The consecration of the Church of England at Balcairn, dedicated to St. Barnabas, took place oil Wednesday afternoon, in presence of a large congregation. Great credit is due to the churph members of that part of the diocese for their efforts in raising the funds for the erection of a very neat church upon the site presented by Mr J. Lister. The ceremony was conducted by Bishop Julius, assisted by-Revs. Yen. Archdeacon Cholmondeiey, H. E. East, F. P. Tendail, C. A. Tobin, R. F- Gairbett and F. Dunnage. Tine Bishop preached from the text "Things which are seen are temporal; things which are r.ot seen are eternal." In the evening the Bishop gave a lecture on the North of Ireland. A handsome cloth %oa -gfreK-fcy After the seivice in the morning the Bishop and clergy and visitors were entertained at tea by Sirs Lister and Mrs, Evans. The church, consisting of nave, porch, vestry, and temporary chancel, has been built at a cost of about £340, including furniture, etc. The contract for the building has been carried out by Air G. Thompson, of Rangiora, and tha workmanship and materials used are of the best. The windows are of cathedral glass in lead-lights of two tints, the east window of three lights being of a more elaborate design. The whole of the interior wodwork is of rimu, the altar rail and benches being oiled, and the walls done in diagonal panelling of narrow lining. The western gable carries a pointed bell-turret 40ft high, surmounted by a wrought-iron cross. The benches were made by Mr J. Wilson, of Seiton. Much enthusiasm has been shown by the residents of Balcairn in promoting the erection of the church, and the vicar is to be congratulated on the manifestation of much generous liberality by his parishioners in making offerings of furniture, etc., for the building. The following gifts have been made: —The church' site, containing 1 rood near the centre of the township, three mammoth lamps, and a vestry table, Mrs Lister; chancel carpets of ecclesiastical pattern, matting, ami. door mats, Mrs Bruere; leadlights for the windows, Mrs C Ensor and Mrs W. H. Lane; altar frontal with fall and orphzeys, beautifully designed and worked, with cover, Mrs Christopher Scott, Papatiui; communion linen, Mrs Starky; stone font and platform, Mrs T. H. Evans; bell, Addington vestry; porch lamp, the vicar; prayer desk, credence bracket, altar foot-pace, organ ..platform, foundation date stone, folding steps, churchyard gate, Mr T. H. Evans; lectern, Amberley vestry; alms. bag, Mrs" Mannering, Ti-papa; scraper to porch, Mr W. B. Reed; sanctuary chair, Mr J. Wilson. In addition to these, a new organ has been given by the parishioners, the cost, £27 10s, having been collected by Miss Lister. All the carting of the materials from the railway station was done gratuitously by Mrs Bruere's teams, and the shingle for the concrete foundations was brought to the church site by a working bee of mamy men and teams, a whole day being given in this way, the ladies providing refreshments in the riverbed, and so turning the occasion into a . veritable picnic. The churchyard has been laid out very tastefully by Mr T. H. Evans at his own expense. Hβ has also provided for the carrying away of storm water from the church roofs and churchyard by means of concrete channelling'ami underground drainage. A sum of £41 7s 8d has been contributed by special offertories from fourteen parishes in aid of the building fund, and the balance required has been raised locally.
Permanent link to this item
BALCAIRN CHURCH., Press, Volume LVII, Issue 10683, 15 June 1900
BALCAIRN CHURCH. Press, Volume LVII, Issue 10683, 15 June 1900
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).