ARRIVAL OF THE WARSHIPS AT LYTTELTON.
Yesterday morning H.M.S. Archer arrived from Auckland, and in the afternoon H.M.S.'« Pylafos. Torch, and Sparrow arrived, also from Auckland. They are anchored in the stream, on the north side of the harbour, opposite Camp Bay.
i The Archer was in the Lyttelton harbouT a few tnontha ago. She was commissioned to the Australian Station last year. Her displacement is 1770 tons, her indicated horse-power 2200, ajid her speed 16.5 knots. She carries six guns. Her officera' are:-"-Commander, John P. ton ; navigatng lieutenant, Kenneth Dixcn; lieutenants, Gorman M'Lewia, Archibald T. Stewart; staff-surgeon, William J. Maitland, Ai.D. ; paymaster, WMiam F. Wel!e; chief engineer, '.. James R. Roffey; *ubHsutenante, R. iN. R. William, 0. C. Whall; gunner, Michael Carey; actinggnnner, (ieorge J. Pacey; artificer, William H. Roxburgh. The Torch, which 'has also visited Lytteiton previously, is a screw sloop of 960 tons displacement, horse-power 1000, aaid speed 13.25 knots. She carries six guna. She was first commissioned to the Australian Station, in 1897, and returned to England last year, being again - commissioned to this station' after a general overhaul. She reached Sydney early in this year, and came to New Zealand at the end of April. Her officers, are:—Commaoder, Norman G. Macalister; navigating lieutenant, Gregory Staplcton ; lieutenants, Marcus F. B. YVhyte and Claud's Seymour"; surgeon, Robert S. Bernard ; assistant paym&ster-in-charge, Alfred E. B. Hosken; engineer, Edward J. "Vlfeeks ; gunner, James Kelley; clerk, Robert T. Johnson.
H.M.S. Sparrow- is the latest addition to the fleet under Rear-Admiral Beaumont's command, and arrived at Sydney in March last, replacing the Ringdove on the Australian Station. Classed as a first-class gunboat, ehe is a. sister''ship to the Ringdove. Her displacement is 800 tons. Her dimensions are:—Length, 165 ft; beam, 31ft; draught, lift 7iin. Her armament consists of six 4in guns, two 3-pounder quick-firing guns, ana two machine guns. Her engines are of 1200-horse-power, and her speed 13 knots. She was built at a total cos* of £39,000. Her officers are; — Lieutenant and commander, Alexander A. (tordon; navigating lieutenant, Maxwell H. Anderson; sub-lieutenant, Geoffrey Mackworth; *ijrgeon, Harold J. Chater; assistant engineer, Harry E. Nicholls; gunner, Frederick W. Richardson.
The Pylades is a screw cruiser of the third class, and waa commissioned to the Australian Station in 1899. Her displacement is 1420 tons, horse-power 950, and speed 21.6 knots. She carries 14 guns. Her officers are: —-Commander, Reginald G. 0. Tupper ; . navigating lieutenant Arthur' Truscott; lieutenants, Cecil F. L. Watson, John Kiddle, John W. Nash; staff surgeon, Walter G. Atford; paymaster, Theodore T. Lanyon; chief engineer, Charles J. ITuddy; gunner, Edwin H. Neale.
Permanent link to this item
ARRIVAL OF THE WARSHIPS AT LYTTELTON., Press, Volume LVIII, Issue 10996, 20 June 1901
ARRIVAL OF THE WARSHIPS AT LYTTELTON. Press, Volume LVIII, Issue 10996, 20 June 1901
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).