GOTHIC CLOCK TOWER.
GIFT OF MR T. J. EDMONDS.
Christchureh has no recognised town clock with chimes* like other New Zealand citici, and the beautiful clock tower whiOh is beiflg presented by Mr T J, Edmonds will therefore be aU the more valued, in spite of the»!••««* •} a site a little away from the centre of activity. The donor's intention is to JrOVlde something which will appea 1 to the aesthetic, rather than to the utilitariansense, 'and the little Gothic toWer olanned for the triangle at tho late** section of Madras and Chester.»tt*e« and Oxford terrace, with an ornate telephone cabinet, will enhanee the beauty of an already mnch-adtoired letition of tho riverbahk. Tenders are now being called by Mr fit. Francia Willis, architect for the structures. It eatt hardly be said that the tower is to be purely Gfltnto in charaetef, but in the language Of architecture it is to have that "feeling.'' Having a solid base Bft square, with Isin buttresses at the corners extending: to a height of 12ft, it will be 32ft alga, with the centre of the dial five feet from octagonal top of the tower. The specially selected Garland's rubble, Of which the tower will be mainly built, will comprise a variety of coloursj and the coigas and gargoyles will be Or white stone, While a beautiful fri§*e with tra«ery work will be of the satte material. Qa the latter, with a word for fl&eh fftcO, will be inscribed, "Peace, Hope, Charity." The dials Of the clock will face east and" west, wita bas relief on the other two aspects. There will be a coloured medium to show through on to the glass at the top of the tower, and beauty will be added by four tracery windows below the clock itself, and four others in louvre pattern nearer the base. Entrance to the tower will be obtained by o door oa the east Bide. Lights will be attached to the gargoyles, and behind them flood-lights will illuminate the dials. On the corner of the site will be erected a combined post office letter bos, drinking fountain, and telephone box. In material and design it will harmonise with the tower itself. At an e&rly date tenders will be called for the bandstand, which is also being presented by Mr Edmonds, and which, in accordance with his scheme, is to be built on the opposite side of the river.
Permanent link to this item
Press, Press, Volume LXV, Issue 19569, 15 March 1929
GOTHIC CLOCK TOWER. Press, Volume LXV, Issue 19569, 15 March 1929
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).