WEDDING OF LADY AUGUSTA BOYLE
(FROM OCR OWN CORRESPONDENT.) LONDON, May 7. Lady Augusta Boyle, the eldest daughtei of the Earl and Countess of Glasgow, was married on the 28th ult. to Mi Charles Lindsay Orr-Ewing, M.P. for Ayr Burghs, at Fairlie Parisu Church. The decoration of the edifice was in the best possible taste, the severe jriainness of the building emphasising the tine effect. Long streamers oi festoons oi foliage hung irom the roof, palms and ferns were judiciously disposed, while the choir, chancel, and entrance passages were one mass of sweet-smelling and delicate blooms.
The front part of the church was reserved for the wedding party, among whom were the Earl and Countess of Glasgow-, the Countess of Eglinton, the Countess of Northesk. Lord and Lady Ihverolyde. the lion. Miss Burns, Lady Elizabeth Boyle, Colonel the Hon. Robert Boyle, the Hon. A] r $ iVluir, Mr and tiie Hon. Mrs Orr-Ewino Lady Hunter-Blah, Lady Orr-Ewing, Hunter-Blair, Captain and Mrs Johnston Stuart, Mr J. Gathorne Hardy. Captain Clayton, and Mr John Boyle, uncle of the bride.
The ceremony was performed by the Very Rev. Dr. Cameron Lees. Doun of the Chapel Royal, St. Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh assisted by the Rev. Arthur Allan, of Fairlie. Mr Orr-Ewing had as his best mar his brother, Major On-lowing. Lady Augusta, who was given away by liei father, had ten bridesmaids, these being her two sisters, Ladies Alice and Dorothy Boyle, the Misses Dalrymplo-Hay, Miss Stuart, Miss Williams, the Misses Orr-Ewing, and Mis* Janet OrrEwing, daughtei of the bridegroom. Master lan Orr-Ewing, a boy of four, attired in a white satin Court suit, acted as train-bearer.
The wedding dress was of white satin, elaborately trimmed with chilfon and orange blossoms, which were- brought in the form of a large V down the front of the trained skirt. The orthodox bridal blossoms also decorated the bodice, which was almost completely covered with chiffon tucked with bebe ribbon, ovei which jewels, glistened. The white tulle veil was also fastened with a spray of the blossoms, while the glittering diamonds worn by the bride were the. gift of the bridegroom. The soft frocks worn by the bridesmaids were at onco becoming and smart. They were of white gauze over yellow, the appearance being enhanced by the broad yellow sashes which they wore, together with wreaths of yellow roses, which formed the crown, from which tulle veils fell gracefully down the back. This fashion of bridesmaids wearing veils is an old one revived, and a becoming fashion it is, too, especially to such j'oung and pretty girls as those who attended Lady Augusta Boyle. At the close ot the ceremony the party drove to Kelburn Castle, where a reception was held. Shortly after live o'clock the uride and bridegroom left the Castle and went by special train to Milton, Lady Hunter-Blair's place, where they stayed till Tuesday last, on which day they left for Paris, intending to go on subsequently to' Venice and the Italian Lakes, returning afterwards to London. The bride looked remarkably pretty in hei going-away dress, which was of pala bluish-grey cloth, made with a pouched bodice, the revers of white satin covered with steel jewels opening ovei a chiffon and lace vest. The hat was of coarse straw, prettily trimmed with white chiffon, blue hyacinths, and having a single black plume fastened at the left side.
Over two hundred wedding presents were received, among them being much valuable jewellery and silver plate, as well m several useful gifts from tradespeople and others. The following is> a list of the principal presents—From the Earl and Countess of Glasgow, a necklace in turquoise and pearls in an antique setting; from the bride'a brothers and sisters, a diamond bracelet; from Lady Hunter-Blair, tin antique snake necklace; from Sir Charles Orr-Ewing, a pearl bracelet; trom Lady Orr-Ewing, a diamond and pearl ring; from Mrs OrrEwing, a turquoise and pearl necklace with pendants from Princess Hohenlohe, sleeve links; from Mr and Mrs Pelham Burns, a sapphire and diamond bangle; from Sii W. and Lady Holsworfch, a timjuoise and diamond chain bracelet; from Major Orr-Ewing, a diamond pendant; from Lord and Lady Eglinton, a brooch; from Ladj Folkestone, a butterßy brooch; from Lord Valletore, t\ diamond and sapphire pin; from Mr and Lady Beatrice Kemp, sleeve links; from Mr and Mrs W. Mure, a sapphire and diamond brooch; from **x and Mrs J. Arthur, a diamond and pearl pendant and brooch; from Mr and Mrs S. Bowlbey, diamond butterfly brooch; Mr and Mrs Ferguson Buchanan, a gem watch; from the Rev. Mr Keith, an opal bracelet. Tlk other presents included many valuable pieces of antique nnd modern silver/ sets of silver buttons and some handsome buckles. The p&ople of Fairlie gavt a tea service with modern tray, and the servants at Kelburne a writing-case and blottei richly mounted in silver. Silver flower vase* were the gift of tne Duchess of Buckingham, old English glass from Lord, and Lady Knutsford, silver butter dishes from Lord and Lady Hopel'oun, &c. *■'
Permanent link to this item
WEDDING OF LADY AUGUSTA BOYLE, Press, Volume LV, Issue 10060, 11 June 1898
WEDDING OF LADY AUGUSTA BOYLE Press, Volume LV, Issue 10060, 11 June 1898
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).