CAIRN TO MARK HISTORIC SITE. A design of a cairn to mark the site of The Bricks, the historic locality where., in the days before the foundation of the City, the Deans Brother* landed the bricks for their homestead at Riccarton, which had been brought up the Avon in a whaleboat, was approved of at yesterday afternoons meeting of the Beautifying Association. The "executive of the Association referred the question of design to -Mr cHurst tseaeer, and the design accepted lvas prepared bv liini in collaboration with -Mr Cecil Wood. Three other designs had been submitted. The accepted design provides for a four-sided cairn, aft 3in at the base and lit J" 1 at the top; this will stand on a stone base, 3ft bv 3ft Cin. On three oi /'he faces will be panels of the original bricks landed on the site, and the front face will have a panel made from some of the stone brought out as ballast by the Charlotte Jane, which was taken recently from the corridor of the Old Provincial Government buildings, where it had been used as part of the paving of the floor. A letter was read at the meeting from the Drainage Board giving the Association authority to beautify The Bricks site, subject to plans being submitted to and approved by the Board s engineer; permission was also given to erect a cairn, subject to the design being approved bv the chairman of the Board and the Board's engineer. Accordingly the design will be submitted to the Board for approval. Mr R. B. Owen referred to statements lie had heard from two or three members of the Drainage Board to the effect that the Board intended to erect a building on The Bricks site to house the weed-otitter. This, Mr Owen said, was quite against the idea of the Beautifying Association and of the Unemployment Committee. In addition, the weed-cutter was obsolete, and the City Council had provided storage for the Board's tools and appliances at the Reserves' Depot in Chester street. He thought that they should have an assurance from the Board, before they beautified the site, that it was not intended to build on it. It was decided to reply to the Board's letter authorising the beautification of the site that the Association understood that the site was to be kept free of buildings and asking the Board to give the Association an assurance to that effect. Mr Owen suggested that a demonstration of the work of the drag-line excavator might be made in connexion with the straightening of the course of the river at The Bricks site. The river was cutting into the northern bank and the suggestion was that some of the ground it had made on the southern bank should be transferred to the northern bank. The chairman (Mr A. Dudley Dobson) did not think that this work was the Association's business. It was the business of the Drainage Board, or of the City Council; the last-mentioned body had built up the banks in the past. No action was taken in the matter.
Permanent link to this item
Press, Press, Volume LXII, Issue 18612, 10 February 1926
THE BRICKS. Press, Volume LXII, Issue 18612, 10 February 1926
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).