MOTOR CAR NEWS. 'TEE Registration of Jiotorist* is compulsiry in France. There ire 12000 motor cars in mc in Paris. The legal speed limit in England i* 20 miles en hour. The Gordon-Bennett motor contest for this year takes place shortly in Germany. Lord Plunket, tie newly-appointed Governor of New Zealand, is an enthusiastic motorist and the owner of three cars. The recently-erected Motor Garage of Oates, Lowry and Co., in Manchester street, Christchurch, is said to be the largest iv the Australian colonies. The Christchnrch Automobile Association has a membership of over forty. Rambler motor cars are very popular in South Africa. Four thousand hands are employed in the De-Dion Bouton Motor Works in France. Ninety-one per cent, of cars exhibited at the recent motor car exhibition in London were petrol cars. The Rambler Motar Car Works in America cover 33 acres, and are the second largest in the States. Owing to the engines being placed low, English and French cars are not suitable for Australian roads. Steam cars are going out of demand, owing to the heavy cost of running, and danger of getting on fire. Electric cars are only suitable for town use, owing to the limited radius of the capacity of the accumulators. Rambler motor cars gained high honours in tho American 1000 miles reliability trials. Auckland leads the way for the largest number of motor cars in use in any part of Xew Zealand. A petrol store-rcom is attached t:> Oates, Lowry and Co.'s Motor Garage in Chriistchurch. There is a probability of establishing a motor passenger service in Fendalton, a suburb of Christchurch. Two leading residents of Dannevirke use up-to-date cars; both are Ramblers. Wood wheels are now almost universally used, by the leading makers. Wire-spoke wheels having been found unreliable. A thirty-five horse eteam lorry, imported by Oates, Lowry and Co. for a firm in Hawke's Bay, is doing excellent work, and effects a saving of £3 a week compered with horse traction. The most expensive motor car in New Zealand is owned by a gentleman in Eawke's Bay, and cost £1200! The American makers are alive to the requirements of the colonies, and build their cars with wide gauge of wheels, and engines placed high, so that creeks, water-races, and bad roada offer no impediments to their cars. Motor Cars can now be hired from Oates, Lowry and Co., Christchurch. The demand for large, highly-powered cars in England twelve -months ago is on the wane, and cars to seat two and four persons are all the rage now. The repairing arrangements for cars at Oates, Lowry and Co.'s new Garage is most complete. Unless the English makers alter their cars to have wide gauge wheels and engines placed high, they will lose the colonial trade. Economy in the cost of running cars is an important point with buyers. Bcmbler oars cost under three-farthings per mile for New Zealand roads. Wheel-steering ii universally used now, and ensures steady and accurate running. The multiplicity of levers and taps on some motor cara are sufficient to frighten experienced drivers. The RambleT care have only one lever, and are extremely simple to operate. The King's motor cars are exempt from speed restriction* in England.
OATES. LOWBY AXD CO. are to be congratulated for their enterprise in launching into the motor business in such a complete scale, and their venture will tend largely to popularise the use of motor cars in Canterbum and the ! otheo provinces where the firm has established branches.
Permanent link to this item
Page 3 Advertisements Column 2, Press, Volume LXI, Issue 11882, 2 May 1904
Page 3 Advertisements Column 2 Press, Volume LXI, Issue 11882, 2 May 1904
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).