Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


SUCCESS OP CANTERBURY Fast and exciting hockey marked the first match for the New Zealand Hockey Challenge Shield since the declaration of war. Canterbury lifted the trophy from Auckland after it had been held here since the 1931 season. After running up a first spell lead of 3—o, Canterbury's confidence of success seemed fully justified. Auckland then changed its tactics, and in an exciting finish managed to reduce the margin to leave the field with the score at 4 goals to 3 against them. And so the record of only once goal difference in the score of every shield match played between these two provinces was maintained. Setting an exceptionally fast pace from the opening bully, both sides gave a sparkling exhibition of the game, and although Auckland had the better of the play territorially the stickwork and combination of the visitors shaded that of the holders. Added to this, the brilliant display of the Canterbury custodian, G. Bremner, virtually won the match, especially in the closing stages, when the Auckland forwards were dominating the play and taking advantage of the tiring opposition to put up a prolonged but unsuccessful bombardment of the goal. B. Duffield opened the scoring after fifteen minutes of play, when he neatly weaved his way past four defenders and netted. The second goal was scored by R. Moir after a brilliant run down the left, and the third when a penalty goal was awarded as a result of a breach of a penalty bully against R. Jenkins, the Auckland goalkeeper. After two minutes' play in the second spell L. Wyatt notched Auckland's first goal from a penalty corner, and later R. Roughton added another by winning a penalty bully, which G. Bremner Incurred when he dropped his stick to stop a hot shot with both hands. Then E. Thomas put the visitors further ahead when, with clever stickwork in the circle he outwitted the Auckland defence and cleverly juggled the ball into the net. For the remainder of the spell the Auckland forwards hammered away at the Canterbury defence, and although L. Wyatt snapped up a chance and found the net from a bout of close circle play, it was at this stage of the game that the visiting goalie made some spectacular saves, and managed to hold the one goal lead for his side.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

HOCKEY SHIELD LOST, Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 190, 13 August 1945

Word Count

HOCKEY SHIELD LOST Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 190, 13 August 1945

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.