Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


E FRANKTON TRAGEDY T MINE EMPLOYEE'S DEATH n O.C. ■ HAMILTON, this day. it A verdict of murder by some perd son unknown was returned by Mr. 1- S. L. Paterson, coroner, this morn'F ing at the inquest into the death of h Edward Herbert Clarke, aged 22, r. mine employee, of Glen ■r whose body was found in Dinsdale' Road, Frankton, on the morning of c. May 10. s Noel Richardson, a corporal in n the Air Force, said he parked his il car in the garage at his mother's r home in Dinsdale Road, near where e Clarke's body was found, late on the 0 Wednesday night and saw nothing unusual. Next morning a little girl r neighbour told him the dead body e of a man was lying near the gatee way. He telephoned the police and s later assisted in a search, in which ; - a man's handkerchief was found near 1 the corner of Dinsdale Road and 1 Whatawhata Road. Severe Blows on Skull Doctor A. G. Waddell, in describing the injuries, said there was a ragged incised wound on the head and a bruise on the right shoulder. The brain was severely lacerated and there were indications of two severe blows on the skull, with facial lacerations. The two severe blows were probably caused by a heavy blunt instrument. Marshall Ross Jones, aged 21, of the Hopu Hopu Military Camp, said he had known Clarke for two years. He saw him at a dance at 10 p.m. on Wednesday, May 9. Clarke invited witness to a party at Frankton but witness declined the invitation. Witness did not know the nature or location of the party. Eileen Patricia O'Connor, a single woman, of Whatawhata Road, said she saw Clarke in Victoria Street at 11.15 p.m. A brother of deceased, George Norman Clarke, of Dinsdale Road, si'iid that on Tuesday, May 8, the deceased appeared a little worried about something but gave no information as to its nature. His brother left witness' house at 6 p.m. on the Wednesday. Later witness found in the room his brother generally used, the coat and tie worn by deceased when going out, though he could not swear they were worn that night. Witness had no idea how the coat and tie reached his home. No Indication of Struggle Senior-Detective W. R. Murray said that from an examination of the locality he concluded that Clarke received his injuries at the spot where his body was found, but there was no indication of a struggle. Witness was of the impression that Clarke was the victim of a vicious attack. A sports coat and tie were missing from his apparel and these were later found at the home of his brother, George Clarke. Mr. Murray said the deceased had more than the usual number of acquaintances •among girls and women and apparntly made no distinction between single and married women. His moral character was regarded as not of the best. Despite extensive inquiry, particularly among women acquaintances, no one appeared to be able to give facts bearing on the tragedy or on Clarke's movements after 11.15 p.m. Hundreds of people had been interrogated. No tra&e could be found of his having attended a party that night. Clarke was of a happy, carefree disposition.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

MURDER VERDICT, Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 190, 13 August 1945

Word Count

MURDER VERDICT Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 190, 13 August 1945