ARTHUR MORTON OLLIVIER.
By the death of Mr Arthur Morton Ollivier, which occurred at 12.20 a.m. today, there has been removed from our midst one whose many estimable qualities will be long remembered by all who knew him, and the news of his untimely decease, at the early age of forty-seven, though not unexpected, will bo received throughout the colony with unfeigned regret. Mr Ollivier could not be called a public man, though he was well known to the public, more particularly in athletic circles. He was most k _d and generous, though his charity was never ostentatious. In all he did he was straightforward and thorough, doing whatever he turned his attention to with a degree of enthusiasm which earned for him the esteem of oil associated with him. In cricket, football and all amateur sport, as a chess player or as an amateur gardener, he was equally enthusiastic. His responsibilities were many, but he discharged them with tact and judgment, and few in thi3 community set a better example of the characteristics which go towards the making of a true citizen.
Mr A. M. Ollivier was the eighth son oi tbe late Mr John Ollivier, and was born in London in March, 1851, his parents coming out to the colony in 1853. He went to Christ's College in January, 1862, and remained in that institution under the tuition of the Very Rev. the Dean and Mr (now the Rev.) R. Broughton until 1865, when he entered upon his business career. At school he was popular with his schoolmates, and was a prominent figure in the games and pastimes. He became a Fellow of Christ's College, and in 1895 was elected President of the Old Boys' Association, a position he held up to the time of his death. His first engagement in business wai with the firm of Messrs J. 1). Macpherson and Co., which afterwards became Matheson's Agency, and after that he was for many years with Messrs .7. T. Ford and Co. Upon relinquishing his position there he joined Mr Trevor Grierson in the business of accountants and auditors, and the partnership continued until April of last year. As a Canterbury representative cricketer Mr Ollivier made a name for himself early in his career, it being thirty years ago last February since he first played for the province against Otago. This match was the fourth of the series between the sister provinces, and it is worthy of note that it was the first big contest that was played on the present ground in Hagley Park. Mr Ollivier, then but a lad, was one of the youngest cricketers who ever represented Canterbury, and, though he was played for his fielding, he signalised his first appearance by making the only double figures (11) on the Canterbury side. He again played for Canterbury against Otago in the following year, but an accident prevented his inclusion in the team until 1871. He also played during the next two seasons, but was absent in 1874. The following season inaugurated a series of seven win 3in succession for Canterbury, and those successes were in no small measure due to the batting of Mr Ollivier, who played for tbe last time against Otago in 1879. He took part in the first match between Canterbury and Auckland, and in that of 1882, and he twice played against the Australian team, making top score (36) against the first team, when fifteen of Canterbury inflicted tho only defeat upon them that they sustained in the colonies before going Home. He played for Eighteen of Canterbury against the English team in 1876. He was the most successful Canterbury batsman who visited Victoria in 1878, his best display being 37 and 46 not out against the strong East Melbourne Club. In matches of less importance Mr Ollivier was a heavy scorer. An accident prevented Mr Ollivier from playing after 1883, but he still took a lively interest in the game, and he was for a number of years the sole selector of representative teams. He was appointed to select the first New Zealand team which played against New South Wales (1893). ]3e was a Vice-President of the Canterbury Cricket Association. His first Club was the United (of which he became a life member), and he played for it until the Lancaster Park Club was started. Mr Ollivier wa_ also a good footballer and a member of the Christchurch Club. In 1875 he played for Canterbury against Auckland, and in 1880 against Otago. He was one of the finest chess players in New Zealand, and occupied the position of champion of the Canterbury Club for some time, while in 1888 he won the championship of the colony. Further evidence of his fondness for healthy recreation is given in his enthusiasm for angling and mountaineering. He was a great lover of flowers and a skilful gardener, as shown by his frequent successes at the shows of the Christchurch Horticultural Society. Of that Society, and of the Acclimatisation Society and the Alpine .Club, he was an active and useful member.
Other institutions, of a different class, with which he was connected were—the Chamber of Commerce, the Heathcote Road Board and the New Zealand Institute of Accountants, and in the affairs of these bodies he always displayed sound common sense.
Mr Ollivier married the daughter of the late Mr Wm. Thomson, and leaves s. family of two sons and a daughter, who will have the regretful sympathy of the whole community in their great loss. His death occurred, as stated, at his residence, Opawa, after a comparatively brief and painless illness. Some little time ago, be went on a trip to the South Sea Islands, and on returning was ordered to Castle Hill. He was brought home a week or two ago in a very serious condition, and since then he gradually sank until he passed away early this morning, deeply regretted by all.
Permanent link to this item
OBITUARY., Press, Volume LIV, Issue 9868, 21 October 1897
OBITUARY. Press, Volume LIV, Issue 9868, 21 October 1897
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).