AREAS AT ORAKEI
CITY COUNCIL CONTROL
Information that its decision to accept immediate control of the area at the rear of the Orakei native village and a smaller area off Kupe Street, with the stipulation that it be freed from fencing liability, had been referred to the Under-Secretary for Lands was received by the City CoUncil at its meeting last night from the Commissioner of Crown Lands.
Regarding a question asked by the commissioner as'to what extent the council considered it should be relieved from the responsibility for fencing, the city engineer, Mr. A. J. Dickson, suggested as a basis for the council's stipulation that should any adjoining owner or lessee desire to erect a fence on the boundary of any of these reserves the council should be absolved from any liability under the Fencing Act, but that should the council desire to erect a fence then the council should defray the whole cost. \ ■ ■ '
The commissioner stated that his department was agreeable to a further area in Kepa Road at the rear of the Anglican Church being reserved for recreational purposes.
Mr. Dickson said that no portion of the area behind the Orakei native village was suitable for immediate development, as had been suggested by local sports organisations.
Permanent link to this item
AREAS AT ORAKEI, Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 170, 20 July 1945
AREAS AT ORAKEI Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 170, 20 July 1945
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Auckland Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Auckland Libraries.