ST. JOHN'S MEMORIAL CHURCH, HORORATA.
The following are some particulars of St. John's Memorial Church, Hororata, the foundation stone of which was laid by Bishop Julius on Saturday last.
The style of the building is of tlie thirteenth century English Gothic, the external Face -of the '*»_>' -being of hard stone, obtained from near Glentunnel, with' a worked chamfered plinth of Timaru stone. The quoins of the doorways,, buttresses, angles, and all windows, as also the' external strings, cornices, gables, parapets, copings and crosses are of Oamaru stone. Internally the walls are finished in white stone with moulded string courses, cornices and other architectural features. Tlie roof of the nave is of substantial open timber construction with double principals, the roof of the chancel having arched principals, and being panelled. All roofs will be covered with best Welsh slates, and finished with patent ventilating ridging. The principal dimensions of the building are:—Nave 60ft sin x 28ft, chancel 18ft x 20ft. vestry 13ft x 13ft, nnd entrance porch lOft 6in x 10ft, height of naye walls 17ft, chancel walls 19ft, height of nave ridge 36ft from floor, chancel 32ft. Internally, the nave is divided into five bays by means of pilasters which carry the roof -principals. At the opening to the chancel is a moulded arch carried on corbels, whilst at the west end of the nave, and opening into the vestry under the tower, is" another arch, but of 6omevvhat plainer design. One of the chief features of ; the structure will be the tower at the west end, which will rise to a height of 64ft. The lower portion of the tower forms the vestry, as already stated, the upper portion having ringing and bell chambers, the whole being finished with a flat roof and embattled parapet. The nave will be lit by a two-light window in ea_i bay, the chancel by the east window of five lights, and also windows npon the north and south sides All windows will be filled with leaded lights of Cathedral glass. The architect for the building is Mr Cyril J. Mountfort, of Christchurch, and tbe contractors are Messrs Graham and Greig, of Christchurch.
Permanent link to this item
ST. JOHN'S MEMORIAL CHURCH, HORORATA., Press, Volume LXVI, Issue 13652, 8 February 1910
ST. JOHN'S MEMORIAL CHURCH, HORORATA. Press, Volume LXVI, Issue 13652, 8 February 1910
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).