HIS MAJESTY'S THEATRE.
HOW IT IS PROGRESSING. Tho Canterbury Hall Company are to bo congratulated upon tho thorough up-to-dateness which characterise the conversion of the hall into His Majesty's Theatre. This is ehown, not only in connection with the auditorium, but also as regards tho stage appointments. When completed, the stage of His Majesty's will be. one of tho boet, if not the best, in tho colony. Th?re is a complete electrical lighting system for borders, float lights, bunches, etc. The dressing-rooms are spacious, well-lighted, and well-appoint-ed. There is, on the northern Bide, what has hitherto been, a great want ill connection with visiting companies, a room for storing scenery not in use. This is also to be used as a wardrobe. The orchestra doors from under the stage are now on each side of the conductor's chair, instead of being right alongside it.
It is perhaps in connection with the auditorium that tho largest amount of alteration has been made. The dresscirclo has been brought forward until the ends of the curves of the horseshoe rcacli the door formerly used as the entrance to the orchestral stalls. The circle will seat three hundred persons, and will bo filled with tho same chairs formerly used. Tho space gained by tho shifting forward of the circle has be-wi thrown into a handsome foyer at the back of the dress-circle, and divided from it by walls. This will ensure cosiness, anil an. absence of draughts. The foyer, the ceilings of which will be ooved, is intended to be used for a tea-room, a welcome innovation, whore a number of little tables will be placed ior the purpose of refreshments being served between the acts. This will bo handsomely decorated, and a caterer put in charge with a fixed tariff. On the lett-hand side, chut off from tho foyer by heavy velvet curtains, will bo the smoking lounge for gentlemen, entrance to which can be t;aiiied cither from the dress-circle or through tho foyer. On. the right-hand side will be the ladies' lounge, where hulif.s can sit or wait for their escorts. A cloakroom and lavatory are also included.
One important matter is that under the new arrangements all the. visitors to tin- different portions or" tho Theatre, are kept separate. The entrance to tho orchestral stalls will be by tho door nearest "Worcester street," and along the corridor. At the end whore the stage door was is a cloakroom and lavatory for tho orchestral stalis. Two inclined planes in the corridor load to tho doors for tho stalls and orchestral stalls. For tho dress-circlo tho entrance will be by the main door, tho vestibule Ixing now shut off by partitions on each side dividing the entrance from the stalls on one sido and the pit on the, other. Tho general theatre office and manager's room are on tho northern side. Exits arc provk'.od for the pit and stalls on the northern, sido into tho right-of-way. Tho view of tho stage obtained trom the back of the pit is excellent. The stage, can bo seen from every part of the dress-circlo, which is not too high to prevent those in tho back seats "of the circle getting an excellent view. .Lao stall seats will be wooden car tipup chairs in. iron frames, screwed to tho floor, and with comfortable backs. I ho orchestral stalls will bo fitted witn plush chairs similar to thoso in the dress-circle. Altogether there is a completeness of detail abont the new theatre which augurs well for its comfort and convenience, alike to audience and actors. Messrs Ronnie and Pcarcc arc confident of completing the wholo of the work, including decoration, by the 2Gth inst.
Permanent link to this item
HIS MAJESTY'S THEATRE., Press, Volume LXII, Issue 12562, 3 August 1906
HIS MAJESTY'S THEATRE. Press, Volume LXII, Issue 12562, 3 August 1906
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).