OPENING OF MESSRS P. AND D DUNCAN'S NEW BUILDING.
The firm of P. and D. Duncan, Limited, one of the oldest in the agricultural machinery manufacture trade in the* city, finding themselves hampered for room in in the conduct of their business, have just completed a new building in Tuam street. This is three storeys in height, substantially built of brick and stone. On the ground floor is a store 48 x 30, dr-ssing .hop 30 x 16, and. engine house 12 x 8. These have a 14ft ceiling. On the first floor is a pattern -tore 83 x 30, with 10ft ceiling. The pattern store is 83 x 30. Tlie foundry is 107 x 48, and tne core house 16 x 10. Altogether -he building is a great improvement to the portion of the city in which it is situated. All tlie latest and most up-to-date machinery will be installed, making it a most perfect establishment. Over two hundred of the firm's em-ployee-eat down to a banquet in the large pattern room. Tlie chair was occupied by Mr John Duncan, who expressed regret that tlie head of the firm (Mr Peter Duncan), although present, was not in a -ufficient robust state of health to preside. After the usual loyal toasts, Mr H. Pearce (of Memre Bennie and Pearce, contractors for the new buildings), proposed "Tine Commercial and ilanufacturing Intei-sts," alluding especially to the great progress _nade by P. and D. Duncan, Messrs T. Atkinson and Geo. Scott, junr., responding. Mr F. Waddell proposed th-* " Agricultural and Pastoral Interests of New Zealand," remarking that in agricultural implement work tlie firm of P. and D. Duncan was second to none, in New Zealand. They were good " bosses," paid good wages, and employed the be_t men. This was largely the secret of their success. Messrs W. Mauchlin and C. Mcpherson responded. Mr Scott proposed " Success to Greater Christchurch," Messrs Pearce and Russell replying. Mr Robert Buchanan proposed " Success to Messrs P, and D. Duncan's New Foundry." In doing co lie spoke of his long personal friendship with the present Mr Peter Duncan, And tlie late Mr David Duncan. The firm's success had been attained by its good reliable work, and he was sure there was a great future ahead of the firm. Mr John Duncan, on behnlf of P. and D. Duncan, Limited, said it wua over 38 years since his uncle took ilie firrt- step in the present busi-jcss*. Of late tlieir business had grown so greatly that they had been ranch hampered for room. The firm had acquired tlie present property and intended putting in up-to-date machinery, so' that the foundry would be one of th. be_t in New Zealand. Tlvey trusted tliat. New Zealand would still go ahead, and that .P. and D. Duncan, Limited, would still be able to employ the same number of hands and turn out even better good?, if that were possible. (Applause.) Mr J. R. Duncan (eldest iron-of Mr P. Duncan) endorsed the previous speaker's remarks- It .was his hope that they would employ even more men in the future than tliey had done in the past-. Tlie toasts of "The Architects." "The Bttii_ers" "Tlie Clerk of Works," "Th. Office Staff," " Heads of Departments," and ".The Workmen, Part and Present," wer. also given and dnry honoured. Durinjr the afternoon an antique grandfather's clock, standing sanw «>even feet high, was prerented to Mr John Duncan (son of the late Mr David Duncan), by the employees, on the eve" of his departure on a visit to England. Mr C. Edkins mad? the presentation, and Mr.Duncan suitably replied.; Songs were sung, and a very sociable and pleasant time was _p_nt. j
Permanent link to this item
CITY IMPROVEMENTS., Press, Volume LXI, Issue 11853, 28 March 1904
CITY IMPROVEMENTS. Press, Volume LXI, Issue 11853, 28 March 1904
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).