THE LATE MR, S. NASHELSKI.
The news of the death of Mr S. Nashek ski,. which took place v - at 11.45 'vplm. on May sth, will be learned with regret, not only by a large circle of friends, but by the general body of the citizens of Christchurch, amongst whom the deceased gentleman has lived so long. Mr Nasheltiki was born in Lubrahitz, Russian Poland, in 1822. On account of the first decree issued by the Emperor Nicholas, that youths over fourteen years should be liable to be taken to serve in the Imperial army, young Nashelski, who had just reached that age, left his native place. He was subsequently taken by the Prussians into the fortifications of Posen,'where he remained a political refugee under military orders. Here he was located about fifteen months. When released, he-was favoured' with the "march road," and under marching orders .made straight for England. • In the home of lioerty he followed different occupations, and passed through various ups and downs, such as might be expected in the career of a young adventurer in a strange land. In 1852, under engagement to Messrs P. and D. Folk and Co.,'whom he served for three years, Mr Nashei&ki*aued away for Victoria, to which the eyes of all the world had just been turned, as the certain road to big nuggets and high fortune, leaving to set up for himself as a general dealer, carrying on business on the Ballarat, Castlemaine, and Inglewood goldfields. He returned to Melbourne, and entered into partnership with the late Mr Julius Mendelson, of Temuktt, and Mr Jacob Caro, carrying on business as general storekeepers at Sandhurst, Little River, Yackandaodah. When the Ofcago goldfields were.discovered Mr Nashelski abandoned Victoria, and, in conjunction with his nephew, Mr H. Nashelski, opened in Rattray street, Dunedin, as general merchants. Here two years passed rapidly away. In the meantime Mr Jacob Caro — Mr Nasheiski's former partner—in conjunction with Mr H. Cohn (now of Messrs B. Petersen and Co.) had opened in Christchurch, and, being desirous of disposing of their business, Mr Nashelski became the purchaser, and in consequence he removed to Christchurch In 1881 arriving on the day on which the foundation scone of the Cathedral was laid. For the first few years after his location in the City of the Plains the business was carried on in conjunction with Mr H. Nashelski, but subsequently on Mr S. Nasheiski's own account. There are few of our citizens who were better known in Christchurch than the subject of this brief sketch, and it may be said there were none more respected. Mr Nasheiski's kindly disposition, unassuming manners, and genial urbanity for him universal respect, whilst his generous hospitality and numerous sterling qualities endeared him to a host of friends. Although a faithful and consistent supporter ol the. faith of his people, Mr Nashelski has shown, in the distribution of his charities, that he was no respecter of nationalities or creeds, bis lengthened and very varied experience amongst English-speaking people—more especially in the colonies—having rendered him thoroughly cosmopolitan in his sentiments. He was a leading member of the Canterbury Jewish congregation who, in Mr Nashelski, will lose a most liberal supporter. He was a countryman of the present Rabbi, MrChadowski, with whom during the last month he has been, dis* cusaing with great interest the Talmudical laws. Ills career iv very many respects has been a wonderful one, and the lesapn of it is as encouraging as, it Is valuable, i la the course of » -pjae life Mr
Nashelsld bad many varied experiences ; but, whatever his sore trials and vicissitudes, hope, industry, perseverance, and frugality enabled him to triumph over all difficulties, to land him at last in a haven of independence and rest; —a noble example to our colonial youth. It should be mentioned that Mr Kashelski was a member o£ bury Lodge, B.C. of the 'Masonic body, also a member of the Canterbury Kilwinning Royal Arch Chapter, and amongst the nrethren of the mystic tie he held a high position. Mr Nashelski was many times solicited to enter public life, but always steadily refused. As an employer Mr Nashelski endeared himself to all in his service, and no better proof of this can be given than the fact that three of his leading employees have been with him twenty-five, twenty-three, and fifteen years respectively. Mr Nashelski had for many years been a martyr to rheumatic gout, and had been to the Hanmer Plains to seek relief. For a time after his return from the springs lie was much better, but some three mouths ago a severer attack set in from which he never recovered, and he quietly and peacefully passed away, surrounded by his family and a number of his more intimate mends. He leaves a widow and family of five, two girls and three boys, tbe youngest of whom is six years of age. The funeral of the late Mr Nashelski took place on Wednesday May 7th, at the' Public Cemetery. In addition to a very large number of private friends and citizens generally the brethren of the Canterbury Lodge, 104S, B.C. of which the deceased gentlemen was a member, together with brethren of other Lodges, formed part of the funeral (procession. The service was conducted by Bey. Eabb Chadowski.