AN OLD LAND MARK.
With the removal of the original sod church of the Holy Trinity, Avonside, | which formed the centre portion of the present church, an old land mark has [ disappeared. It was the second church built in Christchurch,'dating back to 1855. the first being, of course, St. Michael's. Among the early eettlers in the Avonside district was the Charles Mackie, whose home, Stricklands, gave its name to Strickland's street. In 1855 the first eervice was held in Mr Mackie's house, and from that time regular services were held on alternate Sundays nt Stricklands and at Broome farm (now Dallington), then occupied by Mr. John Dudley. In 1855 tho parish of Avonside was duly formed by Bishop Selwvn, but the boundaries wero not definitely fixed till 1859. The first parish meeting was held in the room which served as a temporary church, on December 11th, 1855, when Messrs Brittan and Gundry.were elected io represent the parish in the body of tho Church Property Trustees, and Messrs Hiohens and Brittan were appointed churchwardens. There were no vestrymen. In 1855 tbe church was built. The site for the church, churchyard, and schoolhouse, in all two acres/ was given by an English clergyman, the Rev. AT. Bradley. This donation of land stands first in the diocesan "List of endowments and donations of land for church purposes made by .private individuals," tbe date of tho conveyance to Bishop Selwyn being April '12th, 185 G. Through Mr Mackie's exertions, 6ix acres of land surrounding the church site were scoured and dedicated as a glebe, the date of the deed of gift being September 20th. 1858. Tho original cost of the church was £584 19s 6d. There is no record of the date of tho completion of the building, but it was certainly used for Divine service on Christmas Day, 1855. and it was consecrated by the late Bishop Harper on February 24th, 1857. The church wa* built, on a foundation of concrete, of well-tempered cob, of considerable thickness. The main building, including the chancel, waa about 65ft in length, 'width 24ft, and-contained 200 sittings. On several occasions the church was enlarged, tho old original cob portion being preserved intact, . f. ,
Permanent link to this item
AN OLD LAND MARK., Press, Volume LXII, Issue 12198, 19 May 1905
AN OLD LAND MARK. Press, Volume LXII, Issue 12198, 19 May 1905
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).