This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.



Sergeant Keith Monro Weir, who died of wounds in France on Anzac Day, aged 21 years, was the third son of Mr and Mrs James Weir, of Heathcote Valley. He commenced his military career at 16 years of age as a member of tho Coast Defence Territorials. His first contact with camp mud was experienced at tho great Kowliai encampment, which was inspected by Sir lan Hamilton. On tho outbreak of the present war Sergeant Weir was a member of the first. Coast Defence Guard at Battery Point. In November, 1915, ho left New Zealand with tho Bth Reinforcements as a gunner in tho N.Z. Field Artillery, and after five months' training .n Egypt arrived in France early in March, 1916, and, with the exception of two short furloughs to England and two brief hospital rests on the field, took part in all the work of his batterv, where lie was rccognised as a soldier of sterling merit, which was rewarded by promotion to sergeant and a recommendation to be sent forward with the recently-published quota to qualify for a commission at an O.T.C.

Captain Joseph Ivendrick Venables, N.Z.M.C., who died of wounda in France on May 9th, was born in Christchurch in June, 1882, and was the fourth son of Mrs C. and the late Joseph Venables. For a time he attended the West Christchurch and Addington schools, and afterwards the Boys' High School. After assisting m his father's business for a few years ho went to Edinburgh in 1909 to study medicine under the Edinburgh Medical Mission, with a view to taking up foreign mission work. After five year 3 of successful study, and gaining a large circle of friends, lie returned to New Zealand in the capacity ot surgeon in an emigrant ship to Brisbane, which had a narrow escapc from the Emden, which was causing so much damage at that time. Arriving here he acted as locum tenens for various city practitioners, and for six months held a position on the resident st'aff of the Christchurch Hospital. Ho then enlisted and sailed with the Bth Reinforcements. After spending three months in Egypt he was transferred to France, and remained there at the front with various battalions, and was awarded the Military Cross in June, 1917. He had several narrow escapes, but a fall from his horse was the only accident he had. Even that did not prevent his being able to "carry on," and in one of his recent letters he .stated that during the whole time he had been on active service he had not lost an hour through sickness. Ho was married in November last, to Miss M. B. Gorrie, of .Edinburgh.

Mrs Christensen, River road, Avonside, has received word that hc-r eldest son, Corporal A. B. Christensen, died of wounds on Ma" 10th. Corporal Christensen was 27 years of age, and left with the 27th Reinforcements as company sergeant-major, being reduced to corporal on his arrival in England. For a number of years he was a member of the office staff of the D.1.C., and at the time of enlisting was cmoloved by tho Public Trust Office, Wellington.

Tho services in the Parish Church at Burwood on Sunday were of a memorial character, news haying been received on Wednesday of the death in France of Colin Campbell, eldest son of Mr George Campbell, of Reeve's road. There were good conijregations afc both services, and special hymns were sung bv the choir. The vicnr, in the morning, and Mr Adams in the evening, made reference to the sympathy felt by all the residents of the district for the bereaved relatives, in token of which a beautiful wreath of flowers was placed upon the lectern.

One of the last draft of returned soldiers, Private Haymond Murray, ivas taken ill with fits at the Pooplo's Palace on Sunday night, and on I>r. Temple's advice mis removed to the hospital, "where he died about midnight. Private Murray, whose father lives at Opaki, was -on his way to Hanmor Springs for treatment. An inquest will lie held to-day at 2 p.m. Two other soldier patients. Private TV. J. "Will and Gunner F. J. Nicholl, died at the hospital on Sunday.

Private Erio G. R-ef-ve (wounded) is the only son of Mr E. of Rangiora. He left with the 29th Reinforcements. Information has been received that bis wound is not a serious one.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

THE FALLEN AND WOUNDED., Press, Volume LIV, Issue 16217, 21 May 1918

Word Count

THE FALLEN AND WOUNDED. Press, Volume LIV, Issue 16217, 21 May 1918

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.