CENTRAL OTAGO IRRIGATION.
* NEW DAM TO BE BUILT. [THE PRESS Special Service.] DUNEDIN, September 4. The extending of the application of water to their lands by the settlers in the Ida Valley and the Galloway Plat irrigation areas in Central Otago has been of such magnitude that the existing bchemes are gradually proving inadequate to meet the demand, and the Public Works Department has had under consideration for some time the best methods of dealing with the position. A stage has now been reached when the Government has authorised the construction of a new dam at Poolburn, the water from which will be used to supplement" the supply from the Manorburn dam. When the dam is completed there will be an ample supplv for all requirements. The new dam, which will be of tbo concrete arch type, will be 100 feet hieh and iBO feet long at the crest, ainl will contain approximately 14,000 cubic yards of concrete. The local office of the Public Works Department has received instructions to proceed with the work, and arrangements are being made at present to secure a supply of the necessary plant, and men are now employed on the construction of a road to enable the material to be carted to the site. The new undertaking should assist considerably in relieving unemployment. A limited number of men will be engaged in the meantime, but as additional plant reaches the scene the number will be gradually increased until about 100 will be employed.
Permanent link to this item
CENTRAL OTAGO IRRIGATION., Press, Volume LXV, Issue 19716, 5 September 1929
CENTRAL OTAGO IRRIGATION. Press, Volume LXV, Issue 19716, 5 September 1929
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).