MURDER ATTEMPT CHARGE
ACCUSED REFUSED BAIL
In making application for bail for Reginald Henry Edwards, aged 60, who appeared in the Rotorua Police Court to-day on a charge of the attempted murder of Chris McDonald at Rerewhakaitu last month, Mr. J. D. Davys said the preliminary hearing would be held before justices on August 2. Counsel quoted a recent decision of a magistrate at Dargaville to grant bail to a person held on a similar charge.
Counsel said Edwards had borne an exemplary character.
Detective-Sergeant A. J. White opposed bail. He said the prosecution would shbw that the shooting was deliberate, and in any case Edwards lived in an isolated area. Members of his family would be material witnesses and it was not in the interests of justice that he should go home without any police jurisdiction.
Counsel then put forward a proposal that accused would be prepared to remain in Rotorua and report daily.
"This is not a case for bail," said Mr. S. L. Paterson, S.M., He was not impressed by the decision in Dargaville or the facts of that case, where a pocket knife was alleged to have been used on another man. This was a charge of deliberate shooting of another man. But for a "matter of inches, he might have been charged with murder.
Accused was remanded in custody
Permanent link to this item
ALLEGED SHOOTING, Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 174, 25 July 1945
ALLEGED SHOOTING Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 174, 25 July 1945
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Auckland Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Auckland Libraries.