DEATH OF THE HON. W. ROBINSON.
We regret to announce that the Hon. William Robinson, who, as we stated yesterday, had been suffering from heart disease, died at his town residence, Park terrace, yesterday afternoon. His medical attendant, Dr. NedwiU, had been in constant atcendance at the bedside of the deceased for tbe last three days, and other medical skill was called in. Being a man of strong constitution, it was hoped he might pull through, but these hopes were not realised, and he passed away ac 1 p.m. yesterday. The Hon. W. Robinson was born at Bold Hall, near Warrington, Lancashire. He came out to South Australia in 1639 or 1840, and being a shrewd, keen man of business he took advantage of opportunities, and was quickly on the road to wealth. He dealt largely in stock between South Australia and. the other colonies, and he purchased what turned out one of the grandest estates in the former colony, the River Hill estate, Which he afterwards sold to the Hon. C. B. Fisher. Mr Robinson came to New Zealand in 1856, having laid the foundation of the wealth for which he has been famous. He purchased from the Nelson Government the Cheviot Hills estate, lying between the Hurunui and Waiau Rivers. It was the parchase of this run, and the payment therefor in cash, which gave him the souDriquetof "Ready Money Robinson." The estate consists of 8_,243 acres, and according to a printed Parliamentary Paper laid on the cable of the House this session, is returned in the property tax returns as worth consideraoly over dSSOO.OOO, For a time Mr Robinson lived in Nelson, before he settled on the estate, and his experiences in travelling, as a pioneer, overland from Nelson to Canterbury would be interesting to learn could a record be obtained. W hen he purchased the Cheviot Hills, the ruu was, so to speak, one large paddock, the sea and River Hurunui forming two of the boundaries. There were then only three small wliares upon it. The homestead and other buildings, which it now boasts, are some of the finest of their kind in the colony. A large quantity of the land has been broken up and sown in English grass, and an idea may be gathered of the value of a year's produce, when it is stated that last year _)?y bales of wool were shipped from the estate. The wool is sent away direct to Lyttelton, Air Robinson having pro vided shipping facilities at a small port, whicn is named Port Robinson. The Hon. W. Robinson went to England in 1861 and stayed there two years. About che year 1879 he was called to tha Legislative Council, and though he has not taken any very prominent part in the political history of the colony, still his shrewd common sense has been exerted on more than one occasion for the benefit of his fellow colonists. In general politics Mr Robinson has taken but little interest. He was a prominent figure in the racing world, having early tv-en a very lively, interest in sport. He has owned and run horses in all the great races iv New Zealand and Australia, and during his stay in , England he was engaged on the turf. In sporting matters , in U—aterbury he has always taken a very great interest, and was a prominent member of the C.J.C. and Tattersall's Club. A more extended record of Mr Robinson's career with regard to racing matters will be found below. Mr Robinson was seventy-six years of age. His wife died about fifteen years ago. He leaves five daughters, three of whom are' married, namely, Mrs C. R. Campbell, Mrs H. D. Bell (wife of the Crown Prosecutor, Wellington), and Mrs H. P. Lance. He has one brother (Mr Thos. Robinson), re siding in Christenurch, one of whose sons (Mr W. Robinson) has been manager of che Cheviot Hills station for the past twelve years.
Permanent link to this item
DEATH OF THE HON. W. ROBINSON., Press, Volume XLVI, Issue 7411, 10 September 1889
DEATH OF THE HON. W. ROBINSON. Press, Volume XLVI, Issue 7411, 10 September 1889
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Press. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence. This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Christchurch City Libraries (1921-1945).