MBS STEPHEN' JOHNSON. On Sunday afternoon Mrs Stephen Johnson, one of Canterbury's pioneers, died at her residence, 233 Antigua street. Tbe deceased "was born at "Worksop, England, in February, 1836. "With her husband (.who survives nor) and two infant children, sho arrived in iityiteitoa on September liist, 1858, in t-Jie ship Zeaiandia, and had to walk over me iiridie fain. The hrst campground was'on the uaiiis of iieatucote, near wnat is now Known as Wilson's iSndge. A rough whare was erected, wmcn nad to seive ior several days, owing to tne non-arrival *>i a -AUtun scuoouer wuu tne iauiny's belongings. This necessitated several trips over tbe hills to rhe Port and back. The first home was made on tho Ferry road, close to tho present 6ite of the English Church, lmriug a period ot su\ <_-ii years tno deceased was very helpful to new arrivals, tending the sick children and tired mothers who had walked over the hills. Fifty years ago Mia -Johnson removed to Cnristchurch, where she resided till her death. Sho took an active part in several organisations for the advancement of her adopted country, and was at one timo president of the Women's Political Association, which was founded by Mrs W. P. Reeves. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon at tiie Sydenham- Cemetery, and was largely attended. A number of wreaths were sent by relatives and friends. Canon Bean oiriciated, having arrived with his parents in tho same ship. ■ A number of fellow-passengers wero also present. The deceased celebrated her diamond wedding on June 19th, 1914. Of a family of sis, two sons and two daughters survive her.
An old' resident of Coromandel, Mr Alfred A. Preece. dted last week. He was the fourth son of the late Mr J as. Preece, the first Anglican missionary to visit Coromandel. . Tho deceased, who was a groat Maori linguist and authority on the Nativo language,, was born at Puriri, Thames, in 1814. He leaves a son —Privalo J. W. A. Preece, ivho is at present en route for t#ie front, l four (Mesdames Rich. Sim- | nionds, and James Ecclestoue, and ; Mioses A. and E. Procc. of CoromanI del), and two brothers, Captain Gcorgo i Preu<"o. of Pnlmerston North, and Mr ; H. Preece of Coromandel. and one ! sister, Mrs Spicer. of Auckland. ! 31 rA. J. Bur'ou died in Wellington on Saturday at the age .of eighty-uvo years. Ho was born at, Havfo.d, England, and enlisted in tho Koyal Marines iu 185-1. He served on the Colossus, St. Vincent, Cambrian, lipinglc, Asia, and Victory, with a total service of over twelve years. . Ho took part in the bombardment of Hongkong, tho capture- of Canton, aud the bombardment of Sebastopol, and saw service on the West Indian station and as one of the guards on H.M.S. Victory. During part of the time he.was. under the late Sir Charles Napier. He had been » resident of Wellington for forty-two yoa; s, and was a member of the Wellington branch of the New Zealand Association o£ his Majesty's Veterans. He leaves a widow, two f=ons| a daughter, and eight grandchildren. One of the few living links with the very earliest days of Auckland was severed last week, by the ueath. of Mrs Elizabeth is.issliug, who passed away at her home in Claybrook road, j'arucll, aged 78 years. The deceased lady was born in lx>ndon hi 1&18, and wa« the daughter of Mr Sampson Kempthorne, architect, who embarked for Auckland with his family in the ship St. George about the end of 18-11, arriving there in May 1842. Mr Kempthorne, before leaving London, had purchased a: large* section of land in Parnell, close to what is now the Domain Drive entrance; and among his personal effects "aboard the vessel was a complete wooden cottage in sections. This he erected on property, and for a. long time it formed the home ■of his family. - About the year 185", his daughter married- the late Mr John Kissling, eldest son of Archdeacon G. A. Kissling tho. first vicar of St. Mary's Cathedral, who had also arrived witji his family in 1842With the exception of several years between 1862 and 1871, when her husband's duties as a bank official took him to the South Island, the whole of Mrs Kissling's married life was spent in Auckland. She was left a widow in 1871. Her descendants number twentythree —four children, sixteen grandchildren, and three greatgrandchildren. The children are Messrs H. P..Riesling, of Auckland; G. A. Kissling. of Kaiapoi; and Mesdames A. E. Dewes and Thomas Ward, of Parnell". Amongst her brothers is the Ven. Archdeaoon Kempthorne, of Nelson:
Mr Arthur. Lissant, whose, death occurred in St. Vincent's Hospital, Sydney. a few days ago, was one of Sydney s oldest theatrical' identities. Arriving there many yearo ago .from England, Mr Lissant appeared in the early productions of most of the Gilbert and Sullivan operas. • In his younger days he had a fine baritone voice and ho was a reliable and versatile actor. He understudied Geprge Lauri, and on pensions filled that actor's, parts with success. To the older generation of playgoers (says the Sydney "Sun") he
will be best remembered for his work as Plaza-Toro in "The Gonodliers," and as Pooh-Bah in "The Mikado," winle those of a later period will not forget his quaint studv of Kenneth Mugg m "The Belle of "N T ew York." In the dramatic field one of his best studios ■was that of Canon Wealthy in '"The Christian."'
The late Mr John Stevens, ex-MJ?. for Kangitikei, passed away in. characteristic iasnion. He was emitting and joking with his friends upon tavourito topics, when •no leaned back and expiiod. The end was quit© sudden, and came without warning. Only tnree minutes before he died Mr Stevens laughed heartily at a joke he had made concerning the German naval ''victory in the North Sea. There was nomJig to give any indication that he was m anything but his usual health, which has been good, in spite of his blindness and paralysis, largely owing to ins great courage and good; spirits and his very careful dietary, which had led him to live largely on fruits, nuts, and vegetable?. Mr Stevens was predeceased bv his second wifo some years back. His children include Mrs Colonel Walrymple, who is now in France. Miss Ethel Stevens (Gisborne), Misses Hilda and' Daisy Stevens, of Palmerston North, Miss Ale on Stevens, of Featborston, Mr Laurie Stevens, of TaranaKi. Burrell and Kenneth Stevens, on active service, and Mr William Stevens, of Philadelphia. Mr J. Stevens, late inspector of the Postal Department and now a well-known farmer and busiuess man of Palmerston North, is a brother of tho deceased. Mr Stevens, on his mother's side was a member of the _wellknown Fraser familv of B-angit'kei, ihe descendants of which are considered to exceed in number any other single family in New Zealand. Since he became' blind 'and paralysed in the lower limbs, Mr Stevens would never • allow anyone to symoathise with him, and was nev« r known to murmur at h'fi fate. The funeral will take olaee in Fraser fn-milr burial ground Parewanui. Bulls, to-day.
' The funeral of the late Mrs Eveline \Vill6tt Cunnington, who died at Sumner on Saturday, took place at tne Lin wood Cemetery, yesterday,, liis Lordship Bishop Julius conducting the burial eervico. The funeral was attended by a number of personal friends and co-workers of the .deceased, and bv a good many representatives of the tihristchureh Socialists. Mrs Cunnington having.been a prominent member of tho Fabian Society.
By the death of Mr John Casey Forde, -which occurml on Saturday, the Western District of Southland loses another of tho rapidly diminishing band oi' pioneers who turned that count)y from a wilderness into its present fertile state. Deceased leaves widow, a sou in Los .Angeles, U.S.A., and one daughter. Mrs M. O'Brien, Otautau.
Permanent link to this item
OBITUARY., Press, Volume LII, Issue 15658, 2 August 1916
OBITUARY. Press, Volume LII, Issue 15658, 2 August 1916
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).