Hi folks. Complete the Papers Past survey to let us know what you’d like added over the next few years. ×
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


j l ;CHARGE OF MURDER JALLEGED STATEMENT A lengthy statement alleged to have been made by the accused after j his arrest was produced in the Police Court this afternoon when : .ijthe hearing of the charge of murder against Stanley Winwood McKissick ■Reid (41), labourer and range fitter, : i was continued. It is alleged by the Crown that Reid murdered Mrs. :Lily Williamena Hammond at her : ihome in Seddon Street, Otahuhu, on iJuly 9. The charge was heard before Mr. ■ >J. H. Luxford, S.M. Mr. G. S. R. ;j Meredith led the evidence for the Crown, and Mr. Hall Skelton, in- ■; jstructed by Mr. George Skelton, ; j appeared for accused. After detailing observations made ! by him in the house where the body was found on July 9, Detectiveil; .Sergeant F. N. Aplin said there was (■no evidence of any struggle having I i> , ; taken place in any of the rooms. As a result of information received at 6.15 p.m. on July 11 witness went ; in a police car with Detective D. A. iHalpin to St. Heliers and at 6.30 he I saw accused in a room in a private ••,;; hotel. Accused said to witness, "I supI'pose you want me to go with you?" On being told by witness that he would like to see him at the detective office accused replied, "All right, I'll come with you." On the way to the city, said Detec-tive-Sergeant Aplin, accused said, "I was going to give myself up, only I don't know you fellows. Some are all right, some are not." Reid then said: "You were pretty quick in finding me. I was going to Whangarei to-night." On arrival at the detective office accused said: "1 want to clear it. up. I don't want to make things any worse than they are." Witness said that after accused had expressed a desire to make an explanation, and had been duly warned, he made a statement which he read and signed as being correct. This statement was read by witness to the Court. Advertised For Lodgings In his alleged statement to Detective-Sergeant Aplin on July 11 I accused said he was single and a bootmaker by trade, his usual place of residence being Wellington, where his mother and father lived. The manpower authorities -directed him to work at the Challenge phosphate works, and he started work there towards the end of March. For the purpose of getting board and lodgings near the works he advertised ffl and received two replies, one being M from Mrs. Hammond, of 2, Seddon m Street, Otahuhu. He saw Mrs. Ham--11l mond and she accepted his offer to iff pay £2 10/ a week. He went to IS board at the house, leaving for work 'M at 7.30 a.m. daily and returning at H 5 p.m. Mrs. Hammond used to cut 1 his lunch each day. At that timp H Mr. Hammond was working as a >M plumber on the railway and. came i; home every night. Mr. Dick Galla- | gher, who worked at the glassworks \ at Penrose, was also boarding at the house. "Mr. and Mrs. Hammond had two children, a boy and a girl," continued Reid in his statement. "Mr. and Mrs. Hammond were very good to me, and I got on all right with them both. I suffer with a diseased earbone and I stayed home after finishing work on Monday, July 2, intending to see a doctor about my ear. "Up until about three weeks ago Mr: Hammond" used to be home every night, but about that time he went to Helensville to work on the railway, and then came home at ; week-ends. While he was away the only persons living in the house were Dick Gallagher and myself and Mrs;, Hammond and her two children. She occupied a bedroom at the front of the house and the chili dren a bedroom at the side. "Just after Mr. Hammond went to Helensville, and while Dick Gallagher was out for the evening and the two children were in bed, I became friendly with Mrs. Hammond," continued Reid. "We sat in front of the fire in the kitchen and chatted. : I did not go out much at night and I used to stay home and chat with I Mrs. Hammond in the kitchen. On Monday, July 9, I got up about half I past seven and went into the kit !| chen, and Dick Gallagher and Mrs. l| Hammond and I had breakfast toI gether. Mr. Hammond left to catch I the train to • Helensville about 7.30 I and Gallagher left for work at about 1 7.45. The children went to school I 1 after breakfast. I stayed at home and gave Mrs. Hammond a hand to clean up the house 'and do the breakfast I dishes." Visit to Doctor Reid said that about 10.30 that ! morning he changed into his best ■ clothes and went to Otahuhu to see Dr. Irwin about his ear. After giving a prescription to a chemist, who told him to call back about 3 p.m., he returned to Hammond's house with Malcolm Hammond,. whom he met in the main street at lunch time. !e and Malcolm and Mrs. Hammond id dinner together. After Malcolm ent back to school about 12.45, he id Mrs. Hammond sat down in the tchen' and talked. There was. a ittle of beer in the kitchen and he >ened it. Reid said he and Mrs. Hammond )th drank the beer, each having a ip. He had another glass of beer id emptied the bottle. Mrs. Hamond had a.bottle with a little wine it and he got it and had a small ass of wine. "About 1.30 p.m. I went into my droom to mend a pair of boots," ntinued the statement. "Mrs. Hamjnd then came into my- bedroom d- said she wanted to buy a piano, that the boy could learn to play. Ie asked me if I would buy one. said that I did not have enough )ney to buy a piano and an arguBnt started. I owne,d a blade razor, lich I kept on the dressing table d in my bedroom. It was there ien Mrs. Hammond and I were »uing. 'Mrs. Hammond was standing in int of the dressing table and I was _.;ween her and the door. She picked up the razor from the dressing table. She said, 'I ought to kill you.' I made to take the razor off her and a struggle ensued and I got the ; razor. In the struggle she fell against ij the corner of the dressing table and I fell to the floor. Body Pnt in Closet "When she fell to the floor she i started to yell and I got some clothg ing from the bed and put it round j the front of, her face to stop "her yellJ ing.'l lost control of myself at that i time and I drew the razor across her P throat twice; "blood started to ooze I out of her throat. She' was lying B aown on her. side-by the dressing II table at that time and facing towards I the wall by the window.. She lay still. II then took off all her clothes, which I were covered in blood, picked her 1 up and put her in the closet in my |! it bedroom so that the children would I not see her," the alleged statement T continued.

i Accused then detailed how he I tidied up the bedroom and disposed I of the blood-stained clothes. He also told how the Hammond children came home before he left the house » and came to Auckland by bus. He *• said he went to see the Rev. Mr. Moreton and later went to a boarding house, where he booked in in L the name of "Watts." On the followj ing day he went to a boarding house _! at St. Heliers, using the name of 3 "Watson." r Detective-Sergeant Aplin said that e when he informed the accused he -, was to be charged with the murder of Mrs. Hammond, he said: "My God! 1 I never thought it would come to 5 this." •, Roland Malcolm Hammond, lius--2 band of the deceased, said he was ;. a plumber employed by the Railr ways Department. "My wife and I 1 always got on well together," he said. "She was a most even ■ tempered woman, with a lovable ', disposition. When I first met Reid j he told me he was a married man " and that his wife and child had been , killed in a motor accident on the Rimutakas about -nine months pre--2 viously. He had onlv one suitcase / with him when he came to stay at - our house. He appeared to be quite 3 normal and there was nothing ? unusual in his behaviour." 3 The Rev. G. E. Moreton detailed a t conversation he had with accused t when he called at witness' office in ■ Khyber Pass Road about 4 p.m. on July 9. - Dr. Walter Gilmour, pathologist at the Auckland Hospital, described a ■ post-mortem he made on the body of deceased. In his opinion death ; was due to loss of blood from a ■ cut throat. Numerous cuts on > deceased's hands showed that she had resisted. [ (Proceeding)

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item


Bibliographic details

POLICE STORY, Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 188, 10 August 1945

Word Count

POLICE STORY Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 188, 10 August 1945

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.