and miscellaneous buildings throughout New Zealand have been carried out, and the buildings maintained. Owing to the Blount Cook site being required for the War Museum and Art Gallery, the ordnance workshops have been removed to Trentham. Central Command Headquarter buildings were burnt down, but in the_ interests of economy it was determined not to rebuild, but to transfer these Headquarters to Wellington^ The development of .the New Zealand Air Force Base at Hobsonville has proceeded satisfactorily, and the following works have been completed; Seaplane hangar block, comprising plumbers' and blacksmith shop, engineers' repair shop, aircraft repair shop, marine storeroom, Dope-room (less heating); also the married quarters, oil store, fire alarm system, No. 3 hangar, goneral store (ground floor only), fuelling station, garage, and th<3 sealing of the roads. Though the workshops have been completed, there has been no money available for machinery and fittings and tools. The Wigram Aerodrome has been maintained in fair order. PLANT AND APPARATUS The stoppage of four major railway construction works, in December last released a quantity of construction plant, at least half of which has now been transferred for use on other railway and hydro-electric ' construction jobs, which were previously short supplied, and the remainder, which comprises the older and more worn items, is being, wherever expedient, put in good repair for transfer later to wherever required. Arapuni hydro-electric construction works absorbed some of the available plant, as also did Waitaki hydro-elec-tric works and the South Island Main Trunk Railway, but a certain amount of new plant also was required to carry out special worlc at Arapuni. The major items purchased during the year include one complete set of airlock equipment, two electric hoists, three steam boilers, nine motor-cars, twenty-five mo-tor-lorries, four compressors, two conveyers, one overhead, electric crane, six oil-engines, one mechanical excavator, five fans, two oil-burning rivet-forges, three motor graders, one mechanical loader, five electric-battery locomotives, four motor generator sets, two petrollocomotives, one steam locomotive, one petrol lighting set; thirty-one machine tools, two drill-sharpeners, six concretemixers, four electric motors, twenty-three pumping units, five air-receivers, two road-drags, one sand-blast plant, five tractors, one motor velocipede, four welding plants, two oil winches, one electric winch, four steam winches and boilers. Inspecting of motor-omni'buses is carried out for the Transport Department, and work of a mechanical nature is carried out for other Government Departments and for the Cook Islands and Samoan Administration, as well as for local bodies throughout New Zealand. EARTHQUAKE DAMAGE. Early on the morning following the Hawke's Bay earthquake of February 3rd last, the Department's officers commenced emergency operations in connexion with the erection of cookhouses and other emergency accommodation for the

use of the various organisations set up to deal with the earthquake situation. Cookhouses were erected at Nelson Park and six other suitable locations. The buildings housing the Napier Borough pumping-station and power-sta-tion were shored up and made safe for operation. The Hawke's Bay steam laundry was made safe for the handling of the hospital and other laundry-work. Parties of workmen were organised to cover temporarily the roofs of houses where chimneys had crashed through in the Napier Borough and adjoining districts, extending as far as Taradale and Clive. On March 3rd instructions were received regarding the effecting of minimum repairs necessary to make private dwellings habitable, to the extent of reconditioning one chimney, permanently repairing the roof, and putting drains and sanitary fittings in good order. Owing to the absence of householders, the greatest difficulty was found in properly organising this service. However, under the circumstances, good progress was made. It soon became apparent the work involved in reconstructing the drains at private houses was so extensive that operations were discontinued, and this work was left to be dealt with under the £IOO-loan scheme. The work done in the way of restoration of private dwellings is summarised as follows: —In the Napier borough chimneys have been erected in 954 houses where roofs have also been permanently repaired and sanitary fittings put in order. In. the Hawke's Bay county chimneys have been repaired, water supply restored, and minor repairs effected in 367 houses, the operations extending to Taradale, Puketapu, Greenmeadows, -Meeanee. Clive, Haumoana, Tukituki, Pakowhai, and Managateretere districts. The greatest number of men employed at any one time in the work of chimney re-erection was 200. A good denl of difficulty was experienced in obtaining suitable labour, as the local rcptuablc bricklaying contractors were employed on private work. Cost of repairs to houses in the Napier borout'h has nvcraced about £ls per house, and corresponding work in the county districts has averaged £.22: STAFF. The staff of the Public Works Department is now almost as large as at any time in its history, although relatively to the expenditure and the number of employees it is less in proportion than it was ten years ago. It is apparent . that a substantial reduction in the amount of loan moniy which will be available for expenditure will necessitate a reduction of the staff. Already a very substantial decrease in numbers has been effected. I desire to say that the various officers have carried out their duties in a commendable manner, often under conditions which were calculated to test their capacity. THE ESTIMATES. .Following are the more interesting items from the Public Works Estimates:— PUBLIC WORKS FUND. SUMMARY.

RAILWAYS. SUMMARY. .? AIL WAT CONSTRUCTION.

PUBLIC BUILDINGS.

(CONTINUED OX

Concerns nmchandisiwp: jWBM good quality can paralleled sales opnort»Wlill|BM tcrburv most effectively XtttM economically t hrougk tfc'ffßHjl columns of Th* Pun. ' «

1930-31. 1929-30. £ £ Erection and extension 1791 of buildings 53 o Water-supply and sani217 612 tary drainage .. Officers' cottages and 2460 quarters 389 Completion of access 747 road (Wellington) 390 Farm buildings 315 894 Estuary reclamation 1399 (Invercargill) 534: Quarry and laundry 302 plant 124 £2504 £8205

Public schools £ , t 203,292 Training colleges 9,080 Technical schools 7; • 78,31S Secondary schools .128,594 Universities ■ > .241 Native schools ■ 8,922 Schools for feeble-mimled 5,110 Child welfare institutions 1,GG0 School for the deaf .. Kindergartens 1,747 Canterbury Agricultural Col. 10!) Massey Agricultural Col. 08,825 4 505,89S Less credits-in-aid 4,554 Xet total £501,344

Amount Expended voted. last year. £ £ Public Workj, Departmental 150,000 131,816 Railways—■' Railway construe- . tion 700,000 1,478,688 Railways 'Improve'- ' ments and additions to open lines . .»• .3.020,000 1.550,713 Public buildings 680,COO 423,020 Timber supply" and sawmills for Public Works Department 2,400 Cr._ 2,271 Acquisition and operation. of Quarries , . ,5,000 ■ , *,219 Lighthouses and harbour works 25,000 10,844 IVevelopment of . tourist resorts 50,000 00,203 Immigration 10,000 33,544 Construction, maintenance, and . supervision of roods. bridges, and other public works 1.100,000 1,475,523 Telegraph extension 250,000 419,756 Lands improvement 70,000 70,534 Irrigation, water supply, and drainage 75,000 62,614 Plant, material and stores 20,000 Cr. 44,772 Total—General Purposes Account 4,158,000 5,680,436 Eleciric Supply Account .. 1,374,000 1,187,797 Total—Public Works Fund 5,532,000 0,868,233 SEPARATE ACCOUNTS. JLain Highways Account : Revenue Fund 1,300,000 1,001,362 Main Highways Account: Construction Fund 540,000 757,906 Education Loans Account — 501,234 Hauraki Plains Settlement Account . . 35,000 33,468 Rangitaiki Land Drainage Account 355 6,767 Swamp Land Drainage Account i!.8,550 48,063

Estimated Net Amount required. Expended. North Auckland. Haiti Trunk— Okaihau to Rangiahua 1.0,000 100,313 Dargaville branch 15,000 91,611 llast Coast Main Trunk Paeroa-Pokeno — 414 Gisborne-Waikokopu 6,000 277,471 Napier-Wairoa 138,000 275,826 Wailcokopu section 15,000 14,151 Stratford-Main Trunk 205,000 320,202 Midland — Kawatiri-Inangahua • 3,000 89,412 Westpoi't-Inangalraa 110,000 151,823 South Island Main Trunk— AVlmranui-Parnassus 105.000 278,402 Land claims (including land taken for ballast-pits and quarries, damages, or losses on goods in transit, and other liabilities) 1,900 Or. 228 Surveys (new lines of railway) 700 488 Permanent-way material? 2,000 Cr. 121,626 Services of medical practitioner at Bart- • lett's and Kopuitwliara camps :i00 — Ex gratia payment to P. Codling, injured at Bartlett's 100 — Total for current year 700,000 1,478,688 RAILWAYS IMPROVEMENTS. Auckland: Xew station and yard. 66,000 239,528 Auckland: Westfield deviation 1,000 24,272 Papatoetoe - Papakura duplication . . 2,000 .62,554 Iiuntly: Rearrangement 32,455 . Wellington: New station and yard 150,000 73,020 Hutt Valley: Stores facilities •1,000 -— Wellington —Tawa Flat ■ deviation ■200,000 322,683 Elmer lane: Maintenance and locomotive shops and stores. ■ including power and 0,000 lighting Amalgamation of wortshops (maintenance. locomotive, and signal and electrical) •i0,00(J — Level crossings 6,000 — Level crossing elim1,400 ination 1,880 Bridge-strengthening 139.000 100,950 Telegraphs, telephones, electric lighting, signalling, etc. . . . 70,000 88,926 Wellington - PaekakaSO, (100 riki electrification —•

ADDITIONS TO OPEN LINES. Ways and Works Branch —" Improvements and additions to station buildings, new locomotive depot, additional sidings, water services, improved coaling facilities, provision of mechanical appliances in goods sheds, turntables, cranes, and other operating plant— North Island Main Lines and Branches 80,055 34,078 South Island Main Lines and Branches 16,745 47,579 Signals and Electrical Branch— Signals and electrical equipment 2,300 4,690 Locomotive Branch— Rolling stock, locomotives, carriages, ' waggons, road motors, coaling cranes, 'workshops, and depot equip- ; ment 7.14,500 672,771 ■ Gross total 813,000 759,113

Departmental Buildings—■ Christchurch (additional accommodation for official Assignee) 91 ' Dunedin (platt-shed end store) ... 140 326 London (recission of sale of lease of 415 The Strand) 14,256 Nelson (Public Works , office), (additions) 85 131 Courthouses— .Christchurch Magistrates' Court 2.7M> Prison Buildings and "Works ■ •Paparua, Templeton (main buildings and yards) . . 320 22 Paparua (farm build- ' ings) •3GJJ ' Paparua (quarry plant and equipment) . . ' 100 24 Waikeria (cottages—con - version and erection) 1,350 —

Waikeria (farm buildings and water supply) 174 418 Police Stations— Culverden 10T 1,508 Little River 1,800 — Reefton (police station and sergeant's residence) .. ' 1,000 — ■Westport (lock-up) 500 — Buildings and sites not 13 specified 500 Advertising SO — Postal and Telegraph— Ohristchurch, High street 22,000 2,831 Greymouth (additions, 1.2TS store, and garage) 3,000 Palmerston South 1.600 4,456 ■Westport 11,800 1,850 Residences for postmasters 5,000 Buildings and sites sot specified 5,000 437 Advertising 25 ie Mental Hospital Buildings— Hokitika .. .. 16,500 14,764 Porirua 2,000 3,129 Seacliff 500 8,914 Sunnyside (land and buildings) 14,000 23,933 Tokanni (land and buildings) 8,500 2 T.787 "Waitati 3.000 9,557 Buildings and sites not specified .. 500 Health and Hospital Institntio Erection of buildings, etc.. for Hospital Boards throughout New Zealand 1 (all expenditure recoverable from Boards) ... 60 Hanmer,. Queen Mary Hospital m 1,000 3.096 Otaki Sanatorium 410 2,439 Raukawa Children® Health Camp, Otaki .. 1,5.00 — Public Schools. Canterbury Education Distriot ; Addington (additions) 138 ! Blackball (additional land and remodelling, etc.) 1.452 Ohristchurch West (additions) Oraigmore (portable." 1,323 — school) 3-22 Fairlie (dental clinic) . * 180 Halswell (additions) 800

Kaiapoi (rebcildUi) -- Kaiapoi (total cHw«» Kaitarara (additMta) Laeston (total «B*bi - Liowood (dantal ttei LLnwood Amu (»tttiona, etc.) Jlethvec (dotal eliw> Mount Farter Oxford (raJraiMinx) . Oxford (iaptic Oak) - . Pareora East tsc»3* tank) fiansiara (ralixUdiiic *®d aawerage) Booanca v*ita bondings) St Satioor'a (aiditsiiaai outbuildings) Shirley Shirley intermedial# £«* aecosiit of £20,090) . - Somerfield (additiasa: ontbaQdiccs) Soathlsrids® (shelter M * Springfield Sydenham (addition) .. Tai Tapa Taylorri'I® fiiia *»< residence) Timara Sooth («it« ui baildio;) Tlaarn West {addiS«aa! oatbnildinga) Waimairi (dental clinic) "Wainui (site) Watpars (additions) "VCaltkan (teachers' iwos. etc.) Tfharenni (additions, etc. • ■Wisehestcr (additions/ -. Architect's fees mk & »! s| * i&bi at,-: Total . . - -

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19311103.2.129

Bibliographic details

PUBLIC WORKS STATEMENT., Press, Volume LXVII, Issue 20384, 3 November 1931

Word Count
5,158

PUBLIC WORKS STATEMENT. Press, Volume LXVII, Issue 20384, 3 November 1931

Working